Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it possible to connect a particular screen saver to a power plan?

25 Dec 2014   #1
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Is it possible to connect a particular screen saver to a power plan?

Probably not but it would be cool and convenient.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Dec 2014   #2
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

AFAIK, no. Screensavers are "connected" to your desktop theme - if you save a theme different from your current, and assign another screensaver to it, it should change when you which between themes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2014   #3
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Scrren Saver - change power plan

Well I don't actually use screen savers so I cannot test this theory but:

ProcessLasso has an option to change power plans if a certain process is running so if you've got different screen-savers with different .scr running process names then it's possible.

Configure power plan to switch to high performance when bubbles screen-saver is active:

Is it possible to connect a particular screen saver to a power plan?-process-lasso.jpg

The problem with this approach is that you might not want or need ProcessLasso's other process taming features but it does seem to indicate that what you're asking for is possible.

Also see: Change Power Plan when application starts


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Dec 2014   #4
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Along with what Callender mentioned about ProcessLasso, another avenue could be you copying the .scr saver information into the theme.

Now, whether or not you can just copy the .scr into the theme or if this involves a set of related .dlls to make the .scr work as it should would require some experimentation on your part.

Related Link;
OLE for Process Control
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2014   #5
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Along with what Callender mentioned about ProcessLasso, another avenue could be you copying the .scr saver information into the theme.

Now, whether or not you can just copy the .scr into the theme or if this involves a set of related .dlls to make the .scr work as it should would require some experimentation on your part.

Related Link;
OLE for Process Control
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gornot View Post
AFAIK, no. Screensavers are "connected" to your desktop theme - if you save a theme different from your current, and assign another screensaver to it, it should change when you which between themes.
Brilliant! Just change the theme. Do you know how I could make a shortcut to the theme and drag it onto the taskbar?

The other options are beyond my computer skills by thanks for your replies!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2014   #6
Pyprohly

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, OS X El Capitan
 
 

Hi,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Do you know how I could make a shortcut to the theme and drag it onto the taskbar?
Custom user themes reside in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. So Context-Menu -> New -> Shortcut and create a shorcut how you would normally, but append the word 'explorer' in front of the path to the selected theme file.

Example shortcut:
Code:
explorer "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Custom.theme"
Lastly, stick it to the taskbar. (Or change the icon and/or filename first.)


A thing to note, though, is that the Personalization window must be open for the theme to change. Windows will open the Personalization window if it isn't already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2014   #7
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Once you actually save the theme, it's not too difficult to change it via right click -> Personalize -> choosing your theme, instead of making a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop/taskbar.

So here's an idea: if you're constantly switching between screensavers but don't want to change the rest of the theme, just use the screensaver name as the theme name, and manage them in Personalization.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #8
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyprohly View Post
Hi,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Do you know how I could make a shortcut to the theme and drag it onto the taskbar?
Custom user themes reside in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. So Context-Menu -> New -> Shortcut and create a shorcut how you would normally, but append the word 'explorer' in front of the path to the selected theme file.

Example shortcut:
Code:
explorer "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Custom.theme"
Lastly, stick it to the taskbar. (Or change the icon and/or filename first.)


A thing to note, though, is that the Personalization window must be open for the theme to change. Windows will open the Personalization window if it isn't already.
Why would I use that code rather than, say, C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Theme.theme? I tried that and it worked, opening the personalization, choosing and applying the file in one click. Just curious about the use of the percentage symbol. Is it a shortcut eliminating the need to write the full path? Thanks for telling me where they're stored! I didn't know that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #9
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gornot View Post
Once you actually save the theme, it's not too difficult to change it via right click -> Personalize -> choosing your theme, instead of making a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop/taskbar.

So here's an idea: if you're constantly switching between screensavers but don't want to change the rest of the theme, just use the screensaver name as the theme name, and manage them in Personalization.
Actually, it's the screen saver I want to change because I have one attached to one theme and a different one attached to another. I just use the two: one for day, one for night. Having a different background image tells me at a glance which screensaver is going to be employed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2014   #10
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Well I don't actually use screen savers so I cannot test this theory but:

ProcessLasso has an option to change power plans if a certain process is running so if you've got different screen-savers with different .scr running process names then it's possible.

Configure power plan to switch to high performance when bubbles screen-saver is active:

Attachment 344166

The problem with this approach is that you might not want or need ProcessLasso's other process taming features but it does seem to indicate that what you're asking for is possible.

Also see: Change Power Plan when application starts
Thanks very much but it sounds way too complicated and I prefer to work within what the system offers first. And within my limited knowledge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it possible to connect a particular screen saver to a power plan?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
intermittent failure of screen saver and power settings.
intermittent failure of screen saver and power off to activate? Hi. My Win 7 Desktop computer, unlike my laptop and other Win 7 computers, has a power and screen saver setup that, at times, never activates? I have checked background processes and can't understand why at times it kicks in and...
Performance & Maintenance
Missing power state controls in advanced power plan settings
Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I have an Optiplex 745 running Windows 7 Professional. Normally in the advanced setting section of the power plan option I have the option to change the power state, however all of a sudden these options have just totally disappeared. Any help is...
General Discussion
How can I change power plan and run scripts based on power state?
I overclock my CPU by changing its FSB and I have scheduled (Task Scheduler) this script to run every time I logon to Windows. But I would like to schedule it to downclock when I pull the power cord and then overclock as I plug it back in. Is this possible? It would also be nice if Windows changed...
General Discussion
Power Plan - Create Shortcut to Change Power Plan
How to Create a Shortcut to Change Power Plans in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to create or download shortcuts that will allow you to change or switch to the High Performance, Balanced, Power Saver, or a custom power plan instantly without having to go through Power...
Tutorials
HELP: power option doesn't work - screen saver doesn't start!
I have an ASUS notebook running windows 7 64-bit. I am using the QuietOffice power profile, however the screensaver won't kick in no matter what I do, and the display does not turn off even though I set it to be after 5-minutes of inactivity. I don't know if there is something running in the...
General Discussion
Power Options/Power plan settings?
From Windows 98SE/2000/XP SP3 I always set my power settings as always on/never shut down (hard drive always on) with the exception of turn off display after 10 mins. Both my PCs are on for about 16-20 hrs each day and I always shut them down manually every night. Now in Windows 7, I created a...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App