Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need Help Re: Windows Explorer Search Pop-Up

04 Nov 2009   #1
siouxdax

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
Need Help Re: Windows Explorer Search Pop-Up

Hello all:
I need some help with some odd behavior in Windows Explorer. When I double-click on folders in the navigation pane (left pane) it behaves as expected, the clicked folder appears on the right-hand pane. But if I double-click on a folder in the right-hand pane, a new window pops up with the words "search results" in the address bar at the top. It does not show the folder contents in the original window (Windows Explorer). I am forced to use the left-hand pane to navigate.

One thing that may be related to this issue: in addition to Windows Explorer, I use Xplorer2. I think this has something to do with my problem. On the toolbar in Windows Explorer there is a menu labeled "search" with the Xplorer2 icon. Upon clicking it, the same "search results" window pops up.

So, is there anyone out there that can help me with this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2009   #2
garysgold

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

If this is being caused by Xplorer, and it sounds like it is, then if there is no option in xplorer to make it stop, you may have to live with it. Have you checked on their support site?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #3
siouxdax

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

No, I haven't checked their support site. Unfortunately, their site lacks good info, but I think if I emailed them they might be able to help out. I vaguely recall having to contact them in the past for some random issue. I'll try that, but I still have hope that someone here may be able to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Nov 2009   #4
BeechV35Pilot

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by siouxdax View Post
So, is there anyone out there that can help me with this?
I am an Xplorer2 user and I suspect you may have left the option to replace the Windows Explorer with Xplorer2 interface at Xplorer2 install. It seems to me that you are indeed seeing the Xplorer2 window.

I mistakenly did this back when I installed Xplorer2 on my Win7 release candidate environment. I didn't spend a lot of time searching for the way to undo this option since I knew I would be reinstalling at Win7 retail install, but I am confident there is a way.

If no one else chimes in I will search for this way to see if it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #5
BeechV35Pilot

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Okay, found something in the default programs window. Try this:

1) Start Orb > Default Programs (on the right under the Devices and Printers menu choice), then click the "Set your default programs" link at the top.

2) Click the "Windows Search Explorer" on the left, and then see if Xplorer has this association listed in the middle of that window. If so, see if changing it back to Windows Explorer by choosing the option at the bottom of the window fixes this behavior.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #6
siouxdax

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot View Post
Okay, found something in the default programs window. Try this:

1) Start Orb > Default Programs (on the right under the Devices and Printers menu choice), then click the "Set your default programs" link at the top.

2) Click the "Windows Search Explorer" on the left, and then see if Xplorer has this association listed in the middle of that window. If so, see if changing it back to Windows Explorer by choosing the option at the bottom of the window fixes this behavior.
I followed your instructions, and unfortunately it was fruitless; it showed that Windows Explorer was already the default. There was no mention of Xplorer2. Your mention of Xplorer2 replacing Windows Explorer sounds familiar. Is that option only available when installing Xplorer2? Would reinstalling Xplorer2 make any difference? Also, if I understood you correctly, the search window that pops up is Windows Explorer related, not anything to do with Xplorer2. I'm so happy with W7 that it irritates me to no end that I'm having this issue. LOL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #7
BeechV35Pilot

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

A quick search of Zabkat's forums shows that to undo this setting, you have to make changes to the registry. In fact, the latest version of xplorer2 includes a file called "UndoFolderAssociation.reg," located in the program's installed folder, which can be imported into your registry simply by double-clicking on it. Before doing this, though, I recommend backing up your registry first.

For more information about this change, you can also read the top paragraph in the registry.txt file, also included in the xplorer2 program folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #8
siouxdax

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot View Post
A quick search of Zabkat's forums shows that to undo this setting, you have to make changes to the registry. In fact, the latest version of xplorer2 includes a file called "UndoFolderAssociation.reg," located in the program's installed folder, which can be imported into your registry simply by double-clicking on it. Before doing this, though, I recommend backing up your registry first.

For more information about this change, you can also read the top paragraph in the registry.txt file, also included in the xplorer2 program folder.
I am going to wait until my PC-savvy friend can look over this and do the dirty work for me, as I have little experience in tampering with the registry. So I'm crossing my fingers that this will do the trick. I will report back with the results ASAP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #9
BeechV35Pilot

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Daniel, overnight (for the East Coast US) I received a reply from the Zabkat author in reply to my question about how to restore Windows Explorer as the default. This is his advice, which differs from using the registry file he includes, perhaps because it is the lowest risk to the system's health:


Quote:
The easiest way is to uninstall xplorer2 (DON'T remove its registry
settings) then reinstall it leaving the "replace explorer" tickbox cleared.
For more information see:
www.zabkat.com/blog/11Jan09-default-folder-association.htm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #10
siouxdax

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot View Post
Daniel, overnight (for the East Coast US) I received a reply from the Zabkat author in reply to my question about how to restore Windows Explorer as the default. This is his advice, which differs from using the registry file he includes, perhaps because it is the lowest risk to the system's health:


Quote:
The easiest way is to uninstall xplorer2 (DON'T remove its registry
settings) then reinstall it leaving the "replace explorer" tickbox cleared.
For more information see:
www.zabkat.com/blog/11Jan09-default-folder-association.htm
OMG! It worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I was worried that I was going to have to live with this annoying little blighter. I've been going so ga-ga over my new Win7 install that something small like this would tarnish my new-found love of my desktop. I can't thank you enough. You totally went above and beyond. I can't remember the last time someone did all of the "dirty work" for me, or anyone else for that matter. Once again, thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need Help Re: Windows Explorer Search Pop-Up




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
windows explorer search
What am I doing wrong? I am using windows explorer to search for *.cpl and get no results.. I am trying to delete from my control panel FYI below are my search options.
General Discussion
Search in windows explorer
Search in windows explorer does not work. Whatever I fill in in the box top right in the window, no search action takes place. What to do?
General Discussion
Windows Explorer folder search bar
Hello , In windows 7, explorer , I wish to know if there is a build in hot key for adding and removing the "folder search bar" in the layout CONFIGURE option. if not I need to make a hot key , please help Thank you a million Ralph
General Discussion
How to Add a Search Filter to Windows Explorer
When I'm browsing local/network drives in Win7, the Search box (upper right in any Explorer window) only offers two filters "Date Modified" and "Size". The "Add a Search Filter" is grayed out. Frustrating!! ------------------- Here's some info on search filters that are available to be...
General Discussion
Windows Explorer Search Bar Flakey
On very many occasions I search for things in the search bar which I know are there are they do not appear. Eg1: *.exe Some items in sub folders which match the pattern *.exe do not appear. Eg1: sometext Some items in sub folders which contain the text do not appear, often these are files...
General Discussion
Windows Explorer search issues
Hi, I tried win 7 x64 ultimate and found compatibility issues with two legacy programs that I need to continue using so I moved to the 32 bit ultimate and they indeed worked in the compatibility mode. I have found an issue migrating my email program (Pegasus) from my XP desktop to the laptop...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App