Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Windows 7 pro 64bit OEM COA on Dell motherboard

22 Jun 2016   #11
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Yup, it would be a waste of money/license if you have a readable key.
Don't ever post a screen print of your COA sticker without blacking out the Key.
Here is an example of what a COA sticker looks like.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jun 2016   #12
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Assuming you have a readable COA sticker, the more difficult task will be making installation media to install Windows 7.

At one time, you could easily download an ISO file from Microsoft and burn it to a bootable DVD and install from that--or put it on a bootable USB flash drive.

But the ISO files are more difficult to find now. Microsoft wants you to move to a new operating system.

However--they can be had. I haven't kept track of exactly where you can find one, but someone here will know.

You need to prepare to convert that ISO into a bootable DVD or bootable USB flash drive--whichever you can use and prefer for the installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #13
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

The ISO's are available again via Heidoc and downloaded from MS using the Windows ISO Downloader.exe available here:
https://heidoc.net/joomla/technology...-download-tool
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2016   #14
Zoomy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Assuming you have a readable COA sticker, the more difficult task will be making installation media to install Windows 7.

At one time, you could easily download an ISO file from Microsoft and burn it to a bootable DVD and install from that--or put it on a bootable USB flash drive.

But the ISO files are more difficult to find now. Microsoft wants you to move to a new operating system.

However--they can be had. I haven't kept track of exactly where you can find one, but someone here will know.

You need to prepare to convert that ISO into a bootable DVD or bootable USB flash drive--whichever you can use and prefer for the installation.
With your information, I just got off the phone with Dell rep. They can provide a bootable flash drive for around $20. Not too bad. Wish I could find the ISO's though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #15
Zoomy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The ISO's are available again via Heidoc and downloaded from MS using the Windows ISO Downloader.exe available here:
https://heidoc.net/joomla/technology...-download-tool
Wow, you guys are fantastic. Thanks for the link.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #16
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Zoomy

Tip, unless you use wifi. Make sure you download the chipset & ethernet drivers from dell. You will need to install the chipset & ethernet drivers before getting online & installing other drivers. Also, since you are paying for a service call, you ought to ask the place how much more it would cost to do a clean install of windows 7 pro, it shouldn't be that much more. If the shop uses the wrong key, you can change it to the one on the back of your machine when you get it back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #17
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #18
Zoomy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
Zoomy

Tip, unless you use wifi. Make sure you download the chipset & ethernet drivers from dell. You will need to install the chipset & ethernet drivers before getting online & installing other drivers. Also, since you are paying for a service call, you ought to ask the place how much more it would cost to do a clean install of windows 7 pro, it shouldn't be that much more. If the shop uses the wrong key, you can change it to the one on the back of your machine when you get it back.
Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have figured that out until the last moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #19
Zoomy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
Thanks for the link. I will use it when I get my 'puter back from the service shop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2016   #20
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
The last i know of is that site does NOT work for an OEM PC license, such as a Dell pre-installed.
Maybe things have changed, i don't know.

imho, The question still is, does the OP have a readable Win 7 COA sticker ?
Without knowing that, it's impossible to best advise what to do.

I'll drop off until you know about the COA sticker, if you have questions for me.
I think i ask too many questions and just confuse things
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Windows 7 pro 64bit OEM COA on Dell motherboard




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Installing Windows 7 64bit on a Dell M4700 laptop. Help Plz
Okay so my brother's gf has a dell laptop and is trying to install windows 7 64bit on it. When they run through the setup it gives them the error - “Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware." How can they resolve this? Thanks in advance.
Drivers
Windows 7 key from a Dell machine on a new motherboard
Hi everyone. I've been reading up on Microsofts licensing schemes and I thought I understood them, but now I have a situation that I don't quite understand and I could use some help. So I got my hands on a used Dell PC that had a Windows 7 Pro 64bit COA sticker key on it. I also received the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Would Dell Factory restore work after Dell replaced the motherboard?
Would Dell Factory restore DVDS work after Dell replaced the motherboard? I haven't tried it because I have the dell re-installation disk, just wondered if I ever need to get rid of this computer. I am planning on keeping the computer as long as possible. Just for information no activation...
General Discussion
how to replace motherboard without re-installing windows 7
how can it be done because i don't want to have to re-install everything plus i have a very slow internet connection n i have a pretty big steam game list that took me forever to download i just want to know if there is a way around it without causing instability issues and what not
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Trouble installing Windows7 64bit on w/ Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
Just recently purchased a Cyberpowerpc Fang Evo Liquidcool desktop that has Windows 7 already. I am having trouble with the actual installation of 7 with the disk that came in the box with my motherboard, because it seems to not be able to locate the drivers needed. Desktop Specs- P8Z68-V Lx...
Drivers
Motherboard/CPU upgrade with Retail Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Having read some threads I am under the impression I won't have to purchase another copy of windows but I was wondering what I will have to do in order to continue using the same copy of windows. Some people have indicated that I will need to contact Microsoft but I couldn't determine if they...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App