Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Questions about a Screen Recorder .DMP file?

07 Aug 2016   #1
tntroy61

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 
Questions about a Screen Recorder .DMP file?

After reading many posts here on this forum, I feel pretty intimidated asking what are probably silly questions. ( that show how little I actually know about a computer ) But, here goes.

I've had this problem happen quite often, that when I am recording my screen with a BSR Screen Recorder. The program freezes, which I gather might also mean it crashes. Sometimes, if I wait a bit. It actually corrects itself and I am able to save the video file it recorded. But most of the time, I just have to go to the task manager & end the program.

I went to another forum, asking was it possible that the video might still be found some where. Like in a temp file or something. And they gave me directions on how to look for it if so. Well, instead I found a fairly large ( 256 Mb ) DMP file. Back at that forum again, where they told me it's the dump file for the freeze up/crash. So I then asked, because of the size of the file. If it was possible that the file might actually contain the video I was recording at the time of the event. As well as the data of what happened before the crash.

So my question is, is that an unusually large DMP file from a screen recorder programs data before the crash? Or is it possible it also contains the video it was recording, as well as the other data? And can that video be extracted from the file?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Aug 2016   #2
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

Welcome to the forum. A dump file just records the errors and state of the pc when it crashed. Have you tried just using the win7 recorder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmOUJHQ5Fc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2016   #3
tntroy61

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samuria View Post
Welcome to the forum. A dump file just records the errors and state of the pc when it crashed. Have you tried just using the win7 recorder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmOUJHQ5Fc
Oh, ok samuria. Thank you very much for the quick reply.

And no, I never knew there was a win7 recorder. But I will have to check it out. BSR did the best job of all the screen recorders I have tried. So even with the multiple crashes, I've just stuck with it. The problem with the crashes may just be because I am using an older version of the program ( don't have the funds to upgrade so )

Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2016   #4
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tntroy61 View Post
After reading many posts here on this forum, I feel pretty intimidated asking what are probably silly questions. ( that show how little I actually know about a computer ) But, here goes.
Don't be intimidated. We're here to help, and we all started out like you. By asking questions.

Quote:
I've had this problem happen quite often, that when I am recording my screen with a BSR Screen Recorder. The program freezes, which I gather might also mean it crashes. Sometimes, if I wait a bit. It actually corrects itself and I am able to save the video file it recorded. But most of the time, I just have to go to the task manager & end the program.
When it's done this, have you ever had the famous Blue Screen of Death? That would be evidence of a definite crash for sure.

Quote:
So my question is, is that an unusually large DMP file from a screen recorder programs data before the crash? Or is it possible it also contains the video it was recording, as well as the other data? And can that video be extracted from the file?
The DMP file will be all of the information and memory dump for your crash as collected by Windows. It will not contain your video. Your video might be somewhere in C: \%Your User Name%\AppData\Local\Temp, or in a temporary file under the recording program's folder in AppData.

Note that AppData is a hidden folder. You'll have to un-hide it to see it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Questions about a Screen Recorder .DMP file?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Problem Screen Recorder
Hi, I am wondering if you can assist me. In my work I have recently been upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. I have noticed that part of Windows 7 is a helpful screen record software that takes screen shots, which in my work is a very good tool, however the only problem is that when it...
General Discussion
Screen Recorder
Can anyone recommend a good screen recorder that works on windows 7. I want to do some tutorials.... Thanks, Ant ;)
Software
Sound Recorder File Formats
Unable to save audio recordings in CCIT-ulaw format since we went to Windows 7. Is there a way to revert back to the Windows XP Version of Sound Recorder on Windows 7 or is there a way to save an audio file in different formats like we were able to with the Win Xp version of Sound Recorder? Tried...
Sound & Audio
Looking for a specific screen recorder
I am looking for a screen recorder that can record the screen in wysiwyg when the DPI is set to 150%. I have tried Camstudio, Camtasia, WM Capture and a few others. They all record only part of the screen with the high DPI setting. The only recorder I have found that works correctly with that...
Music, Pictures & Video
Looking for a screen recorder
Hello all ;) Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum category, but I'm looking for a screen recorder that can fully work on Windows 7 and be able to record in HD 720p 60fps or 40fps with no lag while you're recording. I also want the frames to be really clear and smooth and not pixely and buggy...
Software
A dual screen recorder?
Hello geeks. Does somebody know a screen recorder which could capture both screens in a dual screen system? Need one for educational purposes. Kari
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App