Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What did my mom do to her desktop?

12 Jan 2015   #41
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crashhat View Post
I have a 4gb flash drive, do just download the iso and put it on the flash drive?
That flash drive would be too small anyhow.
4GB should be ok (the x64 ISO is only 3.09 GB), I've seen people have some difficulty, but I believe that's an exception. Possible bad cells on the drive.

8Gb is better, just in case.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jan 2015   #42
crashhat

Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

How is it too small? the iso is less than 3gb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #43
gregrocker

 

It won't work to copy the ISO to the flash stick. It must be written to a 4gb or larger stick using the Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool.

But you need to understand and be following the steps, so ask back until you are clear on each step and we will walk you through it if necessary.

Do you have anyone who is tech savvy you know who you could ask to help you? Foward them this thread so they understand what you're up to. Tell them that you are learning how to do a perfect Win7 install and could use a hand and they will also learn a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jan 2015   #44
crashhat

Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It won't work to copy the ISO to the flash stick. It must be written to a 4gb or larger stick using the Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool.

But you need to understand and be following the steps, so ask back until you are clear on each step and we will walk you through it if necessary.

Do you have anyone who is tech savvy you know who you could ask to help you? Foward them this thread so they understand what you're up to. Tell them that you are learning how to do a perfect Win7 install and could use a hand and they will also learn a lot.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that knows anything about computers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #45
crashhat

Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Well, my mom is now planning on getting a laptop, so getting a hardrive for her desktop was a waste of time. Anyways, since I tried to install the os with the system recovery disks she has, would the hard drive still be brand new since the OS couldnt be installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #46
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Hardrives are always useful. Get an external enclosure. Then you can run it as an external disk - e.g. to store images.

The new laptop probably has a USB3 port. So I would recommend a USB3 enclosure. Here are some examples:

Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #47
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crashhat View Post
Well, my mom is now planning on getting a laptop, so getting a hardrive for her desktop was a waste of time. Anyways, since I tried to install the os with the system recovery disks she has, would the hard drive still be brand new since the OS couldnt be installed?
Technically no, not a new drive. It can be cleaned of any data so it is like-new.

Why do you ask?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #48
gregrocker

 

Why trash a desktop if all it needs is a hard drive (which you already have) and a Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

It will be a better install than the one you get on the new laptop, which will likely be loaded with bloatware that slows down and corrupts Windows. Plus it will probably have Windows 8 which is a flop that is quickly being replaced next year with Windows 10.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #49
crashhat

Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Why trash a desktop if all it needs is a hard drive (which you already have) and a Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

It will be a better install than the one you get on the new laptop, which will likely be loaded with bloatware that slows down and corrupts Windows. Plus it will probably have Windows 8 which is a flop that is quickly being replaced next year with Windows 10.
I told her if shes getting a laptop to just get a chromebook since all she does is browse the internet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #50
crashhat

Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crashhat View Post
Well, my mom is now planning on getting a laptop, so getting a hardrive for her desktop was a waste of time. Anyways, since I tried to install the os with the system recovery disks she has, would the hard drive still be brand new since the OS couldnt be installed?
Technically no, not a new drive. It can be cleaned of any data so it is like-new.

Why do you ask?
I'm asking because I plan on sending the hard drive back since shes gonna get a laptop. When she gets her laptop there won't be any use for the hardrive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What did my mom do to her desktop?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
icon created in xp-mode desktop not appearing in win7 desktop
first of all, thanks for all those who have aided me in getting to my virtual pc xp mode now please, a couple of NEW queries: query 1 I have installed a 16 bit DOS based application in the C: of the virtual XP Mode (it is a DOS based application, so there is no installing...
Virtualization
Desktop icon placement does not survive a desktop refresh or a reboot
Recently my desktop icon placement has not been able to stay put if I do a desktop refresh or a computer reboot. I have looked at many internet hits on this same topic and no solution suggested has worked. I've tried them all til I'm blue in the face! I have done the IconCache.db thing where...
General Discussion
Bing Desktop - Set Homepage Image as Desktop Background in Windows 7
How to Set or Unset Bing Homepage Image in Bing Desktop as Desktop Background in Windows 7 Bing Desktop is available for computers that are running XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, as well as Windows Server 2008 and 2012, and is available in English (US), English (UK), French, German,...
Tutorials
Desktop creating two copies of files when moving items to desktop..
I've searched and I get not even one link on this. I have a clean install of Windows 7 plus Firefox and Dell Drivers.. My problem is it creates a ghost like file that really isn't there because if I delete one, the other becomes inaccessible and I have to manually refresh using F5. Also, when I...
General Discussion
Next Desktop Background - Add or Remove from Desktop Context Menu
Add or Remove "Next desktop background" from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Windows 8 A desktop slideshow is a slideshow of wallpaper images (pictures) of your choice on your desktop. When a desktop slideshow is being used in Windows 7 or Windows 8, Windows automatically adds Next...
Tutorials
Desktop icons i drag to desktop work but look ugly
I've looked around, no one else seems to be having this problem. I created shortcut icons for Word and the icons work fine but look like broken shortcuts. Most ppl suggest right click-properties-change icon. I do that and there are NO different options to choose from. Its a blank box. ...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App