Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can not see user selection screen, but can log in.


14 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Can not see user selection screen, but can log in.

Greetings.

I am Mark and new to this forum.
When i boot up windows 7 my screen will go black, i can see my cursor and still log in by using my arrow keys and enter.
This is incredibly annoying, since i can not see which user i have selected
In TF2 i am a professional demolition man and soldier.
I have done a full scan with Malwarebytes anti malware and i CAN see the selection screen in safe mode, i also have Avira antivirus running constantly.

Please help me, help will be appreciated.

Thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TF2MarkP View Post
Greetings.

I am Mark and new to this forum.
When i boot up windows 7 my screen will go black, i can see my cursor and still log in by using my arrow keys and enter.
This is incredibly annoying, since i can not see which user i have selected
In TF2 i am a professional demolition man and soldier.
I have done a full scan with Malwarebytes anti malware and i CAN see the selection screen in safe mode, i also have Avira antivirus running constantly.

Please help me, help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
greetings and welcome

If you can see it in safe mode but not in a normal boot its a video driver. If you can tell us what vid card and 32bit or 64 we can helps you find the correct one

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

32 bit, i just installed the latest windows 7 video drivers from ATI.
No effect.
I also do not have any problem running 3D games or the areo (?) theme.
Problem started just today.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Nov 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TF2MarkP View Post
32 bit, i just installed the latest windows 7 video drivers from ATI
no effect
it worked just yesterday, ):
OK lets try boot iinto safe mode. type device manager in search. go to the display tab and check to see if your driver is there and if it has a yellow triangle on it.

If it is either not there or has a yellow triangle on it it isnt installed correctly.

Let us know the results

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TF2MarkP View Post
32 bit, i just installed the latest windows 7 video drivers from ATI
no effect
it worked just yesterday, ):
OK lets try boot iinto safe mode. type device manager in search. go to the display tab and check to see if your driver is there and if it has a yellow triangle on it.

If it is either not there or has a yellow triangle on it it isnt installed correctly.

Let us know the results

Ken J
No, i do not have to go into safe mode.
I am fully logged in, no problems.
Please read my first post.
And my second one too, perhaps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #6

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

Hello Mark,

Welcome to 7 Forums.

Can you log off and see the screen or not? How about a sys. restore. Info here if needed. System Restore

If that doesn't help, try a file scan SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Hope this helps.

Gary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garysgold View Post
Hello Mark,

Welcome to 7 Forums.

Can you log off and see the screen or not? How about a sys. restore. Info here if needed. System Restore

If that doesn't help, try a file scan SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Hope this helps.

Gary
Strangely enough i can see it when i log out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #8

Varied
 
 

Hi there,

I don't know if this will help you. I was setting up a Windows 7 system (Packard Bell), for a family relative & have experienced a similar problem.

We installed all the software, and I did a reboot to test it started before I left and it said starting Windows and then I got a blank screen where I could move the cursor about....

I thought for a while the system wasn't booting up properly, but could here the windows start up sound but nothing else.

Almost giving up - I tried a few keyboard combiniations, Firstly the keyboard had a sleep key which I accidently pressed and then moved the mouse and the login screen appeared.

So I tried then rebooting the machine with the monitor off and switch the monitor on after the startup sound - and this seems to work, which would indicate either some driver issue for me, or also I originally connected the PC with DVI cable only and it required VGA also (which surprised me) - I would have thought 1 cable would have been enough...

Anyway... this information might help you - hope so or it might give someone else some ideas why this might be happening.

Good luck

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can not see user selection screen, but can log in.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can not see user selection screen, but can log in.
Thread Forum
Drop Down Menu selection frozen on screen General Discussion
how change windows name at selection screen before booting? Installation & Setup
Solved automaticaly loading admin, from user selection upon start-up General Discussion
EXCEL VBA 2007 Macro: Offsetting cell form a user defined selection Microsoft Office
OS Selection Screen is blank Installation & Setup
Unlocking Computer - prompt for User Selection General Discussion
User Selection Screen Wallpaper Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33