Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: All folders are read-only

19 Feb 2015   #1
higgins

Windows 7 x64
 
 
All folders are read-only

Hi all!

Problem is as follows: as far as I can discern, all the folders on the PC are read-only. The read-only tickbox under the properties is greyed out under one admin account and appears as a blue square under the other. I can remove the tick/square and hit apply, it will go through the all the files but after the process completes, everything is still read only. Even new folders that I create are read-only, even if I create them on the root folder. Taking ownership of the folders did not help.

The problem I have with this is that a software I use fails to generate content into the designated folder as it does not have the permission to write files. It's got to be the read-only setting that messes the things up.

Any idea what's going on?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Feb 2015   #2
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

What you are seeing is normal. In Windows Explorer the checkbox is used s a convenient way to set or reset the read only attribute of the files contained within the folder. It does not apply to the folder itself. Most likely your problem is due to a permissions issue which is very different. What folder is it? By default even an admin account does not have write access to all folders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2015   #3
higgins

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Ah, hmm... the folder in question is in the Documents folder of the user account that's logged in. And the user has admin rights.

Thanks for letting me know it's normal though. At least I can rule that problem out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Feb 2015   #4
higgins

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
In Windows Explorer the checkbox is used s a convenient way to set or reset the read only attribute of the files contained within the folder. It does not apply to the folder itself.
So, in Windoes 7, I can't remove any folder being read-only, period?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2015   #5
Trax

Win7 but all from NT to Win95 to 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by higgins View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
In Windows Explorer the checkbox is used s a convenient way to set or reset the read only attribute of the files contained within the folder. It does not apply to the folder itself.
So, in Windoes 7, I can't remove any folder being read-only, period?
I see it as senseless to defrag a drive that's read only (it won't move them) so I run in the drives root ATTRIB -h -r /s
The -h unhides the files or the remove read only can't see them. the /s is for recursive directories yes I do this to the windows drive as well a list of files it can't touch will be listed mostly chm files.

This of course is done in a CMD window, in the run box, type in: CMD /K
The /K keeps it open or it will just flash.

There is a problem with Win7 as even being admin a lot of areas are blocked from you. I use TAKE OWNERSHIP it's a registry edit, you can put all your trust in me and just copy and paste it or download it: takeownership

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

You will then have it in your context menu (right mouse key) to take ownership of what directories you wish.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2015   #6
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
So, in Windoes 7, I can't remove any folder being read-only, period?
The checkbox isn't telling you anything about the folder itself. Windows Explorer cannot set or reset the read only attribute or tell you it's current state on folders. It can only do so for files. In any event these attributes are largely obsolete, being maintained primarily for compatibility purposes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2015   #7
m256997683119

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by higgins View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
In Windows Explorer the checkbox is used s a convenient way to set or reset the read only attribute of the files contained within the folder. It does not apply to the folder itself.
So, in Windoes 7, I can't remove any folder being read-only, period?
I see it as senseless to defrag a drive that's read only (it won't move them) so I run in the drives root ATTRIB -h -r /s
The -h unhides the files or the remove read only can't see them. the /s is for recursive directories yes I do this to the windows drive as well a list of files it can't touch will be listed mostly chm files.

This of course is done in a CMD window, in the run box, type in: CMD /K
The /K keeps it open or it will just flash.

There is a problem with Win7 as even being admin a lot of areas are blocked from you. I use TAKE OWNERSHIP it's a registry edit, you can put all your trust in me and just copy and paste it or download it: takeownership

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

You will then have it in your context menu (right mouse key) to take ownership of what directories you wish.
I use this,

Take Ownership Shortcut
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2015   #8
Trax

Win7 but all from NT to Win95 to 7
 
 

[QUOTE=m256997683119;3009773][QUOTE=Trax;3009618]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by higgins View Post
So, in Windoes 7, I can't remove any folder being read-only, period?
.
Quote:

Hey, I'm new here. So don't know what's available, just know it's a great spot for good info.

It was taking ownership of some directories that agent ransack my search program started listing paths that were non existent in the respect they couldn't be accessed and a lot of them, just large blocks of the same paths, took some time 1) to search 2) figure out what was accessible.

Was when I first started using Win7 and what you can't keep me out of here (I like, want to know what is where) so opened up pretty much everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2015   #9
higgins

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Ah, okay. I tried to take ownership, but the read only tick was still there. Just confusing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2015   #10
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Just a thought...
Folders CANNOT be read-only - they may appear so from the Properties popup, but in reality they aren't.
The blob in the popup is present in all folders on all computers - and is there to allow mass-setting of the property on the contained files only.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 All folders are read-only




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cannot uncheck folders' read-only attribute
Hi all. I have troubles with the read-only attribute of folders. I create folders and they are read-only by default. When I uncheck the read-only attribute it appears to obay my command but further inspection aftewards reveals that nothing has really happened. I am the owner, I give to...
General Discussion
Read only attribute for folders in properties
I recently tried to attach some photos to an email I was sending, only to discover that when I went through the browse option there was apparently nothing in the folder (which there was when I checked the folder in question) Having dug around I discovered that every folder appears to have read...
Music, Pictures & Video
How come I can't remove read only from folders?
I noticed that under properties of my user name that read only is checked, I am the admin and the only one on my pc. I've unchecked it twice and it applies changes but when I go back in it is checked again? I've tries restarting thr computer but still no luck?
General Discussion
Default folders read only
:DI reset all my default file folders and found them in read only as I did it. Is that normal? I also found Dr Web instead of Saved Games in the name menu start up. . Ever grateful
General Discussion
Folders stuck being Read-Only
My dad recently bought a new computer with Win 7 on it. We took one of the hard drives from the previous computer and installed it on the new computer. However, now all of the documents and folders on the transferred drive are read-only. We uncheck the read-only box and go through all of the...
Software
Folders Resetting to Read Only
Ok, this has been annoying me for a few days now. I have my music which is usually on D inside a folder on E called D. This folder is set to read only, which is shouldn't be. I am the owner of the folder and have removed and added myself a few times and it's gone through the permissions changer on...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App