Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up

11 Aug 2016   #1
reble

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 
windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up

This is a HP Compaq Presario C700 laptop OS win 7 Home 32bit. When I 1st start up the laptop cold, The laptop is fine. After the laptop has been running for a while the laptop starts getting squirrely. Everything starts taking more time to start, reload screens, the email client takes longer to download and sometimes stalls, same thing with Firefox and Internet Explorer and games. The case over the HDD gets very hot if I don't have the cooling fans on under the laptop and the cooling fan attached to the air exhaust port pulling air out. I have taken the laptop appart and made sure that the air ducts are clean. And I used msconfig to turn a few prog's that were running in the background off when Windows starts. Turning off those prog's helps. I don't know what else to do other then to see if the cpu is over clocked. I am not sure were to check on Win7 for that. I can't afford to replace this laptop right now. I am open to any ideas.


Steve


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Aug 2016   #2
AmericanPharaoh

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Hello Steve,

I usually don't recommend this right off, but in your case; it may be a shorter route to resolve your issue by performing a Clean Install of your OS.

Your HP/ Compaq Laptop should have a built-in HDD Recovery Partition with a "clean copy" of your Operating System. You can Backup any personal files to a DVD or USB flash drive. Then do a reinstall of OS to factory settings.

A Clean Install should eliminate any possibility of your overheating issue being software related.

Has the Laptop ever shutdown on its own due to overheating?

Do you know how to check your CPU and Memory usage in Task Manager? R/click on clock, choose Start Task Manager. In Task Manager, click on Performance Tab. What is the percentage of CPU and Memory usage displayed there... while you system idles.

Let us know, how you'd like to proceed.

John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2016   #3
RolandJS

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

What make and model is your external usb cooling assembly? I'm curious. I have two biggies in the house for two laptops.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Aug 2016   #4
reble

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 
windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up

I just did do a clean install of the OS because I saw a neet looking prog and I though I would give it a try. It turned out to be a trojan horse. That prog made my laptop act like R.2.D.2 (from StarWars) hiped up on meth. So I had no choise but to wipe the C HDD partition clean and start over again. As far as the over heating goes. Yes the laptop has gotten hot enough for to force a shutdown. That's why the laptop now sits on a cooling fan stand and I have an other fan attached to air exhaust port on the side of the laptop, pulling hot air out from the laptop. The fans help some but not enough. To Roland JD I don't have a clue as to What make and model is the external usb cooling assembly? I got it on ebay



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanPharaoh View Post
Hello Steve,

I usually don't recommend this right off, but in your case; it may be a shorter route to resolve your issue by performing a Clean Install of your OS.

Your HP/ Compaq Laptop should have a built-in HDD Recovery Partition with a "clean copy" of your Operating System. You can Backup any personal files to a DVD or USB flash drive. Then do a reinstall of OS to factory settings.

A Clean Install should eliminate any possibility of your overheating issue being software related.

Has the Laptop ever shutdown on its own due to overheating?

Do you know how to check your CPU and Memory usage in Task Manager? R/click on clock, choose Start Task Manager. In Task Manager, click on Performance Tab. What is the percentage of CPU and Memory usage displayed there... while you system idles.

Let us know, how you'd like to proceed.

John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2016   #5
AmericanPharaoh

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Hey reble,

Trojans Horses are easy to remove. Just reboot into Safe Mode and run a couple of specialized cleaners.

"Then Bob's your Uncle."

That prog made my laptop act like R.2.D.2 (from StarWars) hyped-up on meth.



Glad you got it sorted.
John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2016   #6
reble

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 
windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up

I still have the overheating problem, just not as bad.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanPharaoh View Post
Hey reble,

Trojans Horses are easy to remove. Just reboot into Safe Mode and run a couple of specialized cleaners.

"Then Bob's your Uncle."

That prog made my laptop act like R.2.D.2 (from StarWars) hyped-up on meth.



Glad you got it sorted.
John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2016   #7
RolandJS

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

I had to add a table fan to circulate the room air a bit, that air flow also kept room temp down a little, "helped" the cooling assembly to do its job. Yes, my laptops still get quite warm after some time, no temp-related shutdowns anymore though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2016   #8
AmericanPharaoh

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by reble View Post
I still have the overheating problem, just not as bad.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanPharaoh View Post
Hey reble,

Trojans Horses are easy to remove. Just reboot into Safe Mode and run a couple of specialized cleaners.

"Then Bob's your Uncle."

That prog made my laptop act like R.2.D.2 (from StarWars) hyped-up on meth.



Glad you got it sorted.
John
Doing a Google search for your computer shows it as originally having Windows Vista 64-bit installed.

Do you know your Laptops history? Did you buy it used or upgraded it yourself?

What method are you using to reinstall your OS, from a HDD partition, OEM software from your System Builder, or?

Here's a screen shot of your present "System Specs."


Attached Images
windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up-specs.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2016   #9
AmericanPharaoh

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Please, download the free version of Speccy and post a screenshot of the results.
https://www.piriform.com/speccy
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

Here's what I found for your Computers original specs.
Gateway MD2614u Specs - CNET

It appears your Computer is under powered. If your running OEM software, it would be full of Bloatware, causing a load on your systems limited resources.

After you reinstalled the OS, what programs have you added back?

What Antivirus and Firewall do you use?

John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2016   #10
reble

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 
windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up

AmericanPharaoh, check the very 1st line in the original post on this thread. The Gateway MD6214u died in Jan of this year. Bad main voltage regular on the motherboard It got scraped. I now have HP Compaq Presario C700 laptop.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanPharaoh View Post

Doing a Google search for your computer shows it as originally having Windows Vista 64-bit installed.

Do you know your Laptops history? Did you buy it used or upgraded it yourself?

What method are you using to reinstall your OS, from a HDD partition, OEM software from your System Builder, or?

Here's a screen shot of your present "System Specs."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows gets squirrely after laptop has warmed up




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WLM gone squirrely
After a happy life in Win 7 I took the plunge to Win 10. After a couple of days I reverted back to Win 7-phew! Since coming back my Live Mail is doing strange things. Every time I open WLM another windows opens stating 'Restoring Live Mail database'. After that it appears to be OK but some (many)...
Browsers & Mail
My mouse got squirrely today...
So I was updating my iTunes library today, browsing the bad company forums, of course the 7 forums, as well as listening to some music when all of a sudden my mouse stopped responding as it should. It wasn't like I accidentally hit the dpi button because the mouse wasn't slow; it was that it...
General Discussion
Questions about moving Windows 7 + HDD from old laptop to new laptop
Hi there, I've got a few questions about what would happen with Windows if I were to move my old HDD from my laptop into a new one. Some info: I have a retail copy of Windows 7; my hard drive is not original to my laptop because the original HD died; if it's possible to do a simple swap, my...
Hardware & Devices
Laptop A sees laptop B on the Homegroup, Laptop B will not find A
I just bought 2 brand new laptops, both running Windows 7 Home Premium, both connected via a wireless router. Laptop A is an HP, Dads (mine). Laptop B is a Compaq, sons. Was having trouble getting either one to see each other on the homegroup network. Verified I have ipv6 enabled. Read to turn off...
Network & Sharing
PC posts only if warmed up (?)
This is not related to Windows 7 but i did not know where else to post. It's about my older PC that still runs XP. I hope this is not a problem. Please help me. I think it is more of a hardware problem. The PC is about 10 years old. Here is the current config: Compaq Presario 3600AP P4 1.5...
Hardware & Devices
Find a Laptop with Windows Laptop Scout + Special Holiday Offers
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App