Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pagefile constantly going crazy - please help

23 Feb 2015   #11
SaNdMaN82

Windows 7 Profesional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tgfyhre View Post
Except I'm running 32bit and I already have 3Gb installed so I can't add any more RAM.

I've set my pagefile to auto and I'll see how that does. When I reboot my pc later today I'll boot into safe mode and run Prime95 and see what happens. All I know is I used to be able to run Prime95 in blend mode without issue for hours on this pc, and now I can't due to the pagefile.
Isn't the limit for 32 bits arch 4gb and not 3gb?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Feb 2015   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Yes the limit is 4GB. But since other components such as graphics also need address space, you usually end up with only 3.2GB or so useable. So 3GB of RAM is the best option for a 32bit system - and that is plenty anyhow. A 32bit OS runs in less than 2GB - I have one running in 1.5GB and it runs fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2015   #13
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
RAM Test

Maybe some of your RAM has become faulty.

Have you tested your RAM?

Try the method in this link:
Test your RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool - CNET

Also try this SevenForums tutorial:
RAM - Test with Memtest86+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Feb 2015   #14
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

whs is correct: You can run a 32 bit system on very low ram.

The big but is; if you use many things that use ram, therefore using up the ram you have, you either have your system use less ram or add more ram.

If you want to install more ram than 4 gigs you will have to install Windows 7/64.

How much ram you need depends on the demand for ram you put on your system.

Example:
If you have 12 gigs of ram and you put a demand for 16 gig of ram on your system you will still be low on ram for what you are doing with your system.

I have run Windows 7/32 with 2 and 4 gigs of ram and the system run quite well until I put a demand on the system that required more ram. That is why I use Windows 7/64.

I do not believe doing test with Prime95 has anything to do with page filing.
I have no idea why one would watch Prime95 and page filling at the same time.
What is the purpose of doing such a thing.

As lehnerus2000 has posted; this is the best I know of to test ram.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2015   #15
tgfyhre

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
whs is correct: You can run a 32 bit system on very low ram.

The big but is; if you use many things that use ram, therefore using up the ram you have, you either have your system use less ram or add more ram.

If you want to install more ram than 4 gigs you will have to install Windows 7/64.

How much ram you need depends on the demand for ram you put on your system.

Example:
If you have 12 gigs of ram and you put a demand for 16 gig of ram on your system you will still be low on ram for what you are doing with your system.

I have run Windows 7/32 with 2 and 4 gigs of ram and the system run quite well until I put a demand on the system that required more ram. That is why I use Windows 7/64.

I do not believe doing test with Prime95 has anything to do with page filing.
I have no idea why one would watch Prime95 and page filling at the same time.
What is the purpose of doing such a thing.
I explained above why I checked pagefile while running Prime95. As soon as I ran Prime95 (which uses lots of memory during blend mode), my pagefile flips out - every time. I know this because my Resource manager lists pagefile as the primary service chewing up my hard drive whenever I run Prime95 in blend mode.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. I discovered that when I replaced my cpu cooler over the weekend I must have dislodged one of my memory sticks, so I was only running on 2GB instead of 3GB. When I reseated the memory stick so my system shows 3Gb I can run Prime95 in blend mode with no issues and still surf with no slowdown. So Prime95 in blend mode was certainly affecting my pagefile.

Can I put another stick of RAM in for 4GB of memory? I thought since I have a 1GB video card I could only put in 3GB of RAM due to the 32bit restriction. What happens if I put a 4th stick in? Will I have access to all 4GB of memory? Will I lose some of the video card RAM?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2015   #16
tgfyhre

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yes the limit is 4GB. But since other components such as graphics also need address space, you usually end up with only 3.2GB or so useable. So 3GB of RAM is the best option for a 32bit system - and that is plenty anyhow. A 32bit OS runs in less than 2GB - I have one running in 1.5GB and it runs fine.
Oh, that's what I thought. I never bothered putting in a 4th stick of memory because as I understood it I would only gain a small portion of that 4th GB anyways, since I have a 1GB video card installed, so it didn't seem worth it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2015   #17
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Video ram and System ram are two completely two different things.
When you installed your system ram correctly you basically added back the lost ram.

I presume you completed the RAM - Test with Memtest86+ before you changed the cpu cooler.
Because Memtest+ should of indicated how much ram was installed and tested.

*Were you having a cpu temp problem when running Prime95 before the new cooler was installed?
*What temps are the cpu temps after installing the new cooler?

I'm trying to understand the sequence things were done so 2+2 adds up to 4.

To make sure Windows sees your ram correctly please post a picture like this of your system.



Pagefile constantly going crazy - please help-new-memory-picture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2015   #18
tgfyhre

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Video ram and System ram are two completely two different things.
When you installed your system ram correctly you basically added back the lost ram.

I presume you completed the RAM - Test with Memtest86+ before you changed the cpu cooler.
Because Memtest+ should of indicated how much ram was installed and tested.

*Were you having a cpu temp problem when running Prime95 before the new cooler was installed?
*What temps are the cpu temps after installing the new cooler?

I'm trying to understand the sequence things were done so 2+2 adds up to 4.

To make sure Windows sees your ram correctly please post a picture like this of your system.



Attachment 350703
My RAM is fine - I tested it not too long ago with Memtest86+. I'm not having a temp problem. I only changed my cpu cooler because the fan was making a ridiculous racket and it's a PITA to change the fan for that cooler (Coolermaster V8). It's also the second V8 cooler fan to fail on me in 3 1/2 years. So I decided to pull it out and replace it with a new cooler and fresh paste. Currently my idle temps for the cpu is around 48-50, and it's a bit hot in my apartment with the heat on. With full load my cpu temp hovers around 82 - the same as with the Coolermaster V8.

The issue just seems to be that using certain applications triggers heavy pagefile usage, and I was hoping there was a way to keep the pagefile usage down a bit. I guess there isn't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2015   #19
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

From you post # 18

Quote:
With full load my cpu temp hovers around 82 - the same as with the Coolermaster V8.
82C is to high for your cpu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2015   #20
tgfyhre

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
From you post # 18

Quote:
With full load my cpu temp hovers around 82 - the same as with the Coolermaster V8.
82C is to high for your cpu.
It's the same max temp my cpu has always been at for the past 3 1/2 years. And that's with Prime95. Not everyday stuff. 99% of the time my cpu doesn't even approach close to that temp. That's only with a full load. The majority of each day the temp is around 50 idle, 60-65 when running some applications. 82 is with Prime95, which I never run except when changing coolers.

It's a 1st gen Core I7 920. It's a hot-running chip. From what I've read on many forums, 82 is around what many people get for full load temps with that chip and a basic cooler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pagefile constantly going crazy - please help




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Pagefile.sys
I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64bit with 8GB of RAM. Is it necessary to set a specific number for the pagefile.sys? Right now I have it set to "No paging file". Please advise. Thanks all.
Performance & Maintenance
Fan runs crazy, track-pad crazy, browser hangs, slow & unresponsive
Hi All, I hope someone here can help me as I can't go on with this crazy machine any longer... My machine is a 2012 Sony Vaio, I've just updated my system specs. What happens is the following: The fan runs for no apparent reason. It just takes off, loud and blowing out hot air even though the...
General Discussion
Moved Pagefile.sys to second HHD and old pagefile.sys still on primary
Hello all, I have a SSD which runs my windows 7 and other processing heavy programs and a secondary HDD which holds files. I've been reading up on making sure I can get the most life out of my SSD since there are limited read/write cycles on them. Therefore, I looked into moving my...
Performance & Maintenance
pagefile.sys
Hello. I have 2 x WD6400 AAKS. I have the pagefile.sys on my second hdd. With 3 GB DDR3 triple channel is it safe to disable the pagefile.sys ? What's the best settings ? Please give me some advices. Thanks.
Performance & Maintenance
Pagefile
Hello, I have 6gb's of ram, do I need a pagefile? Played a little and turned it off but I noticed that there was some kind of usage in the performance monitor, still. Currently use 3 SSD's in RAID 0, with a 4th for pagefile and temp files. Do I add 4th SSD to the RAID 0 array? Do I go RAID 5,...
Performance & Maintenance
Pagefile help
Hi guys. Today I did something that I am now regretting. I switched my pagefile to a second hard drive. I left 1 GB on the C: drive and set the D: drive to automatic values. I did this to try and solve a memory issue with Fallout 3. However, my computer has now been reduced to a slow...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App