Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Edit windows explorer details pane?

13 Jul 2010   #11
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by exmeaguy View Post
Looks like there is still no answer to adding "Artist" as a detail column. Unbelievable that MS would remove one of the most important data items when selecting music.
Actually, if you've been paying attention, you'll notice that in Windows Explorer, the "Contributing Artists" field is, in fact, the "Artist" field you have been looking for. This I know, because my own "MP3 Media Properties Explorer" that I use to manage the tags in my music collection calls the tag "Lead Artist", and whatever I enter into that field shows up in Windows Explorer as "Contributing Artist".

-mp3_file_tags2.jpg
MP3 Media Properties Explorer

-mp3_file_tags.jpg
Windows Explorer


The name is not important, as long as the various programs out there (including Windows Explorer) show the correct information.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jul 2010   #12
cbleman

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

I was told in another thread to edit the Contributing artist field in stead too. Anybody else ever work with data bases? Wrong field. Contributing Artist field is NOT the Artist field. I need to SEE the field I'm editing. If the OS does update a related field automaticaly (Bad form), I would like a way to verify. Don't mean to throw rocks, but thats a bad answer in my book. Sorry. The name IS important. The Edit pane needs to be customizable.
(X-base Programming 7 yrs)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #13
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
I was told in another thread to edit the Contributing artist field in stead too. Anybody else ever work with data bases? Wrong field. Contributing Artist field is NOT the Artist field. I need to SEE the field I'm editing. If the OS does update a related field automaticaly (Bad form), I would like a way to verify. Don't mean to throw rocks, but thats a bad answer in my book. Sorry. The name IS important. The Edit pane needs to be customizable.
(X-base Programming 7 yrs)
Ok, now we're arguing semantics here. As a Pascal/Delphi programmer of nearly 20 years, I can say this with the following code extracts):

Code:
    { TPE1 } fiLeadArtist, { Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s) }
    { TPE2 } fiBand, { Band/orchestra/accompaniment }
    { TPE3 } fiConductor, { Conductor/performer refinement }
    { TPE4 } fiMixArtist, { Interpreted, remixed, or otherwise modified by }
The above is only a small part of the ID3v2 standard (which defines over 90 "frames" of metadata). The "TPEx" frames is used to represent "human data", and usually contains names of people.

The out-moded "ID3v1" specification, however, defines only 7 items : "ID", "Songname", "Artist", "Album", "Year", "Comments" and "Genre".

Basically, all I'm trying to highlight to you is this: In the V2 metadata standard for MP3 files, the field is "TPE1". So how does the database field name make my previous answer incorrect, when (in the context of this thread), the terms "Artist", "Contributing Artist" or "Lead Artist" are simply used for display purposes only, and the data itself is embedded into an MP3 file using the "TPE1" field?

Would you rather have MS display it as "TPE1" (the actual field name) and yet another target of complaint setup against them?? The name of the field IS important, but the user "Display Name" for that field takes preference. The user does not care what the database field name is.

This is what I tried to highlight to exmeaguy, that some programs display TPE1 as "Artist" and others show it as "Contributing Artist", but the data it holds remains the same.

Cbleman, while I do not agree with your post as a whole, I do agree with you that the "Details Pane" (you incorrectly call it the Edit Pane. See how easy it is to get a name wrong?) must be customizable with more than just changing it's size. I'd like to see a facility where the user can decide which fields are displayed, and in which order. It should also be made more clear that some of the information it displays is editable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2010   #14
cbleman

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Ok, now we're arguing semantics here. As a Pascal/Delphi programmer of nearly 20 years, I can say this with the following code extracts):

Code:
    { TPE1 } fiLeadArtist, { Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s) }
    { TPE2 } fiBand, { Band/orchestra/accompaniment }
    { TPE3 } fiConductor, { Conductor/performer refinement }
    { TPE4 } fiMixArtist, { Interpreted, remixed, or otherwise modified by }
The above is only a small part of the ID3v2 standard (which defines over 90 "frames" of metadata). The "TPEx" frames is used to represent "human data", and usually contains names of people.

The out-moded "ID3v1" specification, however, defines only 7 items : "ID", "Songname", "Artist", "Album", "Year", "Comments" and "Genre".

Basically, all I'm trying to highlight to you is this: In the V2 metadata standard for MP3 files, the field is "TPE1". So how does the database field name make my previous answer incorrect, when (in the context of this thread), the terms "Artist", "Contributing Artist" or "Lead Artist" are simply used for display purposes only, and the data itself is embedded into an MP3 file using the "TPE1" field?

Would you rather have MS display it as "TPE1" (the actual field name) and yet another target of complaint setup against them?? The name of the field IS important, but the user "Display Name" for that field takes preference. The user does not care what the database field name is.

This is what I tried to highlight to exmeaguy, that some programs display TPE1 as "Artist" and others show it as "Contributing Artist", but the data it holds remains the same.

Cbleman, while I do not agree with your post as a whole, I do agree with you that the "Details Pane" (you incorrectly call it the Edit Pane. See how easy it is to get a name wrong?) must be customizable with more than just changing it's size. I'd like to see a facility where the user can decide which fields are displayed, and in which order. It should also be made more clear that some of the information it displays is editable.
You make a good point. Thank you for for the correct name to the Details Pane. Your programming experience trumps mine too.

After working with large data bases for so many years, I'm extremely cognizant of field names, and leary of saving data into the wrong field. Before I looked at your example, I was looking at the lables like fields in a flat data base. I can see your point though. Someone using my program would see a field labeled "First Name" when the actual field name could be called "tfrstnm1". Meaningfull to the Database manager (to Identify which database the field belongs to, and other usefull info.) but to nobody else.

"Artist" has been a main field in every MP3 editing program I have ever used. Since I reside in the U.S, this may be an ethnocentric point of view. I have no Idea what the rest of the world sees this field name as, and the US may well be a minority. I do however question the current name of the label in the pane. If I changed the "First Name" label on an input screen to "Christian Given Name", it would confuse the heck out of the people inputing the data, and cause the Database Manager to question my sanity. Just as I question the sanity of the person who decided to change name of a very widely used label in the US. I will put several MP3s back on the Win 7 machine, Edit the contributing artist field, and pull them back into Media Monkey to see if the "Artist" field updates correctly.

I had a problem with bunch truncated .MP3 files in my library. I blamed Win 7 and pulled my mp3 hard drive off the Win 7 machine. I never tested what you said, I just jumped in with both feet.... in my mouth. Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2010   #15
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
I had a problem with bunch truncated .MP3 files in my library. I blamed Win 7 and pulled my mp3 hard drive off the Win 7 machine. I never tested what you said, I just jumped in with both feet.... in my mouth. Sorry.
That happened a lot with the BETA - untill MS released a patch...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #16
RJKinsman

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Hello,

For shortcut files, (.lnk) I want to see the Comment property in the details pane. It shows up in the balloon when you hover over it, but not in the details pane. I went to...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.lnk]

...and found FileOperationPrompt and FullDetails, but not PreviewDetails. So I added it, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #17
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
The new "Contents" view also

I would also like to gain control over the "Details Pane" and "Contents" view.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2011   #18
RJKinsman

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I would also like to gain control over the "Details Pane" and "Contents" view.
Yeah, it would be OK with me if I could get the comment field in the "Contents" view, but I'd rather have it either in the "Details Pane" or right back where it was before, in the "Status Bar."

Over many years I have been making great use of the comment field of the shortcut properties, making notes like who sent me a particular attachment, or where I downloaded it from, or which zip archive I archived it to. So, for example, if someone sent me an attachment, I would save it, then immediately make a shortcut to it in the same folder, then update the comment field. Or, if I need to archive a file, I would note the name of the archive where I saved the file, then I would delete the file and leave just the shortcut behind. Works really well for me.

At least I can still see it in the bubble, or I can add it to the details (View/Choose Details...), but it was very convenient to have it right there in the "Status Bar" before. The problem for me with the bubble is that it is very mouse-dependent, and I'm much more keyboard-oriented. So I'd rather arrow down to a file with the keyboard, rather than move my hand over, grab the mouse and point to it, just to get the information I need.

I'm thinking of grabbing my old machine and seeing if I can find anything in the registry that may give me a clue as to what shows up in the "Status Bar" from XP Pro. I know the "Details Pane" was not in XP Pro, but maybe it will give me a clue.

Beyond that, I'm open to ideas!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #19
RJKinsman

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Well, I think I found my answer -- Welcome to Classic Shell found in How to configure Windows 7 Explorer

Just installed it, and so far it's great.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #20
Cyborg31

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
Well, I think I found my answer -- Welcome to Classic Shell found in How to configure Windows 7 Explorer

Just installed it, and so far it's great.
Does that actually change the look?

By default, the folder only shows date modified. I'd like it to show date created instead (and maybe other info if possible).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Edit windows explorer details pane?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Details Pane - Turn On or Off
How to Turn the Details Pane On or Off in Windows 7 You can use the details pane in Windows Explorer to see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File properties are information about a file, such as the author, the date you last changed the file, and any descriptive...
Tutorials
Details Pane associating mp4 video files with audio details
How can I re-associate .mp4 files with video details displaying in the Details Pane? After installing the K-lite codecs pack, my mp4's all began displaying in the details pane as audio files (Album, Artist etc) and no longer displays the important video default details (size, frame height, bitrate...
General Discussion
Details Pane - Enable or Disable in Windows 7
How to Enable or Disable the Windows Explorer "Details Pane" in Windows 7 This will show you how to enable or disable the ability to turn on the details pane in Windows Explorer for specific or all users in Vista and Windows 7. You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the...
Tutorials
Change the font style in Explorer details pane
How do I change the font style in the Windows Explorer details pane using Windows Style Builder? I have attached a screenshot, I want to change the font inside the red box. More specifically, the font of the text in black.
Customization
Windows Explorer Details Pane - include size property
Hi guys :) My question today is how do I include size in the Details Pane cause that's the one I need most but it's hidden or something. Thanks :D
Music, Pictures & Video
Can't edit mp3 tags in explorer pane
I can't enter the tags and all I have is the title of the mp3 showing. Something makes me think it has to do with the tag editor I used and maybe not though. I'm using Win7 Home premium. It seems like there is something in the registry blocking modification. I hate to lose all the mp3s that want...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App