Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Registering every *.DLL required? or possible?

4 Weeks Ago   #1
pstein

win7pro 64bit
 
 
Registering every *.DLL required? or possible?

Assume I have (under 64bit Win 7) a big program installation with one main *.exe file and lots of *.dlls.

It seems to me that some but not all of these *.dlls need a registration (by regsvr32) which is done typically at installation time.
Some other *.dlls seem to need NO such registration but are accessed dynamically from the program on-demand.

So are there two such types of *.dlls ?

How do I find out which type of DLL lets say myspecial.dll is?

Now lets say that I got an older installation on an USB flash drive.
I have not the original installation setup package.

In order to make it runnable some of these DLLs must be registered now, afterwards.
Can I just register all of them by simply entering:

regsvr32 myspeciallib1.dll
regsvr32 myspeciallib2.dll
...
regsvr32 myspeciallib9.dll
?

Does it hurt if a DLL which is actually not designed for registration is registered anyway?

I am interested only in DLL handling. Other possible issues like missing Registry entries shouldn't be discussed here.

Thank you
Peter


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
4 Weeks Ago   #2
margrave

Size 12
 
 

When you say "Assume I have (under 64bit Win 7) a big program installation with one main *.exe file and lots of *.dlls." ...

Are you speaking about an existing application, and are wondering which dll files should or should not be registered?

Or are you developing a program, and are wondering how to create an installer, and are trying to decide which dll files should be registered and which not?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #3
pstein

win7pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by margrave View Post
When you say "Assume I have (under 64bit Win 7) a big program installation with one main *.exe file and lots of *.dlls." ...

Are you speaking about an existing application, and are wondering which dll files should or should not be registered?
Existing program not developed by me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

4 Weeks Ago   #4
Pyprohly

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, OS X El Capitan
 
 

Hi,

Most dlls aren’t typically registered. It’s only those dlls that implement a mechanism through which software components will be able to communicate with that require registering, and so to do this the dll fills the registry with appropriate lookup and versioning information. Pretty much, the only time this happens is when registering a COM object. So you can imagine how many dlls actually need registering.

It’s worth realising that a dll is synonymous to an executable. When a dll is registered with RegSvr32, all RegSvr32 does is execute a function called “DllRegisterServer” contained within the dll. This can be any arbitrary code. Likewise, when a dll is unregistered with RegSvr32 it simply calls the “DllUnregisterServer” function.

It’s rare that a third party dll would require registration. If an application happens to come bundled with a dll that requires registering, the installer usually takes care of the dll registration.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pstein View Post
So are there two such types of *.dlls ?
If you want to think of it that way. Really, there isn’t any other distinguishing feature about a dll that can be registered aside from the fact that it defines DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pstein View Post
How do I find out which type of DLL lets say myspecial.dll is?
“Myspecial.dll” is register-able if it defines a DllRegisterServer method, so all we have to do is check if this entry point exists in the dll. Unfortunately, there’s not much in the way of builtin tools that can help with this though. I know if Visual Studio is installed you can use the Dumpbin command in the developer command prompt.
Code:
dumpbin /exports "file.dll" | find "DllRegisterServer" >NUL && echo This dll can be registered || echo This dll cannot be registered
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pstein View Post
In order to make it runnable some of these DLLs must be registered now, afterwards.
Can I just register all of them by simply entering:
If they’re just different versions of the same dll, I’d say the registrations would overwrite one another. It’s theoretically impossible to tell though without decompiling the binary.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pstein View Post
Does it hurt if a DLL which is actually not designed for registration is registered anyway?
No. If you register a dll with RegSvr32 and it can’t find a DllRegisterServer method then it will inform you and nothing else will happen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registering every *.DLL required? or possible?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Problem registering
I am a member of the Vista forum my name there is Barbee and I tried signing in here and it would not let me use the same ID and PW. So I put in my email to register and it tells me I can't use my email because it is already in use. So I click to have the PW sent to my email and it has me down as...
Chillout Room
Registering a dll ?
What is the difference between registering a .dll by doing this: regsvr32 <path & filename of the dll Versus doing this: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 "vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
General Discussion
Registering mscomctl.ocx
When I register the mscomctl.ocx in my Win7 OS I got the following error: Mscomctl.ocx module has been load but an error has ocurred when dll register server has been called. (Error code: 0x8002801c) Can someone help me with this?
General Discussion
Registering A File
After installing Java, for some reason it didn't go well, and when I try to use some features, it pops a dialog saying that it can't find msvcr71.dll and to reinstall the program. Instead of reinstalling it, I found the missing file in the Java directory and copy/pasted it to my browser's plugin...
General Discussion
Registering Windows 7
Hi all, just brought my Mum Windows 7 home premium, thing is she never goes on the internet, just dose letters scans and prints etc etc....how will she go on about registering her copy? and will it stop her using it in time? Many thanks
General Discussion
Registering Windows 7
I have already downloaded and installed Windows 7 as well as registered it and it has been for quite some time now. My question is, I'm installing a new hard drive tomorrow and want to reinstall the operating system, am i able to use the same product key and have it reactivate or should I get a new...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App