Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it

15 Apr 2016   #261
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post

If they decide one day that your install key is no longer valid - and a new install of Windows 7 suddenly will not activate - there is little you can do about that.

VP
Vp,
I am almost sure that would be illegal in the U.S. and possibly other countries. Yes, you lave a license to use it. However, the purchasers intent was to buy legal windows 7 sp1 retail disk or legal windows 7 sp1 oem device. If an operating system is going to expire, you are to be notified before purchasing the item(s). Disclaimer-I am not a lawyer.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Apr 2016   #262
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:

Microsoft does not seem to understand the principle of ownership
Here is where you are wrong. You don't own Windows or a version of it. Only Microsoft owns Windows. You only pay for their permission to use it.

If you wanted to own Windows, you would have to buy Microsoft. Look at their stock value and compare that to your bank account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2016   #263
jadinolf

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:

Microsoft does not seem to understand the principle of ownership
Here is where you are wrong. You don't own Windows or a version of it. Only Microsoft owns Windows. You only pay for their permission to use it.

If you wanted to own Windows, you would have to buy Microsoft. Look at their stock value and compare that to your bank account.
I wonder how much it would cost me to buy it?

Let me check my wallet.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2016   #264
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

I did a survey from Microsoft the other day. All sorts of questions about how I feel about Microsoft. For every question where I was allowed to type something in, I placed the words:

"I hate that Windows 10 is being rammed down my throat."

I left my email address at the end of it. I wonder if a representative will contact me? :lol:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2016   #265
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Looks like quite a few people not to happy with the latest round of win-10 updates
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-b5c5a69be530
Not surprising at all...
Real solution -> Disable WU service completely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2016   #266
Vocalpoint

Windows 7 Professional SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
However, the purchasers intent was to buy legal windows 7 sp1 retail disk or legal windows 7 sp1 oem device. If an operating system is going to expire, you are to be notified before purchasing the item(s).
Understood - they "should" notify you. - they will not take the time to notify you with some official letter in which you can review at your leisure. There is no option to say No - forever.

I agree - as a licensed Windows 7 user - I "should" be able to use my purchased license uninterrupted until the end of time.

But MS - does not care to ask me, inform me or do anything to allow me to continue using my license without my mounting of a non-stop campaign here at the house to ensure that Windows 10 does not slip onto any machine via the side door undetected and take out a perfectly good Windows 7 install

VP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2016   #267
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

VP,
My understanding of U.S. Law (I am not a lawyer) is they can't legally de-activate your windows 7 or cause your system not to be activated as long as your purchase was legal. However, they can stop updates at anytime, I think that in the EULU.

It is not as simple as notification, they would have to pay you money for the os disk or the computer you purchased with windows 7 pre-installed.

My windows 7 oem slp can not be deactivated unless they want to deactivate people who have upgrade to 10. Clarification, I mean those people who upgraded from windows 7 oem slp to windows 10.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2016   #268
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
My Call

I will use 7 as long as I want or when MS prevents it. I can always go to Linux. Which has it's advantages.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2016   #269
Seffrid

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
VP,
My understanding of U.S. Law (I am not a lawyer) is they can't legally de-activate your windows 7 or cause your system not to be activated as long as your purchase was legal. However, they can stop updates at anytime, I think that in the EULU.

It is not as simple as notification, they would have to pay you money for the os disk or the computer you purchased with windows 7 pre-installed.

My windows 7 oem slp can not be deactivated unless they want to deactivate people who have upgrade to 10.
Nor can any OS be deactivated unless the user connects to the internet...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2016   #270
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
VP,


My windows 7 oem slp can not be deactivated unless they want to deactivate people who have upgrade to 10. Clarification, I mean those people who upgraded from windows 7 oem slp to windows 10.
Microsoft has always deactivated the Licence of all operating systems that are upgraded to a later version, this is to ensure that you cannot continue to use a licence that you have swapped for a upgraded licence
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Sweetens 'Buy a New PC' Deal for Windows XP Users with $100
Read more Microsoft Sweetens 'Buy a New PC' Deal for Windows XP Users with $100 Savings | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
News
Microsoft extends date for OEM Windows 7 preloads for business users
Read more at: Microsoft extends date for OEM preloads of Windows 7 for business users | ZDNet
News
Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk 'zero day forever'
Read more at: Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk 'zero day forever' | ZDNet
News
Microsoft's Windows 8.1: When will users get the final bit
Read more at: Microsoft's Windows 8.1: When will users get the final bits? | ZDNet
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App