Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BIOS keep resetting everytime plug off

17 Jan 2015   #1
leonnkeong

Windows Ultimate x64
 
 
BIOS keep resetting everytime plug off

My BIOS keep resetting after I shut down and plug out. I am suspecting CMOS battery drained out but this PC is only 3 years+. Moreover, my time and date DID NOT RESET back to the default, it still remain as usual. Any idea on this?

I'm using GIGABYTE GA-Z77P-D3.

Thanks in advance guru!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jan 2015   #2
PeaB4YouGo

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Check the CMOS jumper on your MB to see if it's still on the "reset" position.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #3
leonnkeong

Windows Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeaB4YouGo View Post
Check the CMOS jumper on your MB to see if it's still on the "reset" position.
Nope. I never open my chassis recently anyway, nothing changes in there. Any idea?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jan 2015   #4
Total

Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

change the battery for the cmos.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #5
leonnkeong

Windows Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Total View Post
change the battery for the cmos.
But my time and date didn't go away, still CMOS battery problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #6
Total

Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leonnkeong View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Total View Post
change the battery for the cmos.
But my time and date didn't go away, still CMOS battery problem?
check for a update for the bios ? sometimes weird things just happen ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #7
leonnkeong

Windows Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Total View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leonnkeong View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Total View Post
change the battery for the cmos.
But my time and date didn't go away, still CMOS battery problem?
check for a update for the bios ? sometimes weird things just happen ..
Currently the most recent is F7. I'm using F2. But weird thing is, it was okay for the last 3 years, just why suddenly pop up such thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #8
JimN262

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I understand what you are saying about the system clock seeming to rule out the battery. However, you can't be sure which components are more or less tolerant of marginal voltages.

In troubleshooting a thing like this, I would go from "easy" to "hard," that is, first change the battery (cheap, low risk), before moving on to something like flashing the BIOS or looking for a short in the hardware.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard, and the BIOS has a way to set it to a "known safe state." You might want to do that after changing the battery.

Just to be clear though if the current BIOS is F7 (actually I think there's an F8a beta) and yours is F2 that would be on the list of thing to address. Just move it to after the easy stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2015   #9
leonnkeong

Windows Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimN262 View Post
I understand what you are saying about the system clock seeming to rule out the battery. However, you can't be sure which components are more or less tolerant of marginal voltages.

In troubleshooting a thing like this, I would go from "easy" to "hard," that is, first change the battery (cheap, low risk), before moving on to something like flashing the BIOS or looking for a short in the hardware.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard, and the BIOS has a way to set it to a "known safe state." You might want to do that after changing the battery.

Just to be clear though if the current BIOS is F7 (actually I think there's an F8a beta) and yours is F2 that would be on the list of thing to address. Just move it to after the easy stuff.
Right you got the point. Gonna replace CMOS and see how is it. Will update here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2015   #10
leonnkeong

Windows Ultimate x64
 
 

Update : Changed CMOS battery and everything is fixed. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BIOS keep resetting everytime plug off




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wireless adapter needs resetting when I plug in a USB device
Hi. Often, not always, when I plug in a USB device to one of the external USB ports on my desktop, my (already plugged in, and working) USB wireless adapter stops working. I lose my wireless Internet connection, and I have to reset it - either manually by unplugging it and re-inserting it, or via...
Hardware & Devices
Can we not just plug/un-plug USB 3.0 drives like we did with 2.0?
Hello all I could really tell a long story here of all the issues I have been dealing with and could provide if requested, but to make this a bit shorter, can we now not just plug and unplug a USB 3.0 drive like we used to with 2.0? All in all I seem to have really screwed up the...
General Discussion
have to restart PC everytime i plug in a usb device for it to function
Having a really bloody annoying problem where I have to restart my PC every time I plug in something to a USB port, even if I've had the device in use for years. The devices don't get recognised or found by my PC unless I restart. How do I stop this from happening!??!?! it's so annoying!!! :mad:
Hardware & Devices
Stuck at bootscreen after resetting BIOS
Hello fellow geeks, Ive have come across a very peculiar dilemma. One day after a system update, all my USB input devices stopped working leaving me stuck at the Win 7 login screen. After some basic troubleshooting I decided to reset BIOS with system defaults. No help there. So instead i decided...
General Discussion
BSOD everytime i plug in a pen drive
I'm getting a BSOD everytime i plug in a USB into the laptop. This happened the first time yesterday. I tried again with the same pen drive, BSOD again. Tried with another, BSOD again. Although when i connected my phone through a USB cable, everything was fine. I could access the phone. 64 Bit...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Plug & Play OS Bios Setting
Thanks in advance! Since I'm running Windows 7, should I set my bios setting to: Plug & Play O/S yes, or no? Again, thanks!
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App