Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Dell T7500

04 Aug 2015   #1
Molds2014

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Dell T7500

Hello all;
I want to breathe a bit of new life into this old workhorse, and wonder if it can be done.
1. Approximate cost
2. Level of difficulty & time.
System: Xeon W5580 @3.2GHz (twin CPU's); RAM: 12GB; W7 Pro 64 bit, SP1; WinExp index: 7.1
Owner: SolidWorks junkie :-)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2015   #2
countzero

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

0. can be done
1. 80-180$
2. easy, 6 hours installing windows and software.

buy an intel ssd to be on the safe side, dell, hp are picky. 535 or 730 series 120-240GB
04 Aug 2015   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

Time and difficulty dependent on whether or not you would also do a clean install when you move to the SSD.

You could simply "clone" the existing system to the SSD without doing a clean install.

Or you could "image" the existing system to the SSD without doing a clean install.

Clone or image can be done at no charge with free tools.

There's some learning curve involved in using these free tools, so from a time standpoint you may be just as well off to do a clean install. If you knew how to use the tools, you could image the HDD system to the SSD in no more than an hour.

04 Aug 2015   #4
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit

Hi,
Best way to improve an install is switching to a ssd
Doubt brand makes a diff but Samsung evo even crucial mx100 are good and pretty cheap for a 250-256gb. 100.us

I would install as a clean install and not transfer for less garbage transferring to the ssd
Start fresh for best results

Install times well that will depend on your install media having sp1 on the install will reduce time a lot.
04 Aug 2015   #5
Molds2014

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Best way to improve an install is switching to a ssd
Doubt brand makes a diff but Samsung evo even crucial mx100 are good and pretty cheap for a 250-256gb. 100.us

I would install as a clean install and not transfer for less garbage transferring to the ssd
Start fresh for best results

Install times well that will depend on your install media having sp1 on the install will reduce time a lot.
Thank you, Trashzone;
I originally learned about this forum when wanting to migrate from XP to W7, and was more than thankful for all of the support from everyone involved. The experience was pure fun and I LOVE this place.
On to my project & a bit more history:
1.The machine has recently had a clean install, and is working perfectly.
2.Is there a way to take a system image, create a rescue disk to go with it and move the opsys over to the new SSD while leaving all of the data on the HDD?
3.The goal is to continue using this system for another year and think about a new platform.

Keeping all of this in mind, I could really make use of some detailed instructions.
All the best, Steve
04 Aug 2015   #6
ignatzatsonic

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Molds2014 View Post
2.Is there a way to take a system image, create a rescue disk to go with it and move the opsys over to the new SSD while leaving all of the data on the HDD?

Did you see my earlier post in this thread regarding imaging and cloning?

There are tutorials on this site about both.

Your situation would be complicated by wanting to leave the data on the HDD.

Is your data on its own partition? Or is it on the same partition as the OS--the C partition.

How you would proceed would depend on your current partitioning scheme, which would be revealed by Windows Disk Management. So you might want to post a screen shot of that.
04 Aug 2015   #7
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit

Hi,
ignatzatsonic is a pro at this sort of process plus a lot more
I'm sure he can guide you
04 Aug 2015   #8
countzero

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

i've seen problems with non intel ssds in hp and sompermicro worksations.
compatability lists of gear like this are full of intel, micron ssds.
just my 2 cents.
04 Aug 2015   #9
Molds2014

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
How you would proceed would depend on your current partitioning scheme, which would be revealed by Windows Disk Management. So you might want to post a screen shot of that.
As you can see, there is not a lot of data on the disc at all :

Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Dell T7500-diskmgmt.png  
04 Aug 2015   #10
ignatzatsonic

As you can see, there is not a lot of data on the disc at all :
Yeah, but your data is all on C, which complicates things.

You could make an image of C, which would include data.

Or you could move data to another partition and then your images of C would not include data and would be smaller.

Either will work.

Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Dell T7500