Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop Shuts Down Without Warning After Half An Our of Minecraft

25 Oct 2015   #1
Alpha Hedge

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Laptop Shuts Down Without Warning After Half An Our of Minecraft

So, this is most likely because it's over heating or something, I have a bad laptop, but after probably about 30 or 45 minutes of playing Minecraft, my computer just completely shuts off without warning. Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and If possible, any solutions? Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Oct 2015   #2
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alpha Hedge View Post
So, this is most likely because it's over heating or something, I have a bad laptop, but after probably about 30 or 45 minutes of playing Minecraft, my computer just completely shuts off without warning. Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and If possible, any solutions? Thanks
There are a few things that could cause this, but it does sound like an overheating issue.

Have you checked the CPU fan to see if it's working okay?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #3
Alpha Hedge

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alpha Hedge View Post
So, this is most likely because it's over heating or something, I have a bad laptop, but after probably about 30 or 45 minutes of playing Minecraft, my computer just completely shuts off without warning. Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and If possible, any solutions? Thanks
There are a few things that could cause this, but it does sound like an overheating issue.

Have you checked the CPU fan to see if it's working okay?
How exactly would I do that ? I'm kinda new to this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Oct 2015   #4
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alpha Hedge View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alpha Hedge View Post
So, this is most likely because it's over heating or something, I have a bad laptop, but after probably about 30 or 45 minutes of playing Minecraft, my computer just completely shuts off without warning. Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and If possible, any solutions? Thanks
There are a few things that could cause this, but it does sound like an overheating issue.

Have you checked the CPU fan to see if it's working okay?
How exactly would I do that ? I'm kinda new to this.
There are a couple of utilities you can use to check.

CPU-Z can check your CPU temp:
CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

HWMonitor can check your fan speed:
HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

You could run both of these while running Minecraft and take a screenshot and post it here so we can take a look at it.

Edit: I think you can just run HWMonitor and that will display the temps too. Ignore CPU-Z.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #5
Alpha Hedge

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alpha Hedge View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post

There are a few things that could cause this, but it does sound like an overheating issue.

Have you checked the CPU fan to see if it's working okay?
How exactly would I do that ? I'm kinda new to this.
There are a couple of utilities you can use to check.

CPU-Z can check your CPU temp:
CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

HWMonitor can check your fan speed:
HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

You could run both of these while running Minecraft and take a screenshot and post it here so we can take a look at it.

Edit: I think you can just run HWMonitor and that will display the temps too. Ignore CPU-Z.
As soon as Minecraft started I heard my CPU fan running at full speed btw. Screenshot by Lightshot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #6
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Can't see the actual fan display on that, but if your fan sounds like it's going crazy then it's more than likely an overheating issue.

How old is the laptop? Can you post some specs? How much RAM do you have installed? Is it running a lot of programs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #7
Alpha Hedge

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Can't see the actual fan display on that, but if your fan sounds like it's going crazy then it's more than likely an overheating issue.

How old is the laptop? Can you post some specs? How much RAM do you have installed? Is it running a lot of programs?
I don't know exactly how old it is, I got it used. Technically I've had it for 1 year, I got it September 2014. I have specs on my profile page, it's the most I could find. 4GB ram. No programs besides Minecraft running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #8
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

I'm pretty sure it is overheating. Not sure if it's the CPU or the GPU. You could try opening it and blowing out the CPU fan and heatsink with a can of compressed air.

There are loads of videos on YouTube like this that can help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5JobmW-PQ

Other than that, if it's overheating and you're sure you don't have any viruses or malware then maybe gaming is just too intensive for that laptop.
Is it blue screening before shutdown or just shutting down? Is it on charge when it's shutting down or battery?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #9
Alpha Hedge

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
I'm pretty sure it is overheating. Not sure if it's the CPU or the GPU. You could try opening it and blowing out the CPU fan and heatsink with a can of compressed air.

There are loads of videos on YouTube like this that can help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5JobmW-PQ

Other than that, if it's overheating and you're sure you don't have any viruses or malware then maybe gaming is just too intensive for that laptop.
Is it blue screening before shutdown or just shutting down. Is it on charge when it's shutting down or battery?
No blue screen, just *poof*, instant shut down. Doesn't even restart. It's on charge. My laptop probably isn't good for gaming, it's a bad one and I'm looking to get it replaced hopefully.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2015   #10
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alpha Hedge View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
I'm pretty sure it is overheating. Not sure if it's the CPU or the GPU. You could try opening it and blowing out the CPU fan and heatsink with a can of compressed air.

There are loads of videos on YouTube like this that can help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5JobmW-PQ

Other than that, if it's overheating and you're sure you don't have any viruses or malware then maybe gaming is just too intensive for that laptop.
Is it blue screening before shutdown or just shutting down. Is it on charge when it's shutting down or battery?
No blue screen, just *poof*, instant shut down. Doesn't even restart. It's on charge. My laptop probably isn't good for gaming, it's a bad one and I'm looking to get it replaced hopefully.
Well, I'm not really much of a gamer so I don't know a great deal about Minecraft. But it does sound like it could be a bit much to handle for that type of CPU/GPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop Shuts Down Without Warning After Half An Our of Minecraft




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer shuts down randomly W/O warning User32 event ID 1074.
I've got a dell DT connected to our domain thats rebooting randomly, after taking a look in the event log I found the following: The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (BGR-PLAY-DT-06) has initiated the restart of computer BGR-PLAY-DT-06 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the...
Performance & Maintenance
Laptop randomly shuts off with no warning. Please help!
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, Toshiba Satellite A665 series Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 3890 Mb Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 463566 MB, Free -...
General Discussion
Laptop shuts down without warning
hi i have a sony vaio vgn nw29gf laptop it is 2.5 years old the problem is that for the last 6 months it is shutting off without any warning that battery is low it doesnt give the bsod so dont go there it just shut down and when i restart i ahve to plug it in and then win7 says that windows...
Hardware & Devices
Computer Shuts off with no warning when playing a MMO
Hi, I just made this account because this problem has been frustrating me for quite a while. I had to stop playing LoL because of this problem and now recently, I have attempted to play SWTOR to no prevail. This laptop is fairly new (got it last Christmas). I will be playing the game for 5 minutes...
Gaming
Laptop still shuts down
I dont know what could be causing the problem, I thought it was overheating for it to randomly shut down (no blue screen instantly shuts off) I am using a program called "CoreTemp" to monitor the temperature of each core (4 cores) and 2 of them hit a maximum of 61C which is no where near hot how...
BSOD Help and Support
half life 2 runs really hott on my laptop why???
i got a dell inspiron 1545 dual core 2.0ghz intel x4500 mhd graphics. i play fallout new vegas and it never gets hott. but i play a stupid old computer game and it gets sooo hott after like 5 minutes of playin the game. why is this? i definately over qualify the needs for half life 2. help plz
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App