Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hard Drive contains old data after Windows 7 Re-Installation

09 Jan 2015   #1
Rex Prime

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Hard Drive contains old data after Windows 7 Re-Installation

I just re-installed Windows 7, and it seems like I forgot to re-format the hard disk when re-installing. There seems to be 200GB of space taken up, but I have know idea where to find it and delete it. Any ideas how to find this old data from the previous installation and remove it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jan 2015   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
I just re-installed Windows 7, and it seems like I forgot to re-format the hard disk when re-installing. There seems to be 200GB of space taken up, but I have know idea where to find it and delete it. Any ideas how to find this old data from the previous installation and remove it?
If you are trying to do a clean install, you don't have to re-format. Just delete all partitions when you come to the partitioning screen after booting from the install disc. That will leave unallocated space. Tell Windows to install to that unallocated space. It will format as necessary.

As for your 200 GB: you say it's "taken up". Then you say you want to "find it and delete it". Then you say it's "old data".

So I'm not clear what you mean, where you sit, or what you want to do.

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #3
Rex Prime

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Was editing to include more details but then my internet stopped as I submitted it.

Here, let me tell the story in more detail. I installed a Windows 7, I let Steam allocate a lot of space for games to install. However, Direct X error happens, can only be fixed by getting whole new Windows. I do that. However, I blindly click on the Nexts, and install. When I open the new Windows, it seems like the amount space taken up is the same. Which means that old data is still there. I want to know how to remove that old allocated disk space from the previous windows installation.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2015   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Your C drive has a capacity of 931 GB.

There is 641 free, meaning 290 have been used.

Windows takes up maybe 20 GB.

So, yes, something else is on the drive other than Windows.

Offhand, it looks like you did not in fact do a clean install, unless you have deliberately installed something else after you installed Windows.

I assume you wanted to do a clean install. Did you in fact boot from the install disc and delete all partitions? Or what?

If you want a clean install, I'd start over. It only takes a half hour.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #5
Rex Prime

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Yeah. that's the problem. I forgot to delete all partitions. All I know is that there is data from the old Windows that is taking up 200gb of space, I want to get rid of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
Yeah. that's the problem. I forgot to delete all partitions. All I know is that there is data from the old Windows that is taking up 200gb of space, I want to get rid of that.
Any reason you can't do it over and delete all partitions?

You may have a Windows.old folder, which means you didn't do a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #7
Rex Prime

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
Yeah. that's the problem. I forgot to delete all partitions. All I know is that there is data from the old Windows that is taking up 200gb of space, I want to get rid of that.
Any reason you can't do it over and delete all partitions?

You may have a Windows.old folder, which means you didn't do a clean install.
Yes! There is a Windows.old folder!

So, how should I go on from now? To delete all the old filled and allocated disk space? It seems like it has all the files and folders that are filling up the space. Is it safe to just delete it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
Yeah. that's the problem. I forgot to delete all partitions. All I know is that there is data from the old Windows that is taking up 200gb of space, I want to get rid of that.
Any reason you can't do it over and delete all partitions?

You may have a Windows.old folder, which means you didn't do a clean install.
Yes! There is a Windows.old folder!

So, how should I go on from now? To delete all the old filled and allocated disk space? It seems like it has all the files and folders that are filling up the space. Is it safe to just delete it?
It's safe to delete it if you are sure you don't need anything in it.

But it isn't a clean install. You did an upgrade of some type.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2015   #9
Rex Prime

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

Any reason you can't do it over and delete all partitions?

You may have a Windows.old folder, which means you didn't do a clean install.
Yes! There is a Windows.old folder!

So, how should I go on from now? To delete all the old filled and allocated disk space? It seems like it has all the files and folders that are filling up the space. Is it safe to just delete it?
It's safe to delete it if you are sure you don't need anything in it.

But it isn't a clean install. You did an upgrade of some type.
Yeah, must have been very weird. Anyways, Windows.Old had all the old files, and has now been deleted, and my disk space is free again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2015   #10
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rex Prime View Post
Yeah. that's the problem. I forgot to delete all partitions. All I know is that there is data from the old Windows that is taking up 200gb of space, I want to get rid of that.
Any reason you can't do it over and delete all partitions?

You may have a Windows.old folder, which means you didn't do a clean install.
When I did a clean install, I definitely had Windows Old.

Must I Keep Windows.old? | PCWorld

Quote:
When you do a clean install off a retail Windows 7 DVD, the installation protects your files by putting them into that folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hard Drive contains old data after Windows 7 Re-Installation




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do i do a Windows recovery without losing my hard drive data?
Hi all, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E540 with Windows 7 pre installed by reseller instead of the windows 8 pro and since today i can no longer access windows. I boot and it goes to black screen with flashing cursor in top left hand corner. My first thought was to tap F8 and go to advanced start...
General Discussion
Data transfer from Windows 7 hard drive to Windows 8.1 Hard drive
Hi everyone! There's really no short way to explain my issue and though I tried, please bear with me! My old laptop that I've had for about 6 years now finally bit the dust (nothing lasts forever, right?) It was an eMachines E527 series with a 64-bit OS Windows 7 (I believe with Vista) and...
General Discussion
How to recover hidden data on my hard drive in windows 7
Hi, I am using windows7 64bit OS. I am using WINMEND FOLDER HIDDEN v1.4.1 to hide folders on my hard drive. During my usage of the hidden folders my system crashed and upon the restart I could not find two of the folders which I hide using Winmend. I can find the remaining folders which I hide....
General Discussion
Windows 7 installation hard drive / ssd don't show up
Hello, in advance a thank you for your help. I bought a laptop asus K55VM, and switch the optical drive for a SSD. Both drives are format and active since what a want is a clean install. During the instillation both drives don't show up, i tried to load drivers from intel but nothing shows...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 cannot see hard drive during installation
Ok, so here is the story. I have a laptop which has a ATA HDD and I tried to install Windows 7 on it, but when you come to the window for choosing a partition, nothing shows up. I have tried to upload new drivers for the chipset on the motherboard from intel (Intel 865 Chipset) but no luck...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App