Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I recover my hibernation data? :(

18 Feb 2015   #1
Persons Can Wai

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Can I recover my hibernation data? :(

I decided to put my computer into hibernation as I had a lot of stuff open and needed to put it in a new case.

Upon booting it up, it will not load from the hibernation file though. I really don't want to lose anything. Is there ANYTHING I can do to recover that data? What if I backup the hibernation file? Can I do something after to it? I really need some answers.

This is the error I'm getting:

Windows Resume Loader

The last attempt to resume the system from i'ts previous location failed. Attempt to resume again?
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Continue with resume
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu

Great! I have no idea why it would say that. All I did was change the case my computer is in, nothing else. I haven't had any problems recently either. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, not sure what else you need to know but I'll post it if you ask.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Feb 2015   #2
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

When you replace your case you remove the power to your system.
When you remove the power from your system you lost open data.
As far as I know all the data that was not saved in gone forever.

Why would you do such a thing without saving your data and shutting down properly??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2015   #3
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

What did you do when presented with the choices?
At best I would consider a successful restore as very unlikely. If the computer has been normally booted or the hibernation file modified in any way and I would revise the chances to virtually zero.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Feb 2015   #4
Persons Can Wai

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
When you replace your case you remove the power to your system.
When you remove the power from your system you lost open data.
As far as I know all the data that was not saved in gone forever.

Why would you do such a thing without saving your data and shutting down properly??
I thought there was no issue with turning the power off, that's what the hibernation file is for - to restore the session to RAM when it boots.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
What did you do when presented with the choices?
At best I would consider a successful restore as very unlikely. If the computer has been normally booted or the hibernation file modified in any way and I would revise the chances to virtually zero.
I have yet to make a choice, I posted here first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2015   #5
shadow2201

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Persons Can Wai View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
When you replace your case you remove the power to your system.
When you remove the power from your system you lost open data.
As far as I know all the data that was not saved in gone forever.

Why would you do such a thing without saving your data and shutting down properly??
I thought there was no issue with turning the power off, that's what the hibernation file is for - to restore the session to RAM when it boots.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
What did you do when presented with the choices?
At best I would consider a successful restore as very unlikely. If the computer has been normally booted or the hibernation file modified in any way and I would revise the chances to virtually zero.
I have yet to make a choice, I posted here first.
Hibernation = Your computer saves its current state to your hard drive, essentially dumping the contents of its RAM into a file on its hard drive. When you boot up the computer, it will load the previous state from your hard drive into its RAM. This allows you to save your computer’s state, including all your open programs and data, and come back to it later. It takes longer to resume from hibernate than sleep, but hibernate uses much less power than sleep. A computer that’s hibernating uses about the same amount of power as a computer that’s shut down.

Shut down =This is the power-off state most of us are familiar with. When you shut down your computer, all your open programs close and the computer shuts down your operating system. A computer that’s shut down uses almost no power. However, when you want to use your computer again, you’ll have to turn it on and go through the typical boot-up process, waiting for your hardware to initialize and startup programs to load.

Even though Hibernate does store all your data, basically so it can use as little power as necessary, once you shut the computer off, or disconnect power, all that is lost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2015   #6
Midori

Primary OS: Archlinux with Kde-Plasma5 x86-64. Secondary OS: Windows 8.1 x64. UEFI Setup.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Persons Can Wai View Post
This is the error I'm getting:

Windows Resume Loader

The last attempt to resume the system from i'ts previous location failed. Attempt to resume again?
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Continue with resume
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu

Great! I have no idea why it would say that. All I did was change the case my computer is in, nothing else. I haven't had any problems recently either. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, not sure what else you need to know but I'll post it if you ask.
As long as you choose resume, the contents will be loaded to Memory and Windows will resume with all tasks and open programs of last time.
Try to not move the Hibernation file or do anything at all to Windows while it is Hibernated!

The hibernation file contains the exact current state of Windows and changing anything to Windows could affect processes running in the Ram after load if they where reading or writing to a file.

Also, sending it to a different installation will do totally nothing useful for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2015   #7
4wd

W7, W8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shadow2201 View Post
Even though Hibernate does store all your data, basically so it can use as little power as necessary, once you shut the computer off, or disconnect power, all that is lost.
^^ Seems this is a description of sleep, where data is stored to memory only. Hibernate will save stuff (os settings, open windows, open files etc) as a file on hd\ssd, and needs no power to keep it 'alive'. Then (if all is well with os\pc) it will restore everything on next power up. Example, hibernating here then removing laptop power + battery, and upon next boot getting back to 5 open programs and a browser with 10 open tabs.

But as a general rule, never leave any files unsaved before going into sleep or hibernate, in case something goes wrong: sleep > battery\power goes down, hibernate > error in hiber file or some other boot error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2015   #8
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Great! I have no idea why it would say that. All I did was change the case my computer is in, nothing else.

Why would you do such a thing without saving your data and shutting down properly??

You shut down the pc, you loose everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2015   #9
paul1149

Linux Lite 2.8 x64 (full-featured, fast, rock-solid)
 
 

Hibernation is the storage of the RAM in non-volatile memory - that is, the hard drive. You don't lose it by shutting down, which is the whole point.

My guess is that some element of the hardware was changed, that Windows picked up on. If you can't figure out what, then I guess I would try putting the machine back in the old case if the data is that important.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2015   #10
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

So then click on Resume.

Let us know what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I recover my hibernation data? :(




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Recover Data Program
Dear All, Do you know, which is most popular data recover in the world? Regards,
Microsoft Office
want help to recover data
After splitting C: drive into two partitions by disk management tool, i am facing following problems: 1. Start up/boot problem (Windows 7 not started) 2. one old partition is hidden i made many different attempt to solve the issue but failed. in my last attempt, i install new windows 7 at...
Installation & Setup
BSOD after hibernation Kernel Data Inpage Error 0x0000007A
Every time I turn on my Dell Vostro 3550 from hibernation, it gets a blue screen with a kernel data inpage error 0x0000007A. I'm using windows 7, please help!
BSOD Help and Support
recover data from partition
i recently went through a whole ordeal getting win 7 pro. (64bit) installed on my htpc. i had win 7 home premium on there before. now during this whole thing. on about the 7th or 8th clean install i became frustrated and careless. i accidentally formated one of my data partitions. (just the quick...
Installation & Setup
How do I recover data after reformatting
I recently reformatted the harddrive and installed Windows 7. Afterward realized that forgot to save all my emails from Outlook Express. How do I get them back?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App