Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Boot drive?

04 Dec 2014   #31
gregrocker

 

Shrink C as desired using Disk Mgmt which is most reliable. Then create your data partition in Disk Mgmt.

then post back a shot of Disk Mgmt.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Dec 2014   #32
Hans L

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Shrink C as desired using Disk Mgmt which is most reliable. Then create your data partition in Disk Mgmt.

then post back a shot of Disk Mgmt.
Greg, I would be more than happy to do that, but after using PW to (unsuccessfully) shrink the C: drive (partition), I cannot get the new SSD to work and start up my computer. I have done everything I did before, and then some, and when Windows starts up, and the four color dots kinda' wobble together, a Blue Screen appears for 1/10th of a second (so I cannot read it), and startup fails.

I have tried everything for at least 3-4 hours now, and nothing works. I am about to reinstall Windows from my disk, but will you believe this, as I tried at an early stage (about two days ago), the Product Key did not work. The error message said it was the wrong code. I called MS today, and they said: "Do the install again, and call us when it gives you the error message." Such a relief ... NOT!

I could cry, but instead, I drink wine. And try to keep calm, but I am thinking: "Did PW give me a $200.00 piece of shit ... I mean sheet ... metal." Well, the SSD is recognized, but I cannot get it to start up Windows, in spite of copying two different images to it.

I am exhausted, but not beat. I will continue!!!

Hans L
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2014   #33
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Have you tried to install windows from the dvd yet or just from images ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2014   #34
gregrocker

 

These are only minor setbacks that probably could have been avoided if the steps had been followed more closely. Partition Wizard never fails when using the boot disk. Disk Management never fails period, and for operations it can do (like shrinking from the right) then it should be used. Had you asked we would have told you this.

Since something probably interrupted PW when it was rebooting to resize if using the Windows version, then the install is probably scrambled and not reparable if you've already tried Startup Repair and System Restore from System Recovery Options

So boot the disk and follow all steps in Clean Reinstall Windows 7, deleting all partitions to create the new OS partition and the data partition as it suggests in the steps to do once you know what partition scheme you want. Just be sure to highlight the first large partition before you click Next to install.

Rejecting due to an invalid Product Key is always a bad character being inputted. Examine the COA sticker under a magnifier to be sure that the characters are correct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2014   #35
Hans L

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Have you tried to install windows from the dvd yet or just from images ?
Yes, and it did not accept my product code. Called MS yesterday, but they did not want to give me a code then. They said: INstall Windows, and when you come to the problem point, call us again :-(

In a short while, I plan to try again.

Regards,

Hans L
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2014   #36
Hans L

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
These are only minor setbacks that probably could have been avoided if the steps had been followed more closely. Partition Wizard never fails when using the boot disk. Disk Management never fails period, and for operations it can do (like shrinking from the right) then it should be used. Had you asked we would have told you this.

Since something probably interrupted PW when it was rebooting to resize if using the Windows version, then the install is probably scrambled and not reparable if you've already tried Startup Repair and System Restore from System Recovery Options

So boot the disk and follow all steps in Clean Reinstall Windows 7, deleting all partitions to create the new OS partition and the data partition as it suggests in the steps to do once you know what partition scheme you want. Just be sure to highlight the first large partition before you click Next to install.

Rejecting due to an invalid Product Key is always a bad character being inputted. Examine the COA sticker under a magnifier to be sure that the characters are correct.
Thank you, Greg. I will reinstall. As I said to AddRAM a minute ago: "Yes [I tried to do a reinstall from my Windows dvd], and in the end, it did not accept my product code. Called MS yesterday, but they did not want to give me a code then. They said: Install Windows, and when you come to the problem point, call us again

I can add that I checked, several times, the product code I put in, and then, I gave it to the MS rep on the phone, and he confirmed that it was a valid product code! So, I will now try again, following the procedure you hyperlinked, and we will see what happens.

Incidentally, your analysis of what happened sounds very plausible. Something went really wrong at some point. I tried Startup Repair several times, but it could not do anything about the problem.

So, here we go

Hans L
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2014   #37
Hans L

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hans L View Post
I can add that I checked, several times, the product code I put in, and then, I gave it to the MS rep on the phone, and he confirmed that it was a valid product code! So, I will now try again, following the procedure you hyperlinked, and we will see what happens.
Hans L
Product code worked this time. Will go to friends for dinner. Will, when I get back, chat with Norton to stop telling me that my subscription has expired (it has not; they did it once before, and it had not expired then either).

And then, the delightful installation of all my apps :-)

Regards,

Hans L

PS. can't see any Logout button here. Is there one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2014   #38
gregrocker

 

I would not run Norton and expect endless problems if I did. The AV's which work the best are also in Clean Reinstall Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2014   #39
Hans L

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I have gotten it to work. Following advice here and in referenced webpages, I now have all my drives on the SSD. Long process when you count the reinstall of all apps. Tiring, indeed. By the way, used only Windows Disk Manager.

One final question: in one refrenced page you say, Greg, "
Never defrag an SSD". May I ask why?

Regards,

Hans L
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2014   #40
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

A ssd does not get fragmented like a hard drive, it has a finite amount of read and writes, defragmenting it will wear out the memory sooner and end it`s life sooner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Boot drive?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 has swapped my drive paths with my boot drive and sec. drive
I have just finished a pc build with a SSD to be used as the boot/OS drive and a secondary 2 HDD setup in raid 0 for storage. First I started with the SSD only and installed win7, applied all the updates etc. At this point the system has rebooted at least half a dozen times with no issue. ...
Installation & Setup
Working backup Win7 boot drive, need to fix main Win7 boot drive
Earlier today, I thought that I wanted to run a the Repair Install (as per that tutorial) to a non-booting Windows 7 (64 bit) installation on a physical drive (my SSD) which is different than the drive to which I can currently boot. That is, I can currently boot to an older installation of...
General Discussion
Boot Priority & Boot Device Control for New SSD as boot drive
After reading through lots and lots of posts and tutorials, I'm still a little confused. I worked for a carpenter one summer when I was a kid and he stressed the philosophy of measuring twice and cutting once as a rule to live by. So, before I fire up my saw, I thought I would seek a little...
Installation & Setup
New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows.
I am new and bad at computers, please take that into consideration. I installed a new SSD and then mirrored my old HDD onto the SSD. I then made the SSD my Boot Drive in Disk Management. I am a little unclear about the ramifications. First, does making the SSD my Boot Drive mean that my...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In
I have a Windows 7 install on a 60gb SSD (assigned to C: in Windows), and a 3 other drives just for storage, and programs. Windows will only boot if the SSD is the only one plugged in. BCD lists this as my only entry, and is calling the C: drive to boot. However when I load my Windows cd, this...
General Discussion
Moved boot manager, 7 drive still refuses to boot without old drive.
I've been trying all day to get to a point where I can format my old hard drive (D). I found out today that, in its infinite wisdom, the Windows 7 installer put the boot manager on a completely separate drive from my new drive (C), the one I selected for installation. Windows 7 is totally...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App