Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10

10 Apr 2015   #21
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

I have uninstalled KB3035583. I did not install KB29952664.

But all files and all manifest folders listed are still on my disk.
I will need to change permissions on the entire Winsxs folder to delete these.
Anyone see any problems if I do that?


_
You can find out what any update does by going here:
Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10-wu-1.jpg

_
This is the info on KB3035583:

Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10-wu-2.jpg
_

Here is where you go to see what files it will install:
Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10-wu-3.jpg
_

These are the files:
Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10-wu-4.jpg
_

These are the MAINIFEST folders:
(The list is longer than shown)
Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10-wu-5.jpg
_




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Apr 2015   #22
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
I have uninstalled KB3035583. I did not install KB29952664.

But all files and all manifest folders listed are still on my disk.
I will need to change permissions on the entire Winsxs folder to delete these.
Anyone see any problems if I do that?
I've deleted those other folders on my PC.

I haven't noticed any issues ... yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2015   #23
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

This weekend's chore!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Apr 2015   #24
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Just received today's night (here) from Windows Update the Kb2990214 listed as optional update and i've hide that one too along the two previous already mentioned here.

Strange, thought after reading this update was back in October 2014?
I'm showing that one as well = Hide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2015   #25
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

The files and folders deleted on their own. Took a couple of days.
I did nothing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2015   #26
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
The files and folders deleted on their own. Took a couple of days.
I did nothing.
Mine still sitting there, but no others files found in other folder places. Let's Hope another update not to trigger those files, if i do let them...


Attached Thumbnails
Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2015   #27
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

But the descriptions of the updates are terrible, how are we to know what each update does with descriptions like that ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2015   #28
OvenMaster

Win7 Pro 32bit; Zorin OS 9 Core (in VM)
 
 

I get the distinct impression that we aren't supposed to know... if M$ wanted us to know, they'd have explained everything clearly. They have not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2015   #29
Berkey

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
But the descriptions of the updates are terrible, how are we to know what each update does with descriptions like that ?
That's what get's me, I'd be fine with the option to do so and if it was intentionally left unclicked (for those who automatically update) but it seems they did not want to give those who set and forget ( a large majority of users) which seems a bit shady to me. Even I would have missed this had I not been home for the past few days and then read the forums first, as the description is so vague, I probably would have chalked it up to some minor coding issue and been done with it.

Has MS officially addressed this yet or at least explained (of course from a PR stand point) what they are doing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2015   #30
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berkey View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
But the descriptions of the updates are terrible, how are we to know what each update does with descriptions like that ?
That's what get's me, I'd be fine with the option to do so and if it was intentionally left unclicked (for those who automatically update) but it seems they did not want to give those who set and forget ( a large majority of users) which seems a bit shady to me. Even I would have missed this had I not been home for the past few days and then read the forums first, as the description is so vague, I probably would have chalked it up to some minor coding issue and been done with it...
A bit shady? Heck, it's so shady, no daylight is getting through!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10
From The Inquirer: "MICROSOFT is wasting no time in preparing for the arrival of its forthcoming bouncing baby operating system Windows 10. A new optional update with the unremarkable name of KB3035583, and the equally unremarkable description - "This update enables additional capabilities...
News
Microsoft Employees Begin Hosting Windows 7 Launch Part
More...
News
Microsoft Office Backstage (Part 4 - The Help Tab)
More...
News
Microsoft Office Backstage (Part 3 The Info tab)
More...
News
Microsoft Office Backstage (Part 1 Backstory)
More...
News
Oops: Microsoft Asks Some Laid Off Workers To Send Back Part Of Their Severance
LOL more: techcrunch.com
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App