Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to Boot from Hard Drive I/O Error and Error 0xc000000f

07 Dec 2014   #31
6arrett

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post

Tried it before nothing but boot X: and the CD show up.

tried it again just now, same thing.

I guess ill proceed with a full scan using PW

If it helps to clarify, I originally installed win 7 to unallocated space, I did NOT create any partitions for anything.
Windows 7 ran smoothly until Friday night (crashed to black screen, forced to shut off computer).
Restarted Computer.
It booted into windows no problems.

I ran a Check disk scan and after it finished the computer restarted and gave me:

Error 0xc000000f "Boot Selection Failed because a required device is inaccessible."

I proceeded in trying to fix it and ended up using Windows repair disk to open command prompt and: DISKPART>LIST DISK> SELECT DISK 0> CLEAN> EXIT> EXIT

I did not understand that cleaning would basically delete all my data on the hard drive.

Currently when booting from the Hard Drive it asks for Boot Media to be inserted.

Right Now I am running full scan using Partition Wizard.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Dec 2014   #32
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

OK, then back to Partition Wizard and Full Scan.

Once you initiate Full Scan, just don't sit in front of the computer twiddling your fingers . It is going to take a long time. So get away, start doing other work, peeping in just once in a while to check the progress.

Report what you find when complete. If possible take a photo shot of the partitions shown and upload. Otherwise you have to verbally describe the partitions found and all other information on that screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2014   #33
6arrett

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
OK, then back to Partition Wizard and Full Scan.

Once you initiate Full Scan, just don't sit in front of the computer twiddling your fingers . It is going to take a long time. So get away, start doing other work, peeping in just once in a while to check the progress.

Report what you find when complete. If possible take a photo shot of the partitions shown and upload. Otherwise you have to verbally describe the partitions found and all other information on that screen.

Alright Thanks for the help ill post back again when its finished! fingers crossed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Dec 2014   #34
6arrett

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Alright so here is what we got (same as quick scan)

Choose Searched Partitions
Choose the searched deleted/lost partitions.

Please select the partitions you need from the following list:
(Double click the searched partition to explore the content.)
System Reserve Lost/Deleted
Boot Lost/Deleted
Boot Lost/Deleted
Boot Lost/Deleted
Boot Lost/Deleted

Preview:

Basic (Unallocated)
931.51 GB 931.5 GB

If MiniTool Partition Wizard can't find your lost partition, dedicated data recovery software is required to restore your data. Please try Power Data Recovery free from Free File Recovery Software - Power Data Recovery is an all-in-one free data recovery software that could help you to recover your lost data from hard disk, CD, DVD disk, memory stick, memory card, and flash drive..

Edit: Ill be checking back tomorrow morning some time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2014   #35
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

OK, ( Honestly I didn't expect you will be awake )

I think Power Data Recovery can only recover 1GB of data free if it is successful. If it could show you the data you may have to buy for full recovery.

I would rather suggest that you get going with PhotoRec in Test Disk. You may be able to recover the data free.

On how-to, go to the topic "Recovery" in Guide to using PhotoRec recovery software.

Of course you have to run it on DOS. Pictures lost, how can I recover them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2014   #36
6arrett

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
OK, ( Honestly I didn't expect you will be awake )

I think Power Data Recovery can only recover 1GB of data free if it is successful. If it could show you the data you may have to buy for full recovery.

I would rather suggest that you get going with PhotoRec in Test Disk. You may be able to recover the data free.

On how-to, go to the topic "Recovery" in Guide to using PhotoRec recovery software.

Of course you have to run it on DOS. Pictures lost, how can I recover them?
I have Hirens boot which has both of those in there, I dont really understand how to fully use it even from your links, when I use photorec im not getting the same screens in the same order, also since i cant use windows where would the program recover the data too. How would i tell it to recover the data to a USB stick?

Ill try to explain what I'm seeing:

When I ask Test Disk to Analyse My 931GiB drive all it comes back with is "No Partition is bootable"
At the bottom quick search is high lighted.
After quick Search it returns:
1. *HPFS - NTFS start: 0 32 33 End: 12 223 19 Size: 204800[System REserved]
2. P HPFS - NTFS start: 12 223 20 121601 End: 25 24 Size: 1953314816

When using PhotoRec:
First screen shows:
the 931GiB drive [proceed] or [quit]
Second screen shows:
P Unkown
start:0 0 1 121601 end: 80 63 Size: 1953525168
[search] [options] [file opt] [quit]
Third Screen (assuming search) shows:
Choose filesystem type:
[ext2/ext3]ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem
[Other] Fat/ntfs/hfs+/reiserfs/
Fourth Screen (assuming Other) shows:
Directory r:/
drwxrwxrwx 42 42 4846 9-Dec-2014 09:16 (lots of these files) but i think they are all just the files on the disk itsself because one of them says photorec.exe and things like undeleted.com , recover.exe etc. and the dates are all today.

And that is where I'm stuck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2014   #37
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

It will take sometime for me to compose my post. So please wait. I am at it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2014   #38
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

OK, to recover the data from your system drive you have to connect an external drive with adequate space before you run PhotoRec.( To make it easy to follow later, please create a folder named Recovery in the external drive on another PC and connect it to your PC #1 you want to recover data from.)

Now boot into DOS and Run Photorec.

First window will show you two drives 1. Your internal drive and 2 your external drive. Select your internal drive > [Proceed]
Second Window:Select [Intel] Intel/PC partition and press ENTER key

The next (third) Window may or may not show your System Reserved partition - I don't know . In any case it is irrelevant since we do not want to recover anything from it.

What I see from your post is: There is P Unkown start:0 0 1 121601 end: 80 63 Size: 1953525168
(It is unknown because the Filesystem is not seen. Exactly the reason why PW could not detect the start of that partition.And exactly why we are using PhotoRec. Even without a file system, PhotoRec can reconstruct the files from the file type signatures and attributes. You can read about PhotoRec in the website)
You will select it and and then with the right Arrow key move the cursor and highlight [File Opt] and press ENTER key. Do not SEARCH. That is the mistake you did. (Please see 4. Third Window in my guide)

In the ensuing Fourth Window by default all file types are selected. If you know what file types you want to recover you can deselect the unwanted file types and retain only the file types you want to recover. That will speed up the recovery process..

Now follow the rest of the steps in that guide.

In 11. Tenth Window you have to select the destination which is your Recovery Folder you created on the external drive.

Go to my post My external hard drive suddenly became unllocated: and follow the process from Screenshot 7 onwards. ( Screenshot 1 to 6 are relevant only for Test Disk)

Once you have reached and selected the destination Press C

If another screen comes Press C

The whole process is interactive where you have to read the screen and take appropriate action.

It will be much easier to guide if I see the screenshots of each screen as you proceed but in your case that is not possible since it is running on DOS.

Does not matter. Take your own time to read , reread and understand the whole process . PhotoRec is very safe since it does not write anything to the drive being recovered. Even if you make mistakes you can go back and redo it.

I am only hoping that data recovery succeeds.

I am now retiring and will be back only after another 8 hours from now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2014   #39
6arrett

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
OK, to recover the data from your system drive you have to connect an external drive with adequate space before you run PhotoRec.( To make it easy to follow later, please create a folder named Recovery in the external drive on another PC and connect it to your PC #1 you want to recover data from.)

Now boot into DOS and Run Photorec.

First window will show you two drives 1. Your internal drive and 2 your external drive. Select your internal drive > [Proceed]
Second Window:Select [Intel] Intel/PC partition and press ENTER key

The next (third) Window may or may not show your System Reserved partition - I don't know . In any case it is irrelevant since we do not want to recover anything from it.

What I see from your post is: There is P Unkown start:0 0 1 121601 end: 80 63 Size: 1953525168
(It is unknown because the Filesystem is not seen. Exactly the reason why PW could not detect the start of that partition.And exactly why we are using PhotoRec. Even without a file system, PhotoRec can reconstruct the files from the file type signatures and attributes. You can read about PhotoRec in the website)
You will select it and and then with the right Arrow key move the cursor and highlight [File Opt] and press ENTER key. Do not SEARCH. That is the mistake you did. (Please see 4. Third Window in my guide)

In the ensuing Fourth Window by default all file types are selected. If you know what file types you want to recover you can deselect the unwanted file types and retain only the file types you want to recover. That will speed up the recovery process..

Now follow the rest of the steps in that guide.

In 11. Tenth Window you have to select the destination which is your Recovery Folder you created on the external drive.

Go to my post My external hard drive suddenly became unllocated: and follow the process from Screenshot 7 onwards. ( Screenshot 1 to 6 are relevant only for Test Disk)

Once you have reached and selected the destination Press C

If another screen comes Press C

The whole process is interactive where you have to read the screen and take appropriate action.

It will be much easier to guide if I see the screenshots of each screen as you proceed but in your case that is not possible since it is running on DOS.

Does not matter. Take your own time to read , reread and understand the whole process . PhotoRec is very safe since it does not write anything to the drive being recovered. Even if you make mistakes you can go back and redo it.

I am only hoping that data recovery succeeds.

I am now retiring and will be back only after another 8 hours from now.

Ok, i was able to follow until it comes to selecting the place to save the recovered files,
I went to screen shot 7. When i press the left Arrow key, the farthest I can go is to "Directory /" :
in which I see:
Directory /
drwxrwxrwx 42 42 4800 8-Dec-2014 12:54 .
drwxrwxrwx 42 42 4800 8-Dec-2014 12:54 . .
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 a:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 b:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 c:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 d:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 e:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 f:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 g:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 h:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 i:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 j:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 k:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 l:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 m:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 n:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 o:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 p:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 q:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 r:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 s:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 t:/
drwxrwxrwx 42 42 3520 8-Dec-2014 12:54 temp

drwxrwxrwx 42 42 192 8-Dec-2014 12:54 tools
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 u:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 v:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 w:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 x:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 y:/
drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 z:/

-rwxrwxrwx 42 42 4028 8-Dec-2014 12:54 1394cd.sys
and then it goes on with -rwx files and ends with
-rwxrwxrwx 42 42 1831 8-Dec-2014 12:54 zap.com

I'm using PhotoRec 6.14-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, September 2012, from Hirens Boot CD

I've gone through all of the A-Z:/ (i highlighted each one and then hit enter and they all looked the same) and i just cant find my External HD or Recovery Folder, I Have an 8 GB USB and it did show up on the first screen.

Ill check back later tonight I'm heading out to school to get homework done and study a bit for finals this week.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2014   #40
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

I see you are there.

You are using Hiren's boot CD.

Unfortunately I am not conversant with it. I do not understand why it is showing some 26 drives.

( May be you have to come down to my level of creating a bootable DOS pendrive, from which you can run PhotoRec. Then we will be speaking the same language )

Anyway, I presume you have created a Recovery folder in an external drive/pendrive.

What is its capacity?

Now shut down your PC #1, plug in that external drive/pendrive, switch on the PC, boot into PhotoRec from your Hiren's CD and let me know what are all the drives seen by PhotoRec in the first Window - complete details.

Today I shall have to run around a lot on Personal work and so my presence here will be sporadic.

I shall still be peeping in once in a while.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to Boot from Hard Drive I/O Error and Error 0xc000000f




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Messed up BCD, Error 0xc000000f. Unable to '/rebuildBCD'
I have an asus n56vz laptop that is a couple years old. I replaced the HDD with a SSD when I bought it and put a clean win7 install on it. Today, I decided to swap the blu-ray drive with a HDD caddy and put the original HDD back in. I think my mistake started because I never wiped the original...
Installation & Setup
Boot error, status 0xc000000f
Guys, Today my OS got freezed at the loading screen and it doesn't boot anymore. After that I restarted my PC and chose the safe mode but it got stuck on the drivers selection part. Now I got this: "Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt"
General Discussion
Boot Manager Error 0xc000000f
Hello, I am using HP laptop. I was using windows 7 operating system. But for some kind of problems i thought to run a set up in my laptop. As i heard from some people that Windows 8 is better than windows 7, so tried to install windows 8. During installation i did format to my...
Installation & Setup
Unable to boot, error 0xc000000f, hard drive failure?
Hello everyone. I am going to number my info because my desktop progressively got worse today. I have a Windows 7 partition and a Windows 8 partition on the HD. 1. At first boot, it was trying to auto repair, but it would get stuck and nothing would happen. 2. After several restarts, it...
General Discussion
Unable to start, error 0xc000000f
So i have get this error 0xc000000f, which is very common. It's asking me to insert windows 7 cd and do start up repair. But when i insert 7 cd it won't boot. Hence i can't repair. When i insert xp cd into drive, it get boot. But after initial loading it says some files are corrupted. Now i want...
BSOD Help and Support
I have the 0xc000000f boot error
I have the 0xc000000f boot error. My 7 disk is in the drive, however, I cannot change my bios to boot frrom the disk first, as my wireless usb keyboard is not being recognized. However, as soon as I hit in button on the keyboard, the computer freezes. I haven't got another keyboard (and this one...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App