Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Possible solution(s) to my RAM problems?

22 May 2016   #1
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 
Possible solution(s) to my RAM problems?

Thanks in advance for reading.
Im using a Del Optiplex with Windows 7/64 bit, 6GB of RAM and a 4th Gen i5.

About a month ago a tech-friend replaced my 500gb internal drive with one 256ssd for the OS and a 1TB optical drive for storage.

Ever since then (and it could just be coincidence), I keep getting low memory alerts. Its usually Firefox or Chrome that is the culprit but its been iTunes and even Evernote as well. I dont use anything very memory intensive and I rarely keep more than 3 browser tabs open.

Have any ideas what could be the problem here?

I just ordered another 2gbs of ram from Crucial...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 May 2016   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Have you run Memtest 86?

Have you monitored actual RAM usage at any given moment in Task Manager? How much does it say is installed and in use?

If you truly "don't use anything very memory intensive", the new 2 GB of RAM is a waste of money, particularly if you don't know if you've been using all of the current 6.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2016   #3
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Have you run Memtest 86?

Have you monitored actual RAM usage at any given moment in Task Manager? How much does it say is installed and in use?

If you truly "don't use anything very memory intensive", the new 2 GB of RAM is a waste of money, particularly if you don't know if you've been using all of the current 6.
I have not. I will download and try that out.

I am looking at TM right now and its says I have 6046mbs of RAM which sounds right and 4.36gbs or 74% of my RAM is being used, which sounds correct as well.
Thats said and maybe im doing this wrong, but when adding up all the memory usage on the Processes tag I get maybe a Gig or a gig and half of memory.

Why then does it say 4.36 of gigs is being used in the performance tab?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 May 2016   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

4.36 is highly suspicious. I've never ever used more than 3 plus, including times when I've had 50 or more browser tabs open.

A gig or gig and a half sounds much more likely.

I'd run complete virus and malware scans as a starting point.

Any odd looking stuff in processes or installed apps that you can't readily identify? Or in non-Microsoft services?

Maybe others have better ideas. I'm not a memory guru.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2016   #5
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
4.36 is highly suspicious. I've never ever used more than 3 plus, including times when I've had 50 or more browser tabs open.

A gig or gig and a half sounds much more likely.

I'd run complete virus and malware scans as a starting point.

Any odd looking stuff in processes or installed apps that you can't readily identify? Or in non-Microsoft services?

Maybe others have better ideas. I'm not a memory guru.
Have done all of that and cant seem to find anything suspicious.

Appreciate the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2016   #6
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Yes, 74% is way high.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2016   #7
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kwitel View Post
I am looking at TM right now and its says I have 6046mbs of RAM which sounds right and 4.36gbs or 74% of my RAM is being used, which sounds correct as well.
Thats said and maybe im doing this wrong, but when adding up all the memory usage on the Processes tag I get maybe a Gig or a gig and half of memory.

Why then does it say 4.36 of gigs is being used in the performance tab?
Adding up the numbers in the memory usage column will never equal total usage. It was never intended that it would. With default configuration the numbers do not show full process usage and there are some very significant users of memory that are not processes, not all of which are shown in Task Manager.

74% usage does seem high. A good place to start would be to post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab. This will provide a high level view of memory usage and is more important at this point than a look a process usage. The problem may not be a process at all and in many cases it isn't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2016   #8
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Check Page File settings:

Start> Run

type sysdm.cpl

press Enter.

Advanced> Performance> Settings> Advanced> Virtual Memory> Change

Post a screenshot for us to look at.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2016   #9
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kwitel View Post
I am looking at TM right now and its says I have 6046mbs of RAM which sounds right and 4.36gbs or 74% of my RAM is being used, which sounds correct as well.
Thats said and maybe im doing this wrong, but when adding up all the memory usage on the Processes tag I get maybe a Gig or a gig and half of memory.

Why then does it say 4.36 of gigs is being used in the performance tab?
Adding up the numbers in the memory usage column will never equal total usage. It was never intended that it would. With default configuration the numbers do not show full process usage and there are some very significant users of memory that are not processes, not all of which are shown in Task Manager.

74% usage does seem high. A good place to start would be to post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab. This will provide a high level view of memory usage and is more important at this point than a look a process usage. The problem may not be a process at all and in many cases it isn't.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Check Page File settings:

Start> Run

type sysdm.cpl

press Enter.

Advanced> Performance> Settings> Advanced> Virtual Memory> Change

Post a screenshot for us to look at.
Please see attached.

Thanks.


Attached Thumbnails
Possible solution(s) to my RAM problems?-task-mgr.png  
Attached Images
Possible solution(s) to my RAM problems?-virtual-memory.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2016   #10
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 

And Performance:


Attached Thumbnails
Possible solution(s) to my RAM problems?-performance.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Possible solution(s) to my RAM problems?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Solution for Asrock BSOD W7 Problems on Extreme or Pro boards
Extreme or Pro. We have two boards: *Mine. First P67 Extreme 4 B3 buyed on May 2011. BSODS FIRST DAYS. 8 Gb Gskill 1600 Mhz Ripjaws X (for problems Space with my big Cooler Zalman Extreme CNPSQ10 need change to 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 Mhz) , Ati 6870, Ocz Zx 1250W, Seagate 1 Tb...
BSOD Help and Support
Problems in several areas....looking for more TS tips to find solution
This all started about 2 months ago. After a driver update to my Nvidia video card. I started getting system hangs which started triggering Win7's TDR and reseting my video drivers. At first it was only in one game and I suspected it was a game update, but I recently got The Sims Medieval and it...
BSOD Help and Support
A myriad of problems, is there a solution
I have a lenovo laptop for the past two months. I am running windows 7 32 bit. A month ago I attempted to run a Malwarebyte scan and he computer froze and it has been a nightmare since. Some of the symptoms are: IE8 and Chrome will not load or work at all. Firefox will work but it freezes many...
Performance & Maintenance
Win 7 Network Problems. ALL Nics onboard-My Solution
There have been alot of people having problems with Nic cards under Win 7. It seems to be mostly the onboard nics.. Here is what happened to me: Installed Win 7 on an AMD based sys. Biostar A770 A2+ MB. Everything worked. Ran udates and one was a new driver for the realtek Nic.. (At one time...
Network & Sharing
Want a solution on 2 problems
Hello, I'm new here.. I got 2 problems with my network.. 1: I got 2 computers running Win 7 x86... One is the laptop I use regulary and one is my HTPC (ASRock ION 330HT-BD).
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App