Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: patch cleaner / installer folder

16 Sep 2015   #11
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Microsoft's Disk Cleanup tool

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
It's the only detection and doesn't free up much space.
Have you used Microsoft's Disk Cleanup tool in the past?
Yes I've used it with these settings:
patch cleaner / installer folder-disk-cleanup-settings.jpg
I'm pretty sure those settings clean up WINSXS as intended by Microsoft. Running with those settings does seem to miss that orphaned file.

Also I use Microsoft's own Windows Installer Cleanup on rare occasions. Interestingly, Patch Cleaner makes it's way onto the list:
patch cleaner / installer folder-windows-installer-clean-up.jpg





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Sep 2015   #12
jcrawfor74

Windows 10 64-bit
 
 
PatchCleaner clean up results

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
It's the only detection and doesn't free up much space.
On a clean machine there is not much to clean up so yes, it doesn't clean up much space

On some of my development computers, the best results I got was 15GB.

After a recent set of Microsoft windows updates, again on a computer I use for software development, it found and cleaned up just over 1GB, (this was a computer that I had cleaned a few months earlier).

Right now on my Laptop with Windows 10 - 1.2GB

patch cleaner / installer folder-patchcleaner_windows10.png

Check out a few of the happy users who have used it and provided feedback on other sites, who are getting between 10 and 15 Gb reduction in the installer directory size.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-d...taller-folder/

How can I to free up drive space from the Windows installer folder without killing Windows 8.1? - Super User

So I would say give it a run on a computer with a large c:\windows\Installer directory, you might get better results. Also try running it after one of those large blocks of windows updates.

Cheers


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2015   #13
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jcrawfor74 View Post

Check out a few of the happy users who have used it and provided feedback on other sites, who are getting between 10 and 15 Gb reduction in the installer directory size.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-d...taller-folder/

How can I to free up drive space from the Windows installer folder without killing Windows 8.1? - Super User

So I would say give it a run on a computer with a large c:\windows\Installer directory, you might get better results. Also try running it after one of those large blocks of windows updates.

Cheers
I will do as you say and try running Patch Cleaner after next months batch of Windows Updates. All I was really saying in my earlier post was that it didn't find much to remove but obviously that may not be the case for other users. It certainly didn't do any harm! I think the concern shown by other members here is what would happen if it removed the installer (msi) for a currently installed program but there were no such issues when running it on my machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2015   #14
menace97

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

I have used PatchCleaner with fantastic results. It is an excellent utility! Remember, as it is suggested when you use the application, deleting (as with anything done on a PC, is not always the best thing to do) is one option, but MOVE is the ideal choice of the two. Browse and relocate the "move" location to a specific backup hard drive or partition perhaps. That way, if anything should go wrong, you can always simply return the file in question to the original location and done! I have never had any program/application pop-up and ask for any of these lingering files in approximately 6 months.

Thanks jcrawfor74 for your fantastic utility!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2015   #15
louis14

windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
patchcleaner

dear menace97,
I'm glad you succeeded!
Thanks for you info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2016   #16
Guinan

Windows7Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jcrawfor74 View Post

Hi, I am the guy who wrote PatchCleaner. I first released back in June 2015 and after 12,000+ downloads I have not had a single person complain that it has broken their computer.

.................

Hi jcrawfor74!

My Installer is 24G at present , so I desperately neeed to restore some of that space. I followed your link and downloaded the file, notwithstanding Eset's violent protests. What I'm left with is a "PatchCleaner_1.4.2.0[1]" file without an extension! Either possibly Eset is trying to be "helpfull", or it was designed this way and I'm supposed to add the extension myself, in which case I would like to know what extension to use.

I would be eternaly grateful for your help (or anyone else's for that matter) to get me some "breathing space" on my - way too small - HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2016   #17
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Guinan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jcrawfor74 View Post

Hi, I am the guy who wrote PatchCleaner. I first released back in June 2015 and after 12,000+ downloads I have not had a single person complain that it has broken their computer.

.................

Hi jcrawfor74!

My Installer is 24G at present , so I desperately neeed to restore some of that space. I followed your link and downloaded the file, notwithstanding Eset's violent protests. What I'm left with is a "PatchCleaner_1.4.2.0[1]" file without an extension! Either possibly Eset is trying to be "helpfull", or it was designed this way and I'm supposed to add the extension myself, in which case I would like to know what extension to use.

I would be eternaly grateful for your help (or anyone else's for that matter) to get me some "breathing space" on my - way too small - HD.
It is an .exe,

patch cleaner / installer folder-2016-07-11_20h58_16.png

You can also unpack it with 7-zip and run the .msi inside,

Quote:
Support
Installation Issues
Some people have encountered some installaton challenges when attempting to install. If you hit problems then I suggest you try the following.

The installer that you download from the website is a self extracting 7z archive created as per my blog post (How to make a self extracting archive runs your setup.exe, 7zip -sfx).

So you can actually open the .exe file with 7Zip and extract the files (setup.exe and PatchCleaner.msi).

I would then try running the PatchCleaner.msi file directly.
PatchCleaner - safely clean your windows installer directory | homedev - software development out of the box


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2016   #18
Guinan

Windows7Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post

It is an .exe,

Attachment 389378

You can also unpack it with 7-zip and run the .msi inside,

Quote:
Support
Installation Issues
Some people have encountered some installaton challenges when attempting to install. If you hit problems then I suggest you try the following.

The installer that you download from the website is a self extracting 7z archive created as per my blog post (How to make a self extracting archive runs your setup.exe, 7zip -sfx).

So you can actually open the .exe file with 7Zip and extract the files (setup.exe and PatchCleaner.msi).

I would then try running the PatchCleaner.msi file directly.
PatchCleaner - safely clean your windows installer directory | homedev - software development out of the box
@ derekimo:
Thanks for your very quick reply! Also thanks for a look into your "kitchen", but I'm afraid that's waaay over my head... I'm a 68 year old grandma who's trying to keep up with the savy crowd LOL. So please take my hand here and show me the way.

I don't have 7zip, would rar do the trick? And am I to use it on the file without extension that I already downloaded, or should I download the one you posted above and unzip that?

Am I correct in assuming that to instal I don't use the .exe, but rather run the .msi instead?

I don't mean to sound dense, but I've never encountered this method before.

Thank you for your patience
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2016   #19
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

You're welcome, I was just pointing out the options for you but I will unpack it for you so you can just use the .msi file.

PatchCleaner.zip

I'm sure you can also do it with WinRAR, I just don't have it installed but they are quite similar.

Regarding the install, yes, I would just unzip the file above and run the .msi file as mentioned in the part I quoted from the support.

There is also a setup.exe in the unpacked download, I would just go with the .msi file though.

Hope that doesn't confuse you and clears things up.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2016   #20
Guinan

Windows7Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
You're welcome, I was just pointing out the options for you but I will unpack it for you so you can just use the .msi file.

Attachment 389435

I'm sure you can also do it with WinRAR, I just don't have it installed but they are quite similar.

Regarding the install, yes, I would just unzip the file above and run the .msi file as mentioned in the part I quoted from the support.

There is also a setup.exe in the unpacked download, I would just go with the .msi file though.

Hope that doesn't confuse you and clears things up.
Poor PatchCleaner nearly burst a vein collecting all my orphaned files, but I'm now down from 27Gb to 7Gb!! I'll have to let it recuperate some before I use it again LOL.

Many many thanks to jcrawford and yourself for all your help. If I ever encounter probs with W7 again, I'll know where to come for help. Great board and wonderful people!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 patch cleaner / installer folder




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
missing C:\Windows\Installer folder
I first noticed it when icons for my MS office 2007 documents became the generic ones. I tried to change the icon using the software Types, where it shows that the icon files are directed to the Windows\Installer folder, WHICH IS MISSING from my computer. I can't even reinstall MS Office as the...
Software
Need a straight answer for installer folder mayhem
Hello, My coworker gave me her Dell Inspirion 1464 laptop running 7 Home Premium, version 6.1.7600 Build 7600. She complains about running out of space, and after a quick disk inventory it appear as though 60% of the hard drive is being eaten by these cancerous "winsxs" and ".dll" files,...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows Installer Patch removal?
Greetings: I have 2 unusual file folders at the root of my C:\ drive. The names of both are alphanumeric gibberish, like: af216ca03f1720edf1e7a15b650cbd63 One of the items contained therein is identified as a "Windows Installer Patch". There are numerous subfolders labeled "1042"...
Installation & Setup
12GB of data in my \windows\installer folder
Hello, I use Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. I've realized that my \windows\installer folder is getting bigger and bigger: 12 GB of data!!! Can I reclaim this space? If yes, which is the correct procedure? Best regards Alessandro
General Discussion
How do you clean out the C:\Windows\Installer folder?
Hi, My C:\Windows\Installer folder has been getting out of hand, And i wanted to clean it out. However, after reading a few tutorials and trying msizap.exe it appears that those methods are not applicable to windows 7. Any idea on how?
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App