Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't delete or open folder that end with a dot

25 May 2015   #21
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madmax2 View Post
I still think Winrar should fix this though.
There's nothing to fix. Just click on Extract files... and choose the name of the destination folder.
Attachment 360094
I must not be following your instructions correctly.

Starting with the sample RAR that I've attached to this post...
...I selected Extract files... from the context menu.
Attachment 360139

Doing that, offered me this:
Attachment 360140
Notice that the period after "new" has automatically been removed by WinRAR.

Clicking OK in the screen shown above gets me this:
Attachment 360141

Going inside of "new" shows me this:
Attachment 360142
A folder with a problematic name for Windows.

Attachment 360143
You can create a brand new folder called whatever you want so the new. folder never gets created. No problems for Windows then.
Can't delete or open folder that end with a dot-capture.jpg





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 May 2015   #22
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post

There's nothing to fix. Just click on Extract files... and choose the name of the destination folder.
Attachment 360094
I must not be following your instructions correctly.

Starting with the sample RAR that I've attached to this post...
...I selected Extract files... from the context menu.
Attachment 360139

Doing that, offered me this:
Attachment 360140
Notice that the period after "new" has automatically been removed by WinRAR.

Clicking OK in the screen shown above gets me this:
Attachment 360141

Going inside of "new" shows me this:
Attachment 360142
A folder with a problematic name for Windows.

Attachment 360143
You can create a brand new folder called whatever you want so the new. folder never gets created. No problems for Windows then.
Attachment 360291
What did you find when you went inside of that folder named "new"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2015   #23
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Nothing, the folder was created but nothing was placed in it.

EDIT: Sorry, the New Folder was created when I first clicked on new while in Winrar but nothing was placed in there when I changed the save location. If I hadn't expanded the new folder nothing would have been placed in there, there was no option to expand it before I clicked on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 May 2015   #24
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Peazip results?

Just to add to the mix. Using PeaZip results in the following:

"Extract here" - original folder saved to desktop
Can't delete or open folder that end with a dot-peazip-1.jpg

results in folder named "new" and no dot. Files inside are correctly named.
Can't delete or open folder that end with a dot-peazip-2.jpg

Using Peazip File Browser gives exactly the same results. No dot in the extracted folder name.
Can't delete or open folder that end with a dot-peazip-3.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2015   #25
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
Nothing, the folder was created but nothing was placed in it.

EDIT: Sorry, the New Folder was created when I first clicked on new while in Winrar but nothing was placed in there when I changed the save location. If I hadn't expanded the new folder nothing would have been placed in there, there was no option to expand it before I clicked on it.
Unless you complete the extraction, I don't think that you will see what I'm talking about. So far, I'm not seeing any benefit to adding more folders. I'm not seeing any way to prevent WinRAR from creating folder names and file names that Windows does not like when extracting the new..RAR file that I posted earlier.

The end result of the extraction by WinRAR should be \new.\test..\test.txt.
(that is one dot after new, two dots after the folder named test and one dot after txt)
Those are three "invalid" (but desired) names.

You can add all of the new folders in front of \new. that you want. It does not seem to solve anything. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Just to add to the mix. Using PeaZip results in the following:

"Extract here" - original folder saved to desktop
Attachment 360298

results in folder named "new" and no dot. Files inside are correctly named.
Attachment 360299

Using Peazip File Browser gives exactly the same results. No dot in the extracted folder name.
Attachment 360300
They are not correct if the desired result is the exact path inside the RAR file :-)

The 64bit version of PeaZip 5.6.0 seems to be based on 7ZIP. It changed the trailing dot(s) to underscore(s) for me.
\new_\test__\test.txt_
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2015   #26
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Okay the mystery is solved for me. Using Peazip 5.6.0 64bit I get

\new\test\test.txt - when using Extract or Extract Here

if using "Open As Archive"

I get shown the full paths including dots in Peazip file browser window. However any attempt to move those files into windows (desktop or anywhere else) and the additional dots get removed presumably by Explorer.

I don't see any underscores. I'm not sure why. Reseach suggests that underscores are a result of windows stripping illegal characters from file names. I cannot replicate \new_\test__\test.txt_ for some reason.

WinRAR keeps the file and folder names ending in dot but I cannot view them using Explorer and they can be force deleted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2015   #27
madmax2

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

For anyone that wants to test this problem in winrar..

Create two rar files
-aaa..rar
-b.rar

Select both files
Right click

Choose
Winrar > extract each archive to separate folder

http://i.imgur.com/LCpwP53.png

I have uploaded some attached files for people to test


Attached Files
File Type: rar aaa..rar (72 Bytes, 0 views)
File Type: rar b.rar (73 Bytes, 0 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2015   #28
samehb

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Hello, I came into this thread while I was trying to find a ready solution myself. This issue with the folders can be manually fixed by using the command line console and entering this:

dir /x /ad

What this command does is list all the folders with their short and long names. You can simply check the line with the affected folder and use the short name which is displayed right before the long name and after <Dir>. Then, use this command

ren foldershortname newfoldername

That is it. There is also a similar solution. Though, I decided to automate this since I deal with this issue having to deal with plenty of files. You can use my project to fix the folders issues without any effort. It provides shell extension support. So, you can simply right click the main folder that contains the affected folder(s) then click Fix Folders Names and you are done:

https://github.com/samehb/FoldersFixer

P.S. Sorry for bumping this old thread. I only posted here because I wanted anyone googling the problem to easily find the solution.

Regards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2015   #29
madmax2

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samehb View Post
Hello, I came into this thread while I was trying to find a ready solution myself. This issue with the folders can be manually fixed by using the command line console and entering this:

dir /x /ad

What this command does is list all the folders with their short and long names. You can simply check the line with the affected folder and use the short name which is displayed right before the long name and after <Dir>. Then, use this command

ren foldershortname newfoldername

That is it. There is also a similar solution. Though, I decided to automate this since I deal with this issue having to deal with plenty of files. You can use my project to fix the folders issues without any effort. It provides shell extension support. So, you can simply right click the main folder that contains the affected folder(s) then click Fix Folders Names and you are done:

https://github.com/samehb/FoldersFixer

P.S. Sorry for bumping this old thread. I only posted here because I wanted anyone googling the problem to easily find the solution.

Regards.

thanks

but the simple solution is posted on page 1 under my original post
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2015   #30
samehb

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madmax2 View Post


thanks

but the simple solution is posted on page 1 under my original post
Hello madmax2, the fix you provided (\\?\ prefix) is what I referred to as similar solution in my post. My project allows you to mass rename all affected folders without having to deal with them one by one. It also allows you to keep the folders in case you need the files inside them. You can use it by right clicking the root folder then clicking Fix Folders Names (after running it once). That is all you need to do.

Best Wishes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't delete or open folder that end with a dot




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
local folder cannot open cannot delete
Hi all! So i know, back on my old win installation, there used to be a folder i couldnt access and couldnt delete or anything. Now, for other reasons, i reinstalled windows with a remaining windows.old folder. Everything from there can be deleted (which i already did) except this very...
General Discussion
Double Click Network folder does nothing to open folder
I have a customer that when he boots up his computer one of his network drives doesn't map properly thus creating headaches with all of his applications that try to use the files on the shared drive. If I double click on the x'd out network drive nothing happens. If I right click on it, it opens...
Network & Sharing
Cannot delete file, open in EFS
12/10/12 Trying to delete a file I believe was migrated over from old Gateway system from 2008 running XP Pro sp3. System says file is open in EFS, but the file is NOT encrypted. Attached is a .zip of the file that I renamed and the original from an old backup showing full name. The file I am...
General Discussion
Not able to delete folder in folder infinite structure.
I was using Netbeans IDE and xampp, It crashed when I moved a project using its function, and when I checked out the folder it had infinite folder in folder structure. Its not possible to delete it , I can not open more than below . . ...
General Discussion
Cannot open folder or continue task because file or folder is open?
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm not sure which category this fits in, so I'll post here first. I just got a new Samsung RC420 laptop with Win7 Home Premium edition OS. When I was installing a software last night, a message pops up and tells me I cannot continue installation until I close a...
General Discussion
How do I delete open pictures all at once in Photoshop
When I open new picture files in Photoshop Elements 5 one at a time the windows get stacked up and when it is time to delete them I have to delete one at a time after it asks me if I want to save them. I have had this problem for years but maybe I am missing something. It doesn't matter if I use...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App