Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to revert to Windows 7 from 10 after 30 days...

28 Nov 2015   #1
musicmaestro

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
How to revert to Windows 7 from 10 after 30 days...

A while back, I purchased a new Lenovo P580 laptop that came loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium and has the OneKey recovery button. Here is a link to spec's if needed: Discounted Prices Lenovo IdeaPad P580 Laptop PC i7 -3520M 2.9GHz 15.6" 8GB 750GB HDMI BT NVIDIA GT 630M Only @ Laptop Best Offers

Fast forward... I just bought a second identical Lenovo P580, same processor, memory, graphics, everything... BUT this one is used and the previous owner upgraded it to Windows 10 more than 30 days ago. I need them to be identical since I use them for DJ purposes. Is there a way for me to copy the files needed from my original laptop to this upgraded one so I can revert back to Windows 7? Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Nov 2015   #2
Baddog22556

Windows 7
 
 

Sure. Use an external drive and make a backup ISO image of the W7 laptop and then recover it to the
other W10 laptop. I use the free Acronis True Image as I have Western Digital drive in the chain.
Seagate also has Acronis True Image Free Edition if a seagate drive is in the chain somewhere.
There are many other free ISO Image programs, some free and some not, available. All have the
capability to make a bootable program startup CD. Acronis will erase everything on the W10 system
before restoring all your W7 partitions. I backup once a week and, believe me, it comes in handy as
I play with and experiment on my sys all the time with sometimes disastrous results but restored in
less than 30 minutes.
Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2015   #3
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Baddog22556 View Post
Sure. Use an external drive and make a backup ISO image of the W7 laptop and then recover it to the
other W10 laptop. I use the free Acronis True Image as I have Western Digital drive in the chain.
Seagate also has Acronis True Image Free Edition if a seagate drive is in the chain somewhere.
There are many other free ISO Image programs, some free and some not, available. All have the
capability to make a bootable program startup CD. Acronis will erase everything on the W10 system
before restoring all your W7 partitions. I backup once a week and, believe me, it comes in handy as
I play with and experiment on my sys all the time with sometimes disastrous results but restored in
less than 30 minutes.
Good luck.
While that will work, the OP is still going to have to reactivate Win 7 with the COA key on the bottom of the new laptop. The OP will have to use the System tab in Control Panel to change the product key to the new laptop's key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Nov 2015   #4
musicmaestro

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Thanks for the info. I would definitely need to change the COA key after going back to 7. Will it automatically enter the number from my old laptop? If so, I definitely want to enter the proper number. IF you could walk me through it I'd appreciate it. Sorry, newby here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2015   #5
Baddog22556

Windows 7
 
 

Technically, what I said will work as I've done it. I think Mellon Head is speaking of legalities.
Please search on "Certificate of Authenticity" and its legal usage and ramifications.
I do not advocate doing anything illegal.

Microsoft Software License Terms

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\Licenses\_Default\"choose your running edition" like HomeBasic
and open license.rtf
Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2015   #6
musicmaestro

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Thanks for the info. I would change it for sure. I Google'd and found this easy tute: How To Change the Windows 7 Product Key [Easy, 10 Min]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2015   #7
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musicmaestro View Post
Thanks for the info. I would definitely need to change the COA key after going back to 7. Will it automatically enter the number from my old laptop? If so, I definitely want to enter the proper number. IF you could walk me through it I'd appreciate it. Sorry, newby here.
Your new laptop probably still has the COA key sticker on the bottom of it. That is the license key that you enter into the new laptop after you do BadDog's cloning procedure.

And I was speaking of legalities. The biggest reason that you want to change the product key on your new laptop right away is so that you don't have the same key from your old laptop on two different machines. MS could deactivate both of your machine's copies of Windows if you don't change the new one.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musicmaestro View Post
Thanks for the info. I would change it for sure. I Google'd and found this easy tute: How To Change the Windows 7 Product Key [Easy, 10 Min]
That is a good explanation of what I meant.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2015   #8
musicmaestro

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I used OneKey on my original Lenovo laptop to create a bootable disc; three discs to be exact. I then ran it in the new laptop and once Windows 7 was up and running, I did the following to change my Product Key.

Went to Start, typed slui.exe 3 in the search box and pressed enter. Then I put in the new laptop's original key from the sticker on the bottom and hit verify. I didn't connect to the internet till that stage just to be safe.

Now all is good! Thanks for the help everyone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2015   #9
Baddog22556

Windows 7
 
 

Microsoft will continue to make it harder as starting with
Windows 8 PCs now embed their product keys in the BIOS.
With Microsoft completely running the show my next computer
will have NO OS installed and I'll install Linux, maybe Ubuntu.
Many open-source versions can be setup to mimic any Windows OS.
Sorry but this is just the next evolution of this thread and not OT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2015   #10
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musicmaestro View Post
I used OneKey on my original Lenovo laptop to create a bootable disc; three discs to be exact. I then ran it in the new laptop and once Windows 7 was up and running, I did the following to change my Product Key.

Went to Start, typed slui.exe 3 in the search box and pressed enter. Then I put in the new laptop's original key from the sticker on the bottom and hit verify. I didn't connect to the internet till that stage just to be safe.

Now all is good! Thanks for the help everyone!
Glad you got it fixed up. Please mark the thread as solved if your issue is complete.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to revert to Windows 7 from 10 after 30 days...




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help Please- Windows 7 boot options - how to revert
I recently set my system to boot from my USB stick to boot first. I now no longer need the facility but my boot up still asks which option I should boot from..USB or Windows 7...How can I stop this Please
General Discussion
Windows 8 anyway good and can I revert back?
Would you guys who have got Windows 8 recommend it? I can upgrade for 25. I currently have Win 7 Ultimate. If I did not like Windows 8 could could I re-install Windows 7 Ultimate (I have the full retail disc)? I usually do programming and play computer games that's it. The games are my worry...
General Discussion
Two Windows 7 on one HD; need to revert and repair`
I am having issues with the Windows and McAfee Firewall. I've tried every solution I could find in the forums without success. I decided to "repair" 7. I was familiar with XP "Repair" but didn't see such in 7. This all started with a corrupted file in Quicken and then a folder I had on my...
General Discussion
Revert back to Windows 7 Professional
I have Win 7 Home Premium installed and I want to upgrade to Professional. Can I revert back to Home Premium?
General Discussion
Windows 7 Image Thumbnails Revert
I altered some pictures using Windows Live Photo Gallery. The thumbnails in Explorer showed up fine. I used Disk Cleanup, which reset the thumbnails, but strangely to the original image (see image1 and the highlighted pic) - as you will see, the highlighted pic is colour, but the small preview...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App