Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Relocate Output Folders

14 May 2015   #11
Elljay

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If you want to redirect these folders, you have to change the programs that create them. That is not a very practical proposition though. So you are stuck with them in Documents or the other libraries - I have a couple in Videos also.
Hi whs. No that would not be a very practical proposition.
What kind of Videos whs? Do you have a link?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 May 2015   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Elljay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If you want to redirect these folders, you have to change the programs that create them. That is not a very practical proposition though. So you are stuck with them in Documents or the other libraries - I have a couple in Videos also.
Hi whs. No that would not be a very practical proposition.
What kind of Videos whs? Do you have a link?
I think you misunderstood. Those are no videos but video programs that place their repositories into the My Videos library. The example in the picture is a screen recording program. Note that all my own files are on a different disk in a different library.


Attached Thumbnails
Relocate Output Folders-2015-05-14_1823.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2015   #13
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Hey, I hope you can accomplish what you are trying to do. As our friends have already told, the best approach would be to use the programs' settings to change documents folder (might not be applicable to all programs).

Several ideas:
- Consider to not clutter the desktop with many files, not a very good practice!
- If you have a few files that you want on desktop, just make a shortcut to them. (Right-click the file->Send to->Desktop)
- If you need more files or the files change often/new files created, then you can simply create a folder shortcut (Same as a file shortcut). So you can access your files with 1 click. Plus your desktop will be clean and tidy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 May 2015   #14
Elljay

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Elljay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If you want to redirect these folders, you have to change the programs that create them. That is not a very practical proposition though. So you are stuck with them in Documents or the other libraries - I have a couple in Videos also.
Hi whs. No that would not be a very practical proposition.
What kind of Videos whs? Do you have a link?
I think you misunderstood. Those are no videos but video programs that place their repositories into the My Videos library. The example in the picture is a screen recording program. Note that all my own files are on a different disk in a different library.
Lol...thank you. Tired and I didn't read that properly. I was having a blonde moment.
Rereading, I understand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #15
Elljay

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
Hey, I hope you can accomplish what you are trying to do. As our friends have already told, the best approach would be to use the programs' settings to change documents folder (might not be applicable to all programs).
Several ideas:
- Consider to not clutter the desktop with many files, not a very good practice!
- If you have a few files that you want on desktop, just make a shortcut to them. (Right-click the file->Send to->Desktop)
- If you need more files or the files change often/new files created, then you can simply create a folder shortcut (Same as a file shortcut). So you can access your files with 1 click. Plus your desktop will be clean and tidy.
Thank you GokAy.
Yes, I know this little tip.
I don't think I have a cluttered desktop. I don't like clutter.
Gets a little messy when I'm fooling around on projects but I clean it up, so it's always pretty tidy.
I have had Fences for a long time, 5 years or so.
Fences is awesome and I can do all sorts of kewl things like make Portals and other desktops.
Each Fence has a scroll bar etc. I can make it all disappear too.
I was hoping to move those Folders to my desktop and put them in a Fence.
Everyone should have Fences.





Attached Images
Relocate Output Folders-stardock-fences-logo-organise-you-desktop.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #16
Elljay

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Thank you everyone for your input.
I need to put my petty problem aside for now and help my sister.
I'll figure it all out.
She's got bugs again!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #17
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Hey

I do use Fences as well. I bought it when Fences was v1 using v2 atm (installed v1 on my laptop). Back then I was looking for a solution to keep icon layout when switching to triple monitor resolutions etc. Very nice program indeed.

Hmm, why don't you make a couple of folder portals for the folders you wish on desktop? I know it is not the same as having several folder contents in one fence window but still would be neat.

What do you think?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #18
Elljay

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
Hey

I do use Fences as well. I bought it when Fences was v1 using v2 atm (installed v1 on my laptop). Back then I was looking for a solution to keep icon layout when switching to triple monitor resolutions etc. Very nice program indeed.

Hmm, why don't you make a couple of folder portals for the folders you wish on desktop? I know it is not the same as having several folder contents in one fence window but still would be neat.

What do you think?
My problem is, is that I like to be organized and I have many 'real' documents. I don't like having to trudge through all the stuff that doesn't belong there. To me, they simply are not documents and I want them separated.
OCD, Lol. Naw, not really... I think.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #19
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

There is one other thing maybe you can use. Symbolic linking, and perhaps a combination of linking and folder portal.

MKLINK Create and Use Links in Windows

(People used to use symbolic links with their Steam installs when they ran out of space and wanted selective game folders on other partitions/drives.)

So, you can use either:
- linking directly to desktop (you have to try if this can be done, as I have no experience with linking)
- linking to some other dummy folder and make a folder portal to the dummy folder so it only holds the Documents folders of the programs you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2015   #20
Elljay

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
There is one other thing maybe you can use. Symbolic linking, and perhaps a combination of linking and folder portal.

MKLINK Create and Use Links in Windows

(People used to use symbolic links with their Steam installs when they ran out of space and wanted selective game folders on other partitions/drives.)

So, you can use either:
- linking directly to desktop (you have to try if this can be done, as I have no experience with linking)
- linking to some other dummy folder and make a folder portal to the dummy folder so it only holds the Documents folders of the programs you want.
Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to simply drag it else where.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Relocate Output Folders




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Relocate User folders during Win7 instalation error
I am doing a fresh install on a new system. I followed the directions to use Audit Node to create accounts on another disk. When I entered the commend Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot /unattend:C:\relocate.xml i recieved the following error message: "System Preparation Tool 3.14 Windows could not parse...
Installation & Setup
How to relocate win7 public folders
I am using the method suggested in the Windows 7 Inside and Out book to relocate my user files. All seemed to be fine until I attempt to relocate the 'public music, public pictures, and others' files. The 'location' tab of properties of each public folder will not allow/accept changes to the...
Customization
Microsoft Office and others, Would Like to Relocate Them
I apologize if I am in an inappropriate thread/forum but I need advice. I acquired a nice computer from a company that has recently upgraded their entire network. They moved into a new building and took nothing with them except the large coffee pot. The computer has a single (large) HD with...
Microsoft Office
Unable to relocate Personal Data folders
I was trying to relocate some of my personal data folders in my User Profile folder (My Music, My Videos, My Pictures). I right clicked on the folder, selected "Properties" and then selected the "Location" tab from the two rows of tabs. I set the location to my D drive (non-system drive). Clicked...
General Discussion
Pagefile - can I relocate this?
Is it possible for me to relocate where my pagefile is located? I have a 2 gig partition that seems to be doing nothing, can it be directed there? Thanks!
Performance & Maintenance
Can you relocate desktop
I've partitioned my disk into C: for OS and Programs and E: for Data. I'd like my Desktop to live in E: instead of C:. Is that possible? Thanks Pete
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App