Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is WD Green good enough to pair up with SSD?

01 Aug 2015   #21
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcwin View Post
When accessing a file in WD Green vs WD Black, can you guys notice the difference/lag between these 2 drives? Do you actually feel the difference that much that you know you are accessing a file in a WD Green or WD Black.
I use a 1 TB green for Windows 8.1 program storage. The OS is on an SSD. So essentially, I do what you want to do...

I notice no difference between the speed of access on my green drive and my black drive which is program storage for my Windows 7 Install. They are the same with one exception:

The first file that you access on the green drive is slow, because it has to wake up. Any further access on the drive is at normal speeds and no different from the black drive, as long as it doesn't go back to sleep/park in the meantime.

So unless you need the extra warranty, or are that concerned about speed, a green will do you just fine.

EDIT: Actually, a blue or black drive would be a better choice for the speed factor.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Aug 2015   #22
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcwin View Post
If I download a file and save it to a WD Green vs WD Black, is there a difference of time it will take to download finish?

Lets say downloading a 1GB file takes 1 hour to save to WD Black, does it take a longer time (maybe 1 hour 30mins) to save into WD Green?
No. The write speed differences are in milliseconds. You'll never notice the difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2015   #23
pcwin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post

The first file that you access on the green drive is slow, because it has to wake up. Any further access on the drive is at normal speeds and no different from the black drive, as long as it doesn't go back to sleep/park in the meantime.

So unless you need the extra warranty, or are that concerned about speed, a green will do you just fine.
I thought after 8 seconds of idling, the green will park its head, and any file you access on the green after 8 seconds idle will be considered a first file? Does it mean every 8 seconds of idle, when you access a file on the green, it will be considered as a first file, and it is slow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Aug 2015   #24
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

If you access the drive after a long period of inactivity (more than 8 seconds) the first file that the drive reads will be slow (around 1 - 2 seconds access time, it seems). After that file is accessed, any more reads or writes are just as fast as any other drive running at 5400 RPM, as long as the drive doesn't go back to sleep or park itself in the meantime.

So, long sustained writes and reads, or multiple file reads are as fast as any other drive after the first file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2015   #25
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcwin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post

The first file that you access on the green drive is slow, because it has to wake up. Any further access on the drive is at normal speeds and no different from the black drive, as long as it doesn't go back to sleep/park in the meantime.

So unless you need the extra warranty, or are that concerned about speed, a green will do you just fine.
I thought after 8 seconds of idling, the green will park its head, and any file you access on the green after 8 seconds idle will be considered a first file? Does it mean every 8 seconds of idle, when you access a file on the green, it will be considered as a first file, and it is slow.
You're going to be disappointed with the green. If you bought it, you'd continue to think that if only you'd bought something else, performance would be better. You're in a lose-lose situation. I can't imagine you'd buy the green and be glad you did considering what you've read, what you think, and what you believe.

Look for a blue, a black, a red, or a Hitachi.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2015   #26
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You're going to be disappointed with the green. If you bought it, you'd continue to think that if only you'd bought something else, performance would be better. You're in a lose-lose situation. I can't imagine you'd buy the green and be glad you did considering what you've read, what you think, and what you believe.

Look for a blue, a black, a red, or a Hitachi.
Good point. I was thinking in terms of power consumption because I just spent an evening writing a report on it.

A blue or black would be a much better choice for the OP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2015   #27
pcwin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
If you access the drive after a long period of inactivity (more than 8 seconds) the first file that the drive reads will be slow (around 1 - 2 seconds access time, it seems). After that file is accessed, any more reads or writes are just as fast as any other drive running at 5400 RPM, as long as the drive doesn't go back to sleep or park itself in the meantime.

So, long sustained writes and reads, or multiple file reads are as fast as any other drive after the first file.
I am just trying to understand better. Hope you don't mind.

Lets say I have FileA and FileB

I just switch on the PC and I access first file FileA and it is slow because it is the first file. I went to the toilet for 30 seconds, after that I then access second file FileB.
Q1 Would the FileB be as slow as the FileA?
Q2 Would FileB be considered as as a first file since the WD Green has been idle for more than 8 seconds? (I assume every 8 seconds of inactivity, WD Green would park/sleep)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2015   #28
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Q1: Yes
Q2: Yes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #29
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcwin View Post
If I download a file and save it to a WD Green vs WD Black, is there a difference of time it will take to download finish?

Lets say downloading a 1GB file takes 1 hour to save to WD Black, does it take a longer time (maybe 1 hour 30mins) to save into WD Green?
I'm guessing more like maybe an hour and ten or fifteen minutes maybe; I never actually timed it (btw, a 1GB file shouldn't take anywhere nearly as long as those times). The difference that is noticeable between Blacks and Greens is when you first access a file. The Green has to "wake" up if it's been more than 8 seconds since the drive had last been read or written to and has parked the heads and has had time to be spun down to idle speed. Unparking the heads is almost instantaneous but spinning it back up is where the noticeable lag occurs. It's subtle but definitely noticeable: I notice it all the time when I have a Green in my computer's Hot swap bay, which connects directly to a SATA port on the MOBO without going through a bridge chip, and I'm looking at files on both the Black and on the Green.

This doesn't mean a Green is too slow for anything. They are fast enough to be able to stream all but the largest video files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #30
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcwin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post

The first file that you access on the green drive is slow, because it has to wake up. Any further access on the drive is at normal speeds and no different from the black drive, as long as it doesn't go back to sleep/park in the meantime.

So unless you need the extra warranty, or are that concerned about speed, a green will do you just fine.
I thought after 8 seconds of idling, the green will park its head, and any file you access on the green after 8 seconds idle will be considered a first file? Does it mean every 8 seconds of idle, when you access a file on the green, it will be considered as a first file, and it is slow.
You're going to be disappointed with the green. If you bought it, you'd continue to think that if only you'd bought something else, performance would be better. You're in a lose-lose situation. I can't imagine you'd buy the green and be glad you did considering what you've read, what you think, and what you believe.

Look for a blue, a black, a red, or a Hitachi.
I would avoid the Reds. I would use a Green before I would use a Red. The Blues are pretty good despite the two year warranty but top out at only 1TB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is WD Green good enough to pair up with SSD?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I am looking for a good program to remove Pet Green Eye
Wondering if anyone knows of a good easy to use program to remove pet green eye from photos that will save your photo with the high quality that it was to begin with? If anyone knows of an online photo printing place that offers Pet Green Eye removal. This would help too. I have Photoshop,...
Software
Bluetooth wont pair
Hi, I have just reinstalled 7 on my Samsung laptop. It is 32bit system, an I installed 64 bit ultimate as I installed 4GB ram. Now I can’t find any Bluetooth devices, and also when I pair my phone with it, and it shows "A Bluetooth device is trying to connect, Click to allow this" When...
Hardware & Devices
Computer randomly turns off with green blinking green light on power
So today I was just watching a YouTube video, not gaming, not doing anything too intensive. Suddenly my computer shuts off with the power button blinking green. No BSOD, just powered off and won't turn back on. I tried unplugging the power cable and holding down the power button for 30 secs with no...
Hardware & Devices
alt advice for a cpu/ mobo pair
i am thinking of getting Amazon.com: AMD FX -4130 3.8Ghz Processor FD4130FRGUBOX: Computers & Accessories does any one know a good mobo to pair with it that will play nice with whats in my spec sheet aside from the graphics card as i am upgrading to evga 760 4gb
Hardware & Devices
twisted wire pair and frequency
Hi it is said that the twisted wire pair can carry different frequencies and that is the amazing thing in it . thus it is being used for net connections .. let me ask what is the meaning of that it carries different frequency components? don't data mingle ? and what about coaxial and fiber...
General Discussion
I am looking for a good au - pair
Hello guys, I really need your help! As you may already know, I work as a nanny abroad. This is my current profession. I find family by registering and paying in various websites. The trouble is, my current website where I paid 3 months golden membership is expiring and I do not want to renew...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App