Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it

14 Nov 2015   #171
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
If you believe that, then you will believe anything
Read the EULA the next time you have an hour or three. MSpy admits they are uploading your data from your computer and you have to agree to it to use Win 10. They claim they are only going to use it to ferret out problems (and that's probably true) but what is to keep hackers, governments, etc. from accessing that data?
Then by definition it isn't theft.
By legal definition it isn't theft. Morally is another story. And no matter what definition you want to play semantics with, it is still invasive, a violation of one's privacy, and puts one's data at increased risk for being stolen since MSpy is a far more likely target for hackers and government spying than an individual computer system.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Nov 2015   #172
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

I can see I am going to be busy again with one of my machines. Not booted it for a week or so and just did it to run updates and this is what I find. Not quite as in your face as the last time but never the less inexperienced users would not know how to get out of this mess.


Attached Thumbnails
Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it-2015-11-14-18_11_15-greenshot.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #173
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

I don't understand this. I have all the patches listed in the document removed from the machine and also group policy set to never download or notify me of updates to Windows 10 yet here it is and I have no idea how to remove the upgrade to TEN. Microsoft this is crazy. Leave my Windows 7 and my machines alone. They are my machines and not yours.

Download this update and then alter group policy as set in the document is the only way to get rid of this now.
I am very angry that I have to mess about so much just to keep Virus 10 off of my machine. I have never had to mess with a virus this hard. 10 is malware, I did not ask for it and I do not want it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351


Attached Thumbnails
Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it-2015-11-14-18_50_04-greenshot.png  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Remove the updates listed under the OS to prevent Windows 10 upgrade.doc (26.0 KB, 4 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Nov 2015   #174
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Indianatone here is what I have hidden.

What bugs me, is I multiple boot between operating systems, I really don't need two windows 10 operating systems.


Attached Thumbnails
Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it-hiddenup.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #175
Painter

W7Pro/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
I don't understand this. I have all the patches listed in the document removed from the machine and also group policy set to never download or notify me of updates to Windows 10 yet here it is and I have no idea how to remove the upgrade to TEN. Microsoft this is crazy. Leave my Windows 7 and my machines alone. They are my machines and not yours.
That is really weird. You checked the Widows Installed list and KB3035583 is definitely not there ?

I have read that the registry can get reset by MS for the upgrade - it is still as you set it?

Microsoft Admits It Tried to Install Windows 10 on Windows 7/8 Without Users Knowing About It - Softpedia

W10 installs in the background - but all fixed now. Another mistake they knew nothing about!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #176
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Meh!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
As I said, I don't hate 10, I can see the appeal. But for me... No thanks, I'm perfectly happy with 7. It does everything I need and more.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
My number one issue with Win 10 is that I cannot find a single thing (from an actual work/audio workflow perspective) that warrants the hassle of an upgrade. There is not a feature there that has interest to me.
Agreed.
IMO, it's not as good as W7 or XP.

Here is my Windows OS ranking:
  1. W7 - only has some minor annoyances
  2. XP - once I swapped to FF from IE6 it only had some minor annoyances
  3. W10 - more annoying than W7 or XP
  4. Vista - more annoying than W7 or XP
  5. W98 - spent a lot of time fixing malware issues
  6. W8 series - most annoying version(s) of Windows

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
So, an update that is optional, (based on whether you are running a HP laptop or not), is sent out to all systems, what's wrong with that?

I'm sure if Microsoft checked to see what exact laptop you are using in order to only send to those using applicable laptops, we would not be inundated by irate users whining about another invasion of privacy, either users want to decide what is installed on their system or not.
If it just downloads all updates anyway, why does Windows Update spend 5 - 10 minutes churning before it starts downloading the Patch Tuesday updates?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Then by definition it isn't theft.
They are only copying it so it isn't theft?
Tell that to the BSAA, MPAA, RIAA, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #177
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Painter View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
I don't understand this. I have all the patches listed in the document removed from the machine and also group policy set to never download or notify me of updates to Windows 10 yet here it is and I have no idea how to remove the upgrade to TEN. Microsoft this is crazy. Leave my Windows 7 and my machines alone. They are my machines and not yours.
That is really weird. You checked the Widows Installed list and KB3035583 is definitely not there ?

I have read that the registry can get reset by MS for the upgrade - it is still as you set it?

Microsoft Admits It Tried to Install Windows 10 on Windows 7/8 Without Users Knowing About It - Softpedia

W10 installs in the background - but all fixed now. Another mistake they knew nothing about!
None of the updates listed in my document are on any of my machines. The registry setting was over ridden for the second time. This time I have applied the update 3065987
and the group policy setting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #178
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep
Might just show the best way to not upgrade is to catch all the updates before they install :/

If I hadn't just done a install on my new build and still did not or have not gotten any signs of win-10 being offered as you have repeatedly been offered I wouldn't of believed it

Still no sign on my 6-7 y.o. Acer either which again none of the 10 updates ever installed so they were never removed
You can never rule out a corrupt user account
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #179
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yep
Might just show the best way to not upgrade is to catch all the updates before they install :/

If I hadn't just done a install on my new build and still did not or have not gotten any signs of win-10 being offered as you have repeatedly been offered I wouldn't of believed it

Still no sign on my 6-7 y.o. Acer either which again none of the 10 updates ever installed so they were never removed
You can never rule out a corrupt user account
It is a different OS this time than the last time so user account is not it I'm afraid. One thing is for sure everyone who wants to keep 7 on their machine has to be EXTREMELY VIGILANT to say the least. Take regular back ups and research every patch. I am seriously considering setting updates to off and check manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2015   #180
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

We've already went through the settings

Manually checking for updates well that note on the bottom of the settings page should be noticed
I do not manually check for updates they come or not I'm not worried about that
And yes they do show up by themselves.

Must be all those v-m's M$ knows you want it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Sweetens 'Buy a New PC' Deal for Windows XP Users with $100
Read more Microsoft Sweetens 'Buy a New PC' Deal for Windows XP Users with $100 Savings | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
News
Microsoft extends date for OEM Windows 7 preloads for business users
Read more at: Microsoft extends date for OEM preloads of Windows 7 for business users | ZDNet
News
Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk 'zero day forever'
Read more at: Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk 'zero day forever' | ZDNet
News
Microsoft's Windows 8.1: When will users get the final bit
Read more at: Microsoft's Windows 8.1: When will users get the final bits? | ZDNet
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App