Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Replace system builder Windows 7 disc?

06 Jun 2015   #11
gregrocker

 

System Builder OEM is not what's used on a manufactured PC, Brian. That is Factory OEM which is the only SKU that supposedly doesn't work on the new Software Center.

As Mike points out System Builder OEM is all that's available now for sale for Win7. It is a retail SKU in that its sold to consumers and not in bulk to manufacturers like Factory OEM. At one time it was only available to builders who intended to sell custom built rigs, but this rule was loosened in Win7.

All reports at first were that the new software center doesn't work, but recently some say they can get it to recognize their retail keys in Internet Explorer.

In any case if one owns a Win7 license they are entitled to reinstall it as they please and should have media available to do so without needing to waste money buying another license for something they already own. So read Step 1 in Clean Reinstall Windows 7
and ask back any questions to obtain safe media.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jun 2015   #12
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
System Builder OEM is not what's used on a manufactured PC, Brian. That is Factory OEM which is the only SKU that supposedly doesn't work on the new Software Center.

As Mike points out System Builder OEM is all that's available now for sale for Win7. It is a retail SKU in that its sold to consumers and not in bulk to manufacturers like Factory OEM. At one time it was only available to builders who intended to sell custom built rigs, but this rule was loosened in Win7.

All reports at first were that the new software center doesn't work, but recently some say they can get it to recognize their retail keys in Internet Explorer.
I tried it a couple days ago with my retail key and IE and it just threw an Unsupported language error at me. It would only let me install Swedish language version which isn't much good to me in England. So yeah it still has issues but has worked for some.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2015   #13
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I agree with you 100% Greg.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jun 2015   #14
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
All reports at first were that the new software center doesn't work, but recently some say they can get it to recognize their retail keys in Internet Explorer.
I tried it a couple days ago with my retail key and IE and it just threw an Unsupported language error at me.
Dang Brit's it's a wonder anyone can understand that Snatch lingo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #15
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
All reports at first were that the new software center doesn't work, but recently some say they can get it to recognize their retail keys in Internet Explorer.
I tried it a couple days ago with my retail key and IE and it just threw an Unsupported language error at me.
Dang Brit's it's a wonder anyone can understand that Snatch lingo
Haha I know! And to think the English language originated here, yet these days, when you hear people talk it's barely recognisable!

Probably does sound like Swedish to most people.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #16
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
System Builder OEM is not what's used on a manufactured PC, Brian. That is Factory OEM which is the only SKU that supposedly doesn't work on the new Software Center.

As Mike points out System Builder OEM is all that's available now for sale for Win7. It is a retail SKU in that its sold to consumers and not in bulk to manufacturers like Factory OEM. At one time it was only available to builders who intended to sell custom built rigs, but this rule was loosened in Win7.

All reports at first were that the new software center doesn't work, but recently some say they can get it to recognize their retail keys in Internet Explorer.
I tried it a couple days ago with my retail key and IE and it just threw an Unsupported language error at me. It would only let me install Swedish language version which isn't much good to me in England. So yeah it still has issues but has worked for some.
You mean it would only let you download a Swedish iso file ?

Even though you have an English Windows 7 key.

I`m tellin ya, that site is useless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #17
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
System Builder OEM is not what's used on a manufactured PC, Brian. That is Factory OEM which is the only SKU that supposedly doesn't work on the new Software Center.

As Mike points out System Builder OEM is all that's available now for sale for Win7. It is a retail SKU in that its sold to consumers and not in bulk to manufacturers like Factory OEM. At one time it was only available to builders who intended to sell custom built rigs, but this rule was loosened in Win7.

All reports at first were that the new software center doesn't work, but recently some say they can get it to recognize their retail keys in Internet Explorer.
I tried it a couple days ago with my retail key and IE and it just threw an Unsupported language error at me. It would only let me install Swedish language version which isn't much good to me in England. So yeah it still has issues but has worked for some.
You mean it would only let you download a Swedish iso file ?

Even though you have an English Windows 7 key.

I`m tellin ya, that site is useless.
Yeah, every time I tried English I got that error. It was only when I selected Swedish it offered me the link to download it.
They should just remove it as it's clearly not working for most people.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #18
gregrocker

 

It's the same as with Windows 8 release - Win7 is given short shrift because all the momentum in the company is toward the new release and the attitude is that everyone will love it so who cares about Windows 7 any longer? Such disregard for the hands-down best OS ever is aggravating, you'd think they would have learned something in the Windows 8 debacle. Now once again all are assumed to be migrating to Windows 10, with only these forums left to speak for the best OS ever. I have asked repeatedly in MVP communications channels for reconsideration on the ISO's and cannot even find out who is responsible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #19
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It's the same as with Windows 8 release - Win7 is given short shrift because all the momentum in the company is toward the new release and the attitude is that everyone will love it so who cares about Windows 7 any longer? Such disregard for the hands-down best OS ever is aggravating, you'd think they would have learned something in the Windows 8 debacle. Now once again all are assumed to be migrating to Windows 10, with only these forums left to speak for the best OS ever. I have asked repeatedly in MVP communications channels for reconsideration on the ISO's and cannot even find out who is responsible.
It's like a double-edged sword with MS. We've taken away digital river links, only to come up with this wonderful new way to download ISO's from ourselves.

Gee, thanks MS!

Just one tiny snag.... no OEM discs and we're not actually going to put in any effort to making it working properly!

Ohhhhh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2015   #20
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

We can blame Greg for having a popular re-install tutorial that included the digital river link in it

The evil ones are the rat.... manufactures that crammed so much crapware into a computer it was impossible to burn it all onto 1 or 2 disks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Replace system builder Windows 7 disc?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) System Builder OEM
Hello, I have an elderly friend, who recently bought an HP Envy Touchsmart that has Windows 8.1 on it. The salesman at Best Buy made it sound great to him at the time but at 94 years old, he is not willing to learn a new operating system. He very much prefers Windows 7. I've spoken with HP...
Installation & Setup
System Builder version of Windows 7
I just bought a system builder full version of Win 7 on Ebay. Does any one know if there are any differences than the regular one?
General Discussion
Windows 7 pro OEM System Builder - What is this?
What is OEM? Amazon.com: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack: Software I saw this on amazon. Does this lock into motherboard? and the retail version does not? I can barely afford this, let alone the almost twice-as-much retail version...so...what is this? How...
General Discussion
can I use Windows 7 pro OEM system builder DVD pack for my laptop
Hi, Can I install Windows 7 pro OEM system builder DVD pack on my laptop. The license doesn't clearly say if it is for a desktop or laptop. Even if it is for a desktop , can I use it for my laptop? thanks, james
Software
Windows 7 System Builder Question
Hello all, I am thinking of building a new computer and installing Windows 7 Professional. If I were to build it, I'd probably purchase the System Builder Version. Would I be able to still take and install images with that version? Is that version okay? Thanks in advance for your help!
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App