Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP ENVY 17 Laptop Windows7 - CPU Usage goes 99-100% Randomly 1-2 mins

23 Jun 2015   #31
superfolder

64b w7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When you say you put it on your lap, are you blocking any air vents which is the only way that could affect it that I know of.

How does this differ from how the problem occurred in the previous install?

Have you stress tested the CPU with Prime 95?

Did you reinstall after removing Norton? I would.

I would try to isolate exactly when the problem begins after install, each group of updates, each setting change, each program install - with reboots in between each.
No, it's impossible to block any air vents because I have a hard plastic platform (base) [laptop stand] as in this image below (something similar to that below) -- this gives it the same ground as on a table/desk:

Also, when I place it on a desk, the laptop is still located this laptop stand. The only difference is me moving all/most the time while using the laptop and the laptop is not moving at all on the desk.



I did install/uninstall Norton 360 two times. There was even a case when it froze on my lap while/right after installing Norton, which made me suspect Norton immediately -- but I have Norton for the past 3-4 days now and CPU does not go 100% on a stable platform.

On the fresh Win7, that's what I did (I did not install much anyways) MPC-HC and Codec packs to watch local videos and youtube with internet explorer which was the default browser on the machine.

On the clone 7200rpm, the system is a backup -- I just updated that to the current day and also now cloned it to the SSD. I currently have my original SSD system and still there is no high CPU iussue. (Laptop stable on desk).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GokAy View Post
The first thing I thought of when seeing the use on lap comment was overheating due to vents being closed as Greg mentioned. But you did check temps before, didn't you?
Overheating is not possible due to what I've explained above.

and yes, I have checked the temperatures -- Core temps are around 5x-6x while using the machine normally etc. They would go to 9x during high cpu's and the fan would slow down at some point while having 100% (which is very strange), after which the high cpu would end and I would be able to do some more work.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
I know that you have tried Process Explorer and Process Monitor, but have you tried using the settings mentioned in post #17? Process Monitor should not crash if you set it up that way.
This is the only thing that I have not tried.
But from my previous uses of Process Explorer and Monitor, I could tell that the system was sort of 'blaming' the current active application and/or not showing anything that is using the CPU.
I should probably further test with the method you've mentioned in post #17 with the laptop on my lap. (This is so annoying because it's very random. Sometimes can take up to 2 hours for a high CPU -- depending on my movements I guess? who knows..)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Jun 2015   #32
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Another option would be to boot to a Linux Mint DVD (or the like). Don't install that OS, just surf the Internet for a few hours while the laptop is in your lap. Perhaps you have some weird hardware issue that only shows itself when you flex/twist/lift the laptop a certain way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2015   #33
mike009

w7 ultimate 64-bit sp1
 
 

Hi, most CPU's will throttle if they don't get enough power or when they get to hot, please use CPU-Z and Core temp (or Speccy) to monitor CPU usage and temperature. Please note Windows task manager only shows % usage of CPU, if CPU is throttled it will only work at a fraction of it's full capacity. (you don't have system specs filled out you can use Speccy to update them) If you have *for example* I5 2520M capable of running @ 2.50 GHz and it overheats protection will throttle it to run @ *1GHz or less. Windows task manager will only report on % usage not clock speed of CPU or temperature, so in actual fact it's 40% usage not 100%.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jun 2015   #34
gregrocker

 

My point was that when you installed Norton immediately after a clean reinstall, you ruined the reinstall. So it cannot be said that you have done a Clean reinstall if you immediately reinstalled the worst bloatware possible on it.

What about stress testing the processor? Do not skip any steps which you are given in such a complicated troubleshooting if you want continued help. When steps are ignored we have no idea if it means you are doing them, Unsure how to do them, Or ignoring them. And later we read back through the thread and see every fifth step ignored. When this happens the fix often happens to be the ignored step.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2015   #35
superfolder

64b w7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Another option would be to boot to a Linux Mint DVD (or the like). Don't install that OS, just surf the Internet for a few hours while the laptop is in your lap. Perhaps you have some weird hardware issue that only shows itself when you flex/twist/lift the laptop a certain way.
I have a few live CD's/DVD's of Linux and/or Windows Operating Systems.
I did not use them to test that way (use the laptop like that) because I can't carry out my daily tasks using them.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mike009 View Post
Hi, most CPU's will throttle if they don't get enough power or when they get to hot, please use CPU-Z and Core temp (or Speccy) to monitor CPU usage and temperature. Please note Windows task manager only shows % usage of CPU, if CPU is throttled it will only work at a fraction of it's full capacity. (you don't have system specs filled out you can use Speccy to update them) If you have *for example* I5 2520M capable of running @ 2.50 GHz and it overheats protection will throttle it to run @ *1GHz or less. Windows task manager will only report on % usage not clock speed of CPU or temperature, so in actual fact it's 40% usage not 100%.
This makes sense, will see if this is the case.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
My point was that when you installed Norton immediately after a clean reinstall, you ruined the reinstall. So it cannot be said that you have done a Clean reinstall if you immediately reinstalled the worst bloatware possible on it.

What about stress testing the processor? Do not skip any steps which you are given in such a complicated troubleshooting if you want continued help. When steps are ignored we have no idea if it means you are doing them, Unsure how to do them, Or ignoring them. And later we read back through the thread and see every fifth step ignored. When this happens the fix often happens to be the ignored step.
I've been using Norton for about 10 years (I've also used different AV's) and did not have major issues with it. Therefore, I don't consider it as ruining a reinstall and I don't mind having such bloatware on my system anyways. -- You just don't seem to like Norton at all.

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool was used for testing (120mins). Other tests (memory, hard drive etc) were carried out with the laptop placed on a desk, and it always passed all sort of tests. I don't see any reason to test the system any more. [I also ran HP diagnostic tools and tested every component cpu, hdd, memory... even the cd writer, usb ports etc -- everything is running fine]

As I wrote earlier, I believe to have a great deal of knowledge in this area as well and am not an amateur.
I don't see how 'every fifth step' is supposed to help me, if I see the system is having high cpu issues even at the early stages.

An example: The clone system has all drives and I am clearly telling you that it had no issues last year, when it was cloned, yet you insist on installing missing drivers on the fresh Win7 drive or not installing Norton [note that the clone had Norton too] -- which does not make any sense. Because I can tell it's not even the issue here.
I have enough evidence that some of the steps are not even related therefore I skip them.
If I see a step that I decide is a pure waste of time (an obvious example: 'install your programs' and 'copy back your personal files' step -- how is that going to help me? It's a pure waste of time to re-do everything over and over again).

But if somebody tells me to remove the battery, unplug the power cable etc. this may sound irrelevant/unrelated but I have no evidence that the problem is not caused by them -- maybe it's really caused by corrupt battery or power cable or bluray reader who knows?, so I give it a try, hope this makes sense.

Even the fresh Win7 with only ethernet adapter and some updates and programs etc. installed, the laptop did have 100% cpu. So there is no point in installing anything else to that system, if I see this is happening.




-----------------
I am currently on my original system with SSD + HDD, and still no issues. Laptop on a desk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2015   #36
gregrocker

 

I've seen at least 100 cases here where removing Norton solved the problems involved. Nothing else was needed. That's all.

We do not ignore missing drivers in Device Manager, at least not without tracing exactly what they are. Are you seriously arguing to leave a bunch of drivers uninstalled in Device Manager? That is a first.

This is the top tech forums in web history. We don't negotiate what works best, we observe and report it. I have been here every day since before Win7 was released.

Unsubscribed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2015   #37
mike009

w7 ultimate 64-bit sp1
 
 

Hi, 100% of 0 is still 0.
CPU-Z will tell you make model of your CPU and speeds it's capable of (+more).
Core Temp will show temperatures reported by the sensor on the CPU.
IntelBurnTest will let you stress test CPU(if you have other means of doing this that's fine also as this one is quite intense)

if temperature is not an issue then test replace power/battery


Attached Thumbnails
HP ENVY 17 Laptop Windows7 - CPU Usage goes 99-100% Randomly 1-2 mins-test.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP ENVY 17 Laptop Windows7 - CPU Usage goes 99-100% Randomly 1-2 mins




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Blank screen for 15 Mins after windows7 logo before login
Hi I reinstalled windows7 due to blank screen with pointer on loging through both safe mode and normal mode. Even after reinstallation I am getting blank screen after windows logo. After 15 mins I can see windows login page and then it is normal. my RAM s 2 GB.. I havent downloaded any...
General Discussion
BSOD randomly when using laptop. Usually after 5-10 mins.
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I really need some help. I've been getting the BSOD for about a week and a half now. At first, I didn't worry much because it didn't seem like a big problem as it was happening randomly. Then it started becoming more frequent that I would get it after 5-10 minutes...
BSOD Help and Support
RAM usage at 96% 10 mins after boot up - cant figure it out!
Hi Guys, My friend has an HP Presario notebook which she is having trouble with and asked me to take a look at it. In short, its Win 7 x64 Home Premium with 2GB RAM and an Intel Celeron CPU (i forget which model of CPU). Unit boots fine, and logs on, but what struck me was it was very...
Performance & Maintenance
HP Envy randomly freezing, completely
Hi everyone, it seems my HP laptop has some problem(s) and fortunately I discovered this forum which appears to have a helpful and experienced community :). So as you probably can see I have an HP Envy 17 with many problems, but the biggest of them all is this random freezing. When it freezes...
General Discussion
BSOD after 20 - 30 mins of machine usage
Hi, I have an Asus G51 gaming series laptop. It has an intel core i7 with 4G of RAM and a GTX 260M for a graphics card. I've been getting a BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER BSOD almost every-time i use my machine for over 20 mins. My machine was working fine , until i bought an external monitor and started...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows7 Ultimate 64 takes 7 mins to get from windows logo to login
Hello, I've been googling and trying suggestions from forums on this problem for a couple of days and no luck..... A couple of weeks ago it appeared that my computer would get a Black Screen of Death after the windows logo. But it turned out that if you wait 7mins (along time to wait with...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App