Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: User account disappeared


13 Nov 2009   #1

 
User account disappeared

Yikes all I was trying to do was view hidden files. Now my name under "Users" has been replaced by "Public" and all my documents and data have disappeared. I have no System Restore because I am no longer listed; yet I am there for logging in and my profile is listed in the control panel under User accounts.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Nov 2009   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

To understand what happened, did you by accident move your user folder?

Are you still logged in as that user? Can you try to right click in the Explorer window, and select undo?

Best regards,

zx81
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanP View Post
Yikes all I was trying to do was view hidden files. Now my name under "Users" has been replaced by "Public" and all my documents and data have disappeared. I have no System Restore because I am no longer listed; yet I am there for logging in and my profile is listed in the control panel under User accounts.
I had this happen and I have no clue why...can you click the Documents button in the start menu and go to your documents?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Nov 2009   #4

 

I was looking into activating a quick launch tool bar. I don't remember it all but it started by going into Users\Username\ a bunch of stuff that wasn't showing so I figured I'd view hidden files. I was asked if apply to all sub folders; I answered yes and then my username was replaced with public and public documents etc. I have done a few reboots into administrator and back to myself so their is no undo or restore for either accounts.
My settings are still their as are my bookmarks in Firefox so I haven't lost everything and my docs are backed up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

AllanP,

Did you by any change create a system image by using Backup & Restore?
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
If so, you could restore the system image:
System Image Recovery

Best regards,

zx81
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanP View Post
Yikes all I was trying to do was view hidden files. Now my name under "Users" has been replaced by "Public" and all my documents and data have disappeared. I have no System Restore because I am no longer listed; yet I am there for logging in and my profile is listed in the control panel under User accounts.
I had this happen and I have no clue why...can you click the Documents button in the start menu and go to your documents?
No my docs are nowhere to be found.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #7

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
AllanP,

Did you by any change create a system image by using Backup & Restore?
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
If so, you could restore the system image:
System Image Recovery

Best regards,

zx81
No I had just gone through shrinking and re partitioning. Any restores would have been done under my profile which isn't showing under users.
Well off to bed. Maybe solved by morning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #8

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanP View Post
I was looking into activating a quick launch tool bar. I don't remember it all but it started by going into Users\Username\ a bunch of stuff that wasn't showing so I figured I'd view hidden files.
That question you saw isn't consistent with showing hidden files.
You don't get that question.

What I think you did is hide your userfolder, that's why it asked to apply it to all subfolders.

What you need to do:

In the explorer on the the left side of the bar you see Organize.

Click that and chose map and search options.

There you will see a list of items.

Uncheck "hide system files"

and check "show hidden files and folders"

click apply or ok.

Now I believe you'll see your userfolder again.

Check back here to tell us if that is the case or not.

greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

I did this this morning inadvertantly, what you've actually done is hid all your folders instead of being able to "view hidden files and folders". You need to go to each folder under Computer/then your user name on the left hand side of the screen and unhide them...it's a pain in the posterior.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #10

 

Thank you both. It's been a while and I chose to restore my laptop to original config and went from there.

Regards, Allan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 User account disappeared




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33