Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 10: upgrade information

24 Jan 2015   #1
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 
Windows 10: upgrade information

Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to users running licensed versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. This is not the same as a free OS, it is an free upgrade; you have to have Win7 or Win8.1 installed and genuine.

The upgrade path is being worked out now while Windows 10 is still being developed and tested. You won't be able to upgrade until after Windows 10 is Released To Manufacturing (RTM) and is available to the end user.
The offer is very generous, but it is also a time limited offer. Users can upgrade from Win7 or Win8.1 for up to 1 year after the RTM. That is also very generous - not 30 days, not 90 days, a full year!

Anyone who doesn't take advantage of this offer will have to purchase Windows 10. Why not prepare your system for Win10 over the next year and a half?

But wait, you say. I just moved up from XP to Win7 or from Win7 to Win8.1 ... now I have to upgrade again?
No, you don't have to accept the free upgrade.

Some might say: I don't like Win8.1 (insert reason here), is the GUI the same?
The user interface in the January Technical Preview release makes Win10 different from Win8.1. There is still a separation of Desktop and Modern GUIs, but the coordination between the two is much better.
A common misconception is that the Desktop interface takes second fiddle to the Modern interface. The is just wrong, both interfaces can be used as peers. Which interface you choose to use is your choice. It's more a matter of knowing what can be done and how to do it.

Think of it like a car: You bought a new car 3 years ago and are thinking about getting a new one. Your current car runs well and you like the style color, and overall feel of the car. Then you get hit with sticker shock and decide to run the car a few more years.
The free Win10 upgrade offer eliminates any sticker shock - its' FREE.

Or you went ahead and bought a new car but all of the knobs are in different locations - it takes a while for you to turn on the radio instead of the windshield wipers, but not that long.
(I still turn on the rear window wiper instead of the windshield wipers in our car and we've had it for 6 years )

There is a lot going on over at TenForums., why not take a peek or join the forum so you can participate.

If you join TenForums, do so with the intent to make Windows 10 better. Please resist the temptation to carry any love of Windows 7 or negative Windows 8.1 bias with you. They are both excellent Operating Systems.

I for one do not want to make TenForums another place people can vent about Windows 8.1 or state that they'll stay on Windows 7 forever. You can post those things on SevenForums and EightForums, you might already have expressed those opinions. All I ask is that TenForums does not become yet another place for the same thing to be said again.

Please understand that I'm not telling anyone what they can or cannot post
- I'm only expressing my opinion on the value of continued debate of things that have been discussed, debated, and argued elsewhere ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

If you try Win10 and don't like it, that's ok. Politely say that you didn't like the test drive and leave the showroom. Upgrading or not upgrading to Win10, when available, is a personal decision. Stay on the operating system you are comfortable using for as long as it works for you.

But..... if you don't accept the free Win10 upgrade offer while it is offered, you will have to pay for Win10 later if you want to upgrade.

Keep in mind that you can do both, keep your current system and get the free upgrade. It will take a little work to prepare, but it's not that difficult. I'm sure that by the time the RTM Win10 comes around, some member will write a tutorial that will help you through the process.
Basically, you would create an system image (a partition backup) of your machine with the current OS just the way you like it. Then upgrade to Win10 and create another system image with the machine upgraded to Win10. The two images allow you to switch back and forth by restoring the image. If you want to run both the current OS and Win10 - there are plenty of ways to do that and there are tutorials that take you step-by-step through he processes (dual boot, Virtual Machine, Boot-to-VHD...)

If you sort of like Win10, but need help understanding some aspect(s) - post over there. Same folks as here will be more than happy to offer answers, guidance, and help.

Can you upgrade to Win10 today?
No, there is no upgrade yet, there is only a Preview version that you can test. These are early releases of what Win10 might look like - these are not finished product.

It's a work in in progress: things will change, things might not work, things will be fixed, and things will break. Overall, my experience with the Technical Preview since October has been very positive. The January Preview release looks very good, but testing will tell how solid the release is. It's alpha testing, not even beta testing - but it's testing well.

How can you test drive Win10? You'll find the answer on TenForums.
More information:
Windows 10: The Next Chapter
Windows Insider program
Blogging Windows


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jan 2015   #2
Jesse Williams

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
 
 

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are good Operating Systems. But, I would like to upgrade when it comes out. Reason being, is because of the Mail app, and the Windows Store apps. But, hardware requirements do apply. Mine seemed to apply. I looked it up, and supposedly Windows 10 will require the same requirements as Windows 8.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #3
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are good Operating Systems. But, I would like to upgrade when it comes out. Reason being, is because of the Mail app, and the Windows Store apps. But, hardware requirements do apply. Mine seemed to apply. I looked it up, and supposedly Windows 10 will require the same requirements as Windows 8.1.
Not only that, but it's a FREE upgrade
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2015   #4
meebers

Windows 7 Professional X64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Wondering if OEM SW is considered licensed as far as being able to be upgraded. i.e. In my case, an Asus oem w8.1 tablet and a Nokia/Tmobile cell phone running 8.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #5
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are good Operating Systems. But, I would like to upgrade when it comes out. Reason being, is because of the Mail app, and the Windows Store apps. But, hardware requirements do apply. Mine seemed to apply. I looked it up, and supposedly Windows 10 will require the same requirements as Windows 8.1.
If you want to be certain, you can download the upgrade assistant. I have a good but older computer, purchased in 2008. I can install 10, but will not have the secure boot, but its not really needed
Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #6
Jesse Williams

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
 
 

Mine looks like its compatible with Windows 8.1 and I am guessing Windows 10 as well. Can someone check this for me? The requirements for Windows 8.1 should apply to Windows 10, right?

To check, see if this link will open. C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\Windows 8_1 Upgrade Assistant.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #7
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are good Operating Systems. But, I would like to upgrade when it comes out. Reason being, is because of the Mail app, and the Windows Store apps. But, hardware requirements do apply. Mine seemed to apply. I looked it up, and supposedly Windows 10 will require the same requirements as Windows 8.1.
If you want to be certain, you can download the upgrade assistant. I have a good but older computer, purchased in 2008. I can install 10, but will not have the secure boot, but its not really needed
Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

Richc46,
When I ran the upgrade assistance it said secure boot would not be available. I could still do secure boot if I wanted to with windows 10. On my windows 7 system in the bios there is an option to turn on secure boot. I think you also have to change the legacy setting as well but I am not sure on that. You might have an option to turn on the secure boot and turn off the legacy setting for Windows 7 in the bios. You would have to a do a clean install again of Windows 10 preview.


Jesse Williams,
I thought the minimum system requirements was going to based on Windows 7 service pack one, so Microsoft could get more system running windows 10.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #8
Jesse Williams

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are good Operating Systems. But, I would like to upgrade when it comes out. Reason being, is because of the Mail app, and the Windows Store apps. But, hardware requirements do apply. Mine seemed to apply. I looked it up, and supposedly Windows 10 will require the same requirements as Windows 8.1.
If you want to be certain, you can download the upgrade assistant. I have a good but older computer, purchased in 2008. I can install 10, but will not have the secure boot, but its not really needed
Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

Richc46,
When I ran the upgrade assistance it said secure boot would not be available. I could still do secure boot if I wanted to with windows 10. On my windows 7 system in the bios there is an option to turn on secure boot. I think you also have to change the legacy setting as well but I am not sure on that. You might have an option to turn on the secure boot and turn off the legacy setting for Windows 7 in the bios. You would have to a do a clean install again of Windows 10 preview.


Jesse Williams,
I thought the minimum system requirements was going to based on Windows 7 service pack one, so Microsoft could get more system running windows 10.
What do you mean? I am sorry for the lack of understanding.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #9
Jesse Williams

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
 
 

Groze, I think I get what you are saying now. Yes, it requires SP1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2015   #10
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are good Operating Systems. But, I would like to upgrade when it comes out. Reason being, is because of the Mail app, and the Windows Store apps. But, hardware requirements do apply. Mine seemed to apply. I looked it up, and supposedly Windows 10 will require the same requirements as Windows 8.1.
If you want to be certain, you can download the upgrade assistant. I have a good but older computer, purchased in 2008. I can install 10, but will not have the secure boot, but its not really needed
Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

Richc46,
When I ran the upgrade assistance it said secure boot would not be available. I could still do secure boot if I wanted to with windows 10. On my windows 7 system in the bios there is an option to turn on secure boot. I think you also have to change the legacy setting as well but I am not sure on that. You might have an option to turn on the secure boot and turn off the legacy setting for Windows 7 in the bios. You would have to a do a clean install again of Windows 10 preview.


Jesse Williams,
I thought the minimum system requirements was going to based on Windows 7 service pack one, so Microsoft could get more system running windows 10.
No, my computer a 2008 Dell, does not have the feature. Dell did not start including that feature until a few years after my purchse. I do not really need it anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 10: upgrade information




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
License Information for Windows 7
How to See Your Windows 7 Licence Information This is a fool-proof way to check your Windows 7 licence information using the command prompt, especially handy if you're using an evaluation copy of Windows 7Using winver alone doesn't necessarily display the correct expiration date, nor the license...
Tutorials
SIW (System Information for Windows)
I've been using the free version of SIW (build 0526, predates the malware packing), and have been considering buying the Technician's version. I'm concerned with the developer's rep for malware inclusion. Are the paid tech versions malware free? Thanks.
Software
Windows registration information...
i have Student MS account and download a version of Windows7 Pro. and installed it own my Laptop...there is one key provided by MS can i use the same key on my another system(s)?
General Discussion
Editing Windows 7 Basic Information
I was wondering if it was possible to edit the Windows 7 Basic information in Control Panel. I wish to know if there are any tweaks or hacks available to do this, or what file(s) this information is stored in. Thanks
Customization
Information: Using Audition 2 with Windows 7
This works for Audition 2. If you don't have an XML editor, download XML Notepad 2007 (a free Microsoft product). To be able to adjust the recording level there are a number of steps to follow. 1. You MUST get a Windows 7 driver for you sound card. 2. Right-click on the speaker icon in the...
Sound & Audio
Information Regarding Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App