Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do you clean CPU thermal paste off the cpu????


06 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit)
 
 
How do you clean CPU thermal paste off the cpu????

Hi all really need your help this time.....

My cpu temp is getting up to 65 degrees C (not OCed) and I dont know why was going to put new thermal paste on and see if that helps but i don't know how to clean the old stuff off can you please help me....

And what is the best thermal paste to use???

thanks all

Gamer1238

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Nov 2009   #2

Windows 7
 
 

Iv used nail polish remover not sure it it was safe but it worked
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzzTNTzzz View Post
Iv used nail polish remover not sure it it was safe but it worked
hmmm ok i'll wait for more answers thank you for your post
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

the best thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5 can be very expensive tho, nail polish remover works but u need to use ear swabs works like a charm but u can also get thermal paste remover 2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7 Premium Retail
 
 

Leave your cpu alone.... 65 is not bad.

unless you know what you're doing your going to do more damage than good.

BUY REAL PASTE. Don't use a substitute. before you even take your fan off make sure you own a static wrist guard and discharge any static on your body.....

so many things to consider. If you are asking about paste here you probably will screw something up.

65 is not bad.

computer hardware is made to endure high temperatures. who told you that 65 was to hot?

did you get this reading while playing a game? that's very low cpu temp after a hour of gaming.

man get better advice before you go popping off your heatsink and trying to fix cpu heat issues.

you only got two replies and you are about to take off your fan and heat sink?


nooooooo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bytebull View Post
Leave your cpu alone.... 65 is not bad.

unless you know what you're doing your going to do more damage than good.

BUY REAL PASTE. Don't use a substitute. before you even take your fan off make sure you own a static wrist guard and discharge any static on your body.....

so many things to consider. If you are asking about paste here you probably will screw something up.

65 is not bad.

computer hardware is made to endure high temperatures. who told you that 65 was to hot?

did you get this reading while playing a game? that's very low cpu temp after a hour of gaming.

man get better advice before you go popping off your heatsink and trying to fix cpu heat issues.

you only got two replies and you are about to take off your fan and heat sink?


nooooooo
Not 65 dregress Frenhite 65 dregree Celeius (sorry about the spelling)

my friend is a computer techy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #7

7600.20510 x86
 
 

You could "lap" the cpu and heatsink to get better heat transfer.


http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #8

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gamer1238 View Post
Hi all really need your help this time.....

My cpu temp is getting up to 65 degrees C (not OCed) and I dont know why was going to put new thermal paste on and see if that helps but i don't know how to clean the old stuff off can you please help me....

And what is the best thermal paste to use???

thanks all

Gamer1238
the recommended temperature range for your CPU is 5deg to 72.4deg C so it's within tolerance but still a bit high, CPU cooling is a function of the heatsink and fan and your case temperature and airflow, If this was me I would want to be sure I was using an efficient but quiet heatsink and fan then I would use a decent paste like Arctic Silver to make sure it had the best chance of good contact, Isopropyl alcohol is good with cotton buds for cleaning the cpu but make sure your "grounded" to avoid any static

what is the make of your CPU heatsink/fan ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 Professional (64 Bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gamer1238 View Post
Hi all really need your help this time.....

My cpu temp is getting up to 65 degrees C (not OCed) and I dont know why was going to put new thermal paste on and see if that helps but i don't know how to clean the old stuff off can you please help me....

And what is the best thermal paste to use???

thanks all

Gamer1238
the recommended temperature range for your CPU is 5deg to 72.4deg C so it's within tolerance but still a bit high, CPU cooling is a function of the heatsink and fan and your case temperature and airflow, If this was me I would want to be sure I was using an efficient but quiet heatsink and fan then I would use a decent paste like Arctic Silver to make sure it had the best chance of good contact, Isopropyl alcohol is good with cotton buds for cleaning the cpu but make sure your "grounded" to avoid any static

what is the make of your CPU heatsink/fan ?
I'm using a BigTyp 120 Thermaltake CPU Heatsink
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

I'm using etanol to wipe thermal grease out. Don't know if it's the best way but it works fine for me.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzzTNTzzz View Post
the best thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5
No, it's not the best. Arctic Cooling MX-2 or OCZ Freeze Extreme are better, and the best thermointerfaces are those based on liquid metal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do you clean CPU thermal paste off the cpu????




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How do you clean CPU thermal paste off the cpu????
Thread Forum
Applied new thermal paste Performance & Maintenance
Which thermal paste to apply to CPU? Hardware & Devices
Thermal Paste Hardware & Devices
Thermal paste PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Thermal paste + GPU = Wise? Graphic Cards
Thermal Paste Questions Performance & Maintenance
Used way too much thermal paste Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33