Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Everything is crashing? Chrome pages and games. What's up?

09 Jan 2015   #101
gregrocker

 

Was this the first PC you built? Did you check all the connections again, if necessary rebuild it?

You cannot ever expect Win7 to start on different hardware. If it does, or if you correctly adjust it to do so, then you must be connected to the internet to swap out all drivers, with Hardware Auto-Updating enabled. You said neither of these was the case. You could either have bad drivers or the build is defective.

One way to test this is to run with a boot disk like Peppermint3 - Create Live CD/DVD/USB To Use For Emergency Backup - Windows 7 Forums with the hard drive unplugged to eliminate it and Win7 as involved with the results.

But you are badly in need of a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7. I don't know why you would build a new PC and then think that the OS is so unimportant it can be slapped on there from a laptop without adjustment. The OS is crucial and should be installed with the utmost care to assure it will work perfectly. So if you do reinstall don't waste the opportunity to follow the steps in that tutorial closely without missing any this time. Those steps are based on what has worked best in tens of thousands of installs we've directly helped with here since beta, and has been used by a million consumers without a single complaint or return here with problems if they stick with the tools and methods given.

If a boot disk and reinstall persist with the problem then we need to have our hardware experts help you tear down the build and rebuild it making sure nothing is done wrong.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jan 2015   #102
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Very curious; we have been working on this for 4 days and then I see this from the log.

Quote:
License Status: Initial grace period Time remaining: 43020 minute(s) (29 day(s))
From Gregs post # 101
Quote:
But you are badly in need of a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7.
I totally agree. I't time to start at square 1 and stop dancing through the rose bushes.

I see no reason with the OP's hardware if installed correctly and a proper copy of Windows 7 Activated properly this computer shouldn't work correctly.

Keeping the laptop out of the picture their shouldn't be any driver problems if one follows Greg's tutorial and guidance.

It's time to stop the tail from wagging the dog.

Notes:
2 known good sticks of ram in the proper slots according to the motherboard manual is a must.

Specs show 2 SSD's and Speccy shows 1.
We need to know exactly what hardware is installed when doing the Clean Install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #103
NanoDice

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Very curious; we have been working on this for 4 days and then I see this from the log.

Quote:
License Status: Initial grace period Time remaining: 43020 minute(s) (29 day(s))
From Gregs post # 101
Quote:
But you are badly in need of a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7.
I totally agree. I't time to start at square 1 and stop dancing through the rose bushes.

I see no reason with the OP's hardware if installed correctly and a proper copy of Windows 7 Activated properly this computer shouldn't work correctly.

Keeping the laptop out of the picture their shouldn't be any driver problems if one follows Greg's tutorial and guidance.

It's time to stop the tail from wagging the dog.

Notes:
2 known good sticks of ram in the proper slots according to the motherboard manual is a must.

Specs show 2 SSD's and Speccy shows 1.
We need to know exactly what hardware is installed when doing the Clean Install.
I've decided that I'd like to try tearing down the computer and rebuilding it again. I will probably try doing this on Saturday, so if anyone would be willing to help me hardware-wise, that'd be perfect.

To answer Greg's question, this was not the first computer I built. I also helped build my roommates computer and we had also used a laptop to install Windows. He hasn't ran into any trouble since. But since I had just gotten myself an actual disk drive, I will look to reinstall windows following the tutorial. Also, the 29 days grace period is probably due to me trying the windows 7 fix according to the troubleshooting tutorial. I created a USB to do that. I can assure you I have a genuine copy of windows from my university.

Speccy showed one ssd because I took out the other one for a clean reinstall of windows 8 (also on a laptop and also crashing) when taking that screenshot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2015   #104
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

You state this in post #103.

Quote:
I can assure you I have a genuine copy of windows from my university.
The problem seem to be that the copy of Windows is a oem/slp and is tied to the computer it came with. Not transferable to another computer. I'm thinking that a university is not buying Retail Windows 7.

What is your location in the world?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #105
mike009

w7 ultimate 64-bit sp1
 
 

If you still have problems after troubleshooting, please check which batch is your CPU (can be found on the box if you still have one next to "FPO/batch#") or google "Intel Core i7 4790k 1150 overheating" L3 have had to be returned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #106
NanoDice

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
You state this in post #103.

Quote:
I can assure you I have a genuine copy of windows from my university.
The problem seem to be that the copy of Windows is a oem/slp and is tied to the computer it came with. Not transferable to another computer. I'm thinking that a university is not buying Retail Windows 7.

What is your location in the world?
My university provided free physical copies of Windows 7 x32 and 64. They come in a disc and also with a serial number. I've been using this copy ever since I built my computer back in September without issue.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mike009 View Post
If you still have problems after troubleshooting, please check which batch is your CPU (can be found on the box if you still have one next to "FPO/batch#") or google "Intel Core i7 4790k 1150 overheating" L3 have had to be returned.

What troubleshooting are you referring to? The Windows troubleshooting tutorial on this website? Everything I've tried has failed thus far, but I'll make a fresh install of Windows 8 when I get home and if that fails too, I think it's most certainly a hardware issue. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it when I get home.

Possible update: I tried extracting my 970 GTX driver yesterday without installing it as someone above suggested using Winrar and my whole computer experienced a huge lag, nothing I've ever experienced before. I used to be able to extract large compressed files the same way without the computer even breaking a sweat.

Update: If I hadn't already mentioned this, I have completed Step 19 of Repair Install found in Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 using a USB drive. Installed all updates, also done this Device Installation Settings to receive other updates and updated. Applications are still crashing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #107
gregrocker

 

Did you reactivate when you moved the OS? It should be a retail key if its Student but this shows OEM.

Check on System page that it is Activated. If not reactivate with your Student key.

Are you going to try running with a boot disk before rebuilding? This would eliminate HD and OS if you unplug them.

I've asked for hardware attention here but the thread is so convoluted if you go to rebuild I would start a new thread in General titled Rebuilding problem home build.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #108
NanoDice

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Did you reactivate when you moved the OS? It should be a retail key if its Student but this shows OEM.

Check on System page that it is Activated. If not reactivate with your Student key.

Are you going to try running with a boot disk before rebuilding? This would eliminate HD and OS if you unplug them. It is hard to let go of the OS being at fault if only the browser crashes since we need to ask how that is hardware related? Perhaps network connection? Can you flip Ethernet to a wireless adapter?

I've asked for hardware attention here but the thread is so convoluted if you go to rebuild I would start a new thread in General titled Rebuilding problem home build.
Not only the browser, my games crashes too. Smaller, less demanding software does not crash, however. I have to type all my messages in a Rich Text Document before copy pasting it here. Winrar does not crash, Installers crash. Downloads through a download manager does not crash, but downloading through Steam crashes.

I'll check my key again when I get home. But what do you mean by running with a boot disk? I have a Wireless USB adapter, which is what I'm currently using. I also tried using an eternet cable. It didn't do anything to prevent crashes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #109
gregrocker

 

My apologies as I misspoke about browsers. Am helping on several similar cases now.

The boot disk is in the link I posted for Peppermint which once again explains everything if you only click on it. Why do I need to repeatedly remind you of this? Such carelessness in skipping steps and not learning from repeat mistakes we correct causes me to wonder what was done to the build.

Do you have a tech savvy friend who can help you with this rebuild? What guide did you follow for your first build? Did you skip steps there too? Experience says yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #110
NanoDice

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
My apologies as I misspoke about browsers. Am helping on several similar cases now.

The boot disk is in the link I posted for Peppermint which once again explains everything if you only click on it. Why do I need to repeatedly remind you of this? Such carelessness in skipping steps and not learning from repeat mistakes we correct causes me to wonder what was done to the build.

Do you have a tech savvy friend who can help you with this rebuild? What guide did you follow for your first build? Did you skip steps there too? Experience says yes.
I can assure you I'm not making any efforts in skipping over steps. It's hard to navigate the forum when my browser repeatedly crashes and when the page is completely defaced.. But I did see the Peppermint mention, I don't think it's necessary since I'll be installing the fresh install of Windows 8 onto a blank SSD.

No, I don't have a tech savvy friend who could help me. I read the manuals and used Youtube videos.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Everything is crashing? Chrome pages and games. What's up?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Black Bar on Chrome Pages Using Flash
Hey, I get a black bar on the right side of the page whenever Chrome displays a page that uses Flash. However, all the buttons are at the proper positions, making navigation difficult. Basically, I have the problem from here. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks
Browsers & Mail
IE9/Chrome loading pages very slowly.
I am using IE9/Chrome which is loading pages extremely slowly 40-60seconds. Often giving error that page not found. However strangely Youtube videos play fine and downloads (like from download.com) are done properly. Also, msn messenger not signing in properly usually in 6th or 7th attempt it logs...
Browsers & Mail
Chrome and IE loading pages very slowly
Hello, I have Sony Vaio Model name VPC119GX (Windows 7 Professional-SP 1, 64-bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU, 8.00 GB). My browsers (IE and Chrome) have become very, very slow; sometimes, nothing happens. Tests using speakeasy stall about half way through the down load part; I do not get to the...
Browsers & Mail
IE8,Chrome,and Firefox won't open web pages
Hello, I think my machine is in a bit of a trouble and I ran out of ideas how to fix it so I thought someone here might help me out. I am running Windows 7 pro. So I got a trojan malware thing from a website last night, i don't know how because Avast is running all the time. I booted in...
Browsers & Mail
Chrome blank web pages intermittently
Hi, I use Chrome and every now and then I get a blank page. The url is still visible and most of the time if I keep refreshing it still stays blank. I need to exit the browser and get back into it. How do I fix this?
Browsers & Mail
Chrome not loading web pages
Since Google was kind enough to automatically update chrome to 5.0.375.29 it wont load any pages at all. Any incites as to the cause?
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App