Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Deleting Windows from HDD ?

12 Sep 2016   #1
Mike99

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Deleting Windows from HDD ?

I was playing around & installed a Windows 7 image on a new HDD to see how fast a fresh install boots up. The HDD was intended for storage & now I want to use it for that. When I put the image on it I never thought about the implications on deleting it. But now I realize there are the 2 regular partitions & the 100MB System Reserved partition on it. If I format the C and D partitions that still leaves the System Reserved to be dealt with. And of course thereís the matter of getting rid of the partitions & putting the HDD back into a single partition just like it was when new & in the box.

I searched quite a bit & this particular Partition Wizard seems like it will do the job.
Thanks for Downloading MiniTool Partition Wizard Free

Itís bootable off of a CD & therefore donít have to rely on having a working HDD with Windows on it. IOW connect the HDD in question & boot the PC with the Partition Wizard disc in it & follow the instructions.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to restore the HDD to new condition?
Or is there some other preferred recommended approach?
Any suggestions & comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Sep 2016   #2
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I'd say you'd be safer to use the bootable CD
https://www.partitionwizard.com/part...otable-cd.html
Disconnect all other SSDs/HDDs. Delete the partitions and reformat the HDD as NTFS/primary (not logical). Note with Partition Wizard you need to select apply the operations.

A disk management screenshot would be useful since your experimental install may have altered an existing OS implementation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #3
Mike99

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The bootable CD is the product I meant. The link I posted is what came up after I downloaded the bootable CD software.

What do mean "may have altered an existing OS implementation"? The image was put on a new HDD.

I'll have to put the HDD back in in order to get a screenshot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Sep 2016   #4
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Are you going to leave the HD in the machine? IOW, you will have 2 physical HD after you reinstall Windows? If not why not get a docking station and plug the drive into it? Even the fast ones are very cheap these days.

Once you have your Windows system running again you can use the diskpart command in an Admin command prompt to clean up the HD in the dock, create a primary partition, then format it NTFS etc..

Depending on the size of the drive it may take a couple of hours to do a slow format. But I recommend it since it will mark bad sectors as it writes zeroes to the drive. It may save problems later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #5
Eric3742

Windows 7 x64
 
 

You already download the exe to create a Partition Wizard Boot disc. (i did use the same method.)
Now you want to wipe clean.

1. Let the new HDD in the computer, ignore your HDD with Windows OS, no need to insert yet.
2. Insert the PW disc, if cannot, then do it at point #5.
3. Turn on the computer AND continue to press F2 to go to the BIOS option.
4. In the boot option, do go to change the boot startup to CD drive.
5. Before doing F10 -> Save BIOS and boot.
Do ensure that the PW disc is inside and running then proceed to point 6.

6. This PW disc will boot to Partition Wizard directly, hence no need to do anything.
7. Prompt to proceed.
8. Please wait....

9. Now you are at Partition Wizard. MiniTool Partition Magic 9.
10. Select the 1st partition and at the menu (left) or top (Icon) select Delete and confirmation.
11. Select the 2nd partition and Delete. If any more partition you want to delete, same procedure.

12. Then you can create one partition.

13. Exit -> click on the top right window.

14. Do not forget to go to F2 and change the boot option, after you had done.

There should not be any problem, as i had done several times.

Eric.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #6
cajuntiger

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Computer Management snap in does all of that. You can resize and delete partitions within it. No need to install that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #7
Mike99

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Are you going to leave the HD in the machine? IOW, you will have 2 physical HD after you reinstall Windows? If not why not get a docking station and plug the drive into it? Even the fast ones are very cheap these days.

Once you have your Windows system running again you can use the diskpart command in an Admin command prompt to clean up the HD in the dock, create a primary partition, then format it NTFS etc..

Depending on the size of the drive it may take a couple of hours to do a slow format. But I recommend it since it will mark bad sectors as it writes zeroes to the drive. It may save problems later.
1) I have the original HDD with Win7 & programs & data on it. I planned on keeping this as-is as a backup. It will not remain connected & I might get a docking station or enclosure for it.

2) There's the "experimental" HDD which I want to clean up & use for data only.

3) And an SSD to which I just installed a clean copy of Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #8
cajuntiger

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote:

1) I have the original HDD with Win7 & programs & data on it. I planned on keeping this as-is as a backup. It will not remain connected & I might get a docking station or enclosure for it.

2) There's the "experimental" HDD which I want to clean up & use for data only.

3) And an SSD to which I just installed a clean copy of Win7.
If you want to wipe a HDD I suggest using CCleaner. Great program for wiping HDDs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #9
Mike99

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eric3742 View Post
You already download the exe to create a Partition Wizard Boot disc. (i did use the same method.)
Now you want to wipe clean.

9. Now you are at Partition Wizard. MiniTool Partition Magic 9.
10. Select the 1st partition and at the menu (left) or top (Icon) select Delete and confirmation.
11. Select the 2nd partition and Delete. If any more partition you want to delete, same procedure.

12. Then you can create one partition.

13. Exit -> click on the top right window.

There should not be any problem, as i had done several times.

Eric.
Is there an extra step to create one partition as mentioned in step #12, or will that happen automatically because all the partitions have been deleted?

Will the data also get deleted when the partitions get deleted, or should the HDD be formatted?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2016   #10
cajuntiger

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eric3742 View Post
You already download the exe to create a Partition Wizard Boot disc. (i did use the same method.)
Now you want to wipe clean.

9. Now you are at Partition Wizard. MiniTool Partition Magic 9.
10. Select the 1st partition and at the menu (left) or top (Icon) select Delete and confirmation.
11. Select the 2nd partition and Delete. If any more partition you want to delete, same procedure.

12. Then you can create one partition.

13. Exit -> click on the top right window.

There should not be any problem, as i had done several times.

Eric.
Is there an extra step to create one partition as mentioned in step #12, or will that happen automatically because all the partitions have been deleted?

Will the data also get deleted when the partitions get deleted, or should the HDD be formatted?
When you format it, you will delete all of your data. You have to delete the partition, or extend your C:, if you have two to make it one partition. Your Computer Management snap in can do all of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Deleting Windows from HDD ?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Deleting a 2nd User account & its safety in not deleting anything else
Hoping this is the right place to ask my question and that the title is OK. I was asked to create a 2nd user account with 'Administration privileges'. Having done so I no longer need it. In trying to delete it I got a pop up window asking me if I wanted to save some of my files (My Documents etc.)...
General Discussion
Deleting old windows 7 .
hello, i want to know how do i delete old windows 7 from my C drive while i am being in my new windows 7 in E drive. here are the steps i followed and nothing came out of them. - i simply deleted old windows in C drive , which still didnt freed C drive of the space - i then used disk...
Installation & Setup
Deleting a directory structure without deleting the name of the root
HI With the command prompt of Windows 7 SP1, how do I delete a directory structure with their files without deleting the name of the root directory? THANKS BYE
General Discussion
Deleting Old Windows
Hi All, This is my first post. I recently had major problems accessing the internet and some other problems, so I reinstalled Win 7 Home Premium. I had problems reinstalling anmd had to do it a couple of times. I now find in explorer that I have Windows.old, windows.old000 and windows old.001....
Installation & Setup
Deleting a playlist without deleting the WMP database
I made the "mistake" of deleting a playlist file manually, or more exactly, deleting a whole album folder I didn't care about that happened to contain the playlist, but the playlist still shows up in WMP left pane. However, as many reported, left or right clicking it produces no action, as the...
Sound & Audio
Deleting windows.old
Is it safe to delete the windows.old directories?
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App