Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Image Works Otiplex 780 But Not 380

02 Dec 2015   #1
Yardley

Ultimate x64
 
 
Windows Image Works Otiplex 780 But Not 380

Hi all, I have a Windows 7 image that I've been using on my Dell Otiplex 755 SFF's for a while and more recently on a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF and Otiplex 780 SFF. It works across all of those models but I tried it on a Dell Optiplex 380 SFF and it crashes as soon as it gets to the Windows boot screen. Any idea as to why this is happening?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2015   #2
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
Hi all, I have a Windows 7 image that I've been using on my Dell Otiplex 755 SFF's for a while and more recently on a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF and Otiplex 780 SFF. It works across all of those models but I tried it on a Dell Optiplex 380 SFF and it crashes as soon as it gets to the Windows boot screen. Any idea as to why this is happening?
YES....If you are using the same image on multiple computers it won't work. The drivers are different in each computer which would make it crash. This is also illegal in that each computer must have its own Product Key and not use the same one for multiple PC's, even if it worked. We are not allowed to help anyone who is using Windows illegally. If I have misunderstood your situation, please tell me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2015   #3
Yardley

Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
Hi all, I have a Windows 7 image that I've been using on my Dell Otiplex 755 SFF's for a while and more recently on a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF and Otiplex 780 SFF. It works across all of those models but I tried it on a Dell Optiplex 380 SFF and it crashes as soon as it gets to the Windows boot screen. Any idea as to why this is happening?
YES....If you are using the same image on multiple computers it won't work. The drivers are different in each computer which would make it crash. This is also illegal in that each computer must have its own Product Key and not use the same one for multiple PC's, even if it worked. We are not allowed to help anyone who is using Windows illegally. If I have misunderstood your situation, please tell me.
What I want to say is that I use it on each model at a time, I get them for free so whenever I get a better model I switch to that one and transfer the drive over. I've been able to transfer the drive over from a 755 to a 760 to a 780 without any issues, Windows simply installs all of the correct drivers and reboots. With the 380 I wasn't able to do this as it just reboots a few seconds after the Windows boot screen appears.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2015   #4
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
Hi all, I have a Windows 7 image that I've been using on my Dell Otiplex 755 SFF's for a while and more recently on a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF and Otiplex 780 SFF. It works across all of those models but I tried it on a Dell Optiplex 380 SFF and it crashes as soon as it gets to the Windows boot screen. Any idea as to why this is happening?
YES....If you are using the same image on multiple computers it won't work. The drivers are different in each computer which would make it crash. This is also illegal in that each computer must have its own Product Key and not use the same one for multiple PC's, even if it worked. We are not allowed to help anyone who is using Windows illegally. If I have misunderstood your situation, please tell me.
What I want to say is that I use it on each model at a time, I get them for free so whenever I get a better model I switch to that one and transfer the drive over. I've been able to transfer the drive over from a 755 to a 760 to a 780 without any issues, Windows simply installs all of the correct drivers and reboots. With the 380 I wasn't able to do this as it just reboots a few seconds after the Windows boot screen appears.
Just curious why you are moving the OS. Didn't all of your Dell's come with Win 7 installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2015   #5
Yardley

Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post

YES....If you are using the same image on multiple computers it won't work. The drivers are different in each computer which would make it crash. This is also illegal in that each computer must have its own Product Key and not use the same one for multiple PC's, even if it worked. We are not allowed to help anyone who is using Windows illegally. If I have misunderstood your situation, please tell me.
What I want to say is that I use it on each model at a time, I get them for free so whenever I get a better model I switch to that one and transfer the drive over. I've been able to transfer the drive over from a 755 to a 760 to a 780 without any issues, Windows simply installs all of the correct drivers and reboots. With the 380 I wasn't able to do this as it just reboots a few seconds after the Windows boot screen appears.
Just curious why you are moving the OS. Didn't all of your Dell's come with Win 7 installed?
They don't come with drive, like I said I get them for free mostly when offices upgrade to newer models.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2015   #6
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

You are breaking the Microsoft rules of sale by switching OS from one computer to the other unless you purchased the full retail Windows 7 disc which are about $300. You can't switch an OEM Win 7 between computers. You should not want to because you are going to have problems making it work as you are.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Image Works Otiplex 780 But Not 380




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Acronis True Image (and Macrium, Windows Backup) won't create image
My system: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit C-drive is a 250GB Plextor SSD Acronis True Image 2011 Background: I setup a weekly scheduled disk image of my system drive (C:) that gets sent to an external HDD (4TB). This was working very well for months with incremental backups most of the time and a...
Backup and Restore
Universal System Restore CD/DVD image that works on all OS?
Is there a software that could do this?
Installation & Setup
Windows Image Recovery-Can't move forward after selecting Sys Image
I have a Dell XPS 17 laptop that has dual drives - c & d. The c drive crashed and was replaced by dell. We are now trying to do a system image recovery from the d drive. We are following How to do a System Image Recovery in Window7 from seven forums.com ...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image 10 Build 4942 works
Hi All, In case people were wondering, users of Acronis True Image 2010 can get around the 'blocked' software message which Windows 7 puts out (this version was the last build - 4942 and was last updated in 2007). To get it working, read the following post in the Acronis Forum at: ...
Backup and Restore
Restore System Image - Works Great
Well I needed to do a bit of messing around with some old hardware and drivers today. So I did a system image using the W7 option in Backup and restore. As it turned out I ended up having to do a restore of the system image, not that I was expecting anything else. :p Put it my repair disk booted up...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home 2009 - POS although it works
Hi all I loved the old SIMPLE interface of Workstation Echo -- really simple to use and on the HELP choice on the menu you could select ABOUT acronis true image and it would give you details like Build number, Licensed to xxxxx etc. The Interface in True Image Home makes the same mistakes as...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App