Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Idiots Guide to Uninstall GWX?

18 Oct 2015   #31
DonnaB

Win7 64-bit, Vista 32-bit, XP 32-bit, W2K 32-bit (VM)
 
 

Anybody ever try this? Is it a permanent fix or temporary?

Here's more information on KB2952664, which is the nagware for W7 and KB2976978 which is nagware for W8. I just found KB2952664 on my W7 and uninstalled it as well as KB2976978 that I found on the W8 in my possession that belongs to my son. We just got it back from ASUS. They had to reload the drive, which cost BIG bucks, because my daughter in law allowed the update to install and during configuration it stalled at 82% and ended up in an Automatic Repair reboot loop. I have no idea what she did (totally clueless, she is) but somehow the drive was wiped completely clean. No ability to reset nor refresh. I am so afraid to give this notebook back to them. I did create the recovery USB for them since I know they won't.

sigh.... MS? Why? I thought this was a free Country?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Oct 2015   #32
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

No need it's just a matter of researching the updates before downloading and installing
Pretty easy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #33
DonnaB

Win7 64-bit, Vista 32-bit, XP 32-bit, W2K 32-bit (VM)
 
 

U b so funny. Tell that to my daughter in law. I better set up teamviewer before I send it back to her.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Oct 2015   #34
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
U b so funny. Tell that to my daughter in law. I better set up teamviewer before I send it back to her.
TeamViewer is a good idea. You might consider applying these settings via a reg file:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #35
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Time to teach her how or learn to like win-10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #36
DonnaB

Win7 64-bit, Vista 32-bit, XP 32-bit, W2K 32-bit (VM)
 
 

ThrashZone. I love my daughter in law dearly but some people should not be allowed to touch a computer and she is one of them. Not everybody is gifted with the ability to adapt to changes in technology as we are.

Thank you UsernameIssues. Is that the same Disable_Get_Windows_10.reg file as the one under Option Three in Brinks tutorial found here? If so, mission accomplished.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #37
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Heck you can set the updating to auto and simply uncheck give me recommended the same way and most of the win-10 updates will be excluded.

But yea I feel ya possibly block Facebook
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #38
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
ThrashZone. I love my daughter in law dearly but some people should not be allowed to touch a computer and she is one of them. Not everybody is gifted with the ability to adapt to changes in technology as we are.

Thank you UsernameIssues. Is that the same Disable_Get_Windows_10.reg file as the one under Option Three in Brinks tutorial found here? If so, mission accomplished.
As far as I know, the reg file offered in that tutorial only turns off the notification in the task bar. The other settings that I suggested claim to tell Windows Update to not allow a W10 upgrqde - even if the user asks for it somehow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #39
DonnaB

Win7 64-bit, Vista 32-bit, XP 32-bit, W2K 32-bit (VM)
 
 

Quote:
But yea I feel ya possibly block Facebook
She would freak! After I refreshed the W8.1 from a CW3 infestation I did set it to download but let me decide. Problem was, my son was deployed when she called him to ask if she should install the update and he knows just as much as she does and was oblivious to the fact that MS was sending out that KB which forced and upgrade.

EDIT:

Quote:
As far as I know, the reg file offered in that tutorial only turns off the notification in the task bar. The other settings that I suggested claim to tell Windows Update to not allow a W10 upgrqde - even if the user asks for it somehow.
Really? Ok, cool! I'll have a closer look at what you posted then. I just assumed. I'll keep you informed. It might help others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2015   #40
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
ThrashZone. I love my daughter in law dearly but some people should not be allowed to touch a computer and she is one of them. Not everybody is gifted with the ability to adapt to changes in technology as we are.

Thank you UsernameIssues. Is that the same Disable_Get_Windows_10.reg file as the one under Option Three in Brinks tutorial found here? If so, mission accomplished.
As far as I know, the reg file offered in that tutorial only turns off the notification in the task bar. The other settings that I suggested claim to tell Windows Update to not allow a W10 upgrqde - even if the user asks for it somehow.
This one has that bottom one you listed above,

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Idiots Guide to Uninstall GWX?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
tracking cyber idiots through chats?
There's some idiot hitting on me through a fake facebook profile through messages. She says, she likes me, wants to meet me. I"m sure it's a guy playing a prank. I want to track him through the messages he sent. Is there any way?
System Security
How can I uninstall a program that doesn't appear in Uninstall/change
How can I uninstall a program that doesn't appear in Uninstall/change programs? I can see the program folder in Program files but I guess deleting this folder alone will leave traces on the registy etc. I've tried with CCleaner and Revo uninstaller and the program doesn't appear either. ...
Software
Wanna see a bunch of idiots in operation
Video: How not to clean up from the NYC snow storm — Autoblog kt_r-jO3lKE
Chillout Room
Win: Pirate Bay ISP bashes Hollywood's "clueless idiots
Pirate Bay ISP bashes Hollywood's "clueless idiots" Source: Pirate Bay ISP bashes Hollywood's "clueless idiots" Now, I would agree that Piracy is wrong. But in this case, the owner is entirely correct. ~Lordbob
Chillout Room
Guide from MSFT Install, reinstall & uninstall Windows
Guide from M$ Install, reinstall and uninstall Windows Source Guide from M$ Install, reinstall and uninstall Windows
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App