Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Why use a Tablet PC?

15 Feb 2009   #1

Windows 7 Build 7048 x64
 
 
Why use a Tablet PC?

This is actually for darkassain but I thought I'd ask everyone

I've used a lot of different laptops including Tablet PCs. What I'd really want to know, for those who decided to invest in owning one and using it on a daily basis, what's the appeal?

I can see myself using a touch screen on a desktop setup and doing the Minority Report stuff on my screen but why would one decide the jump from a normal laptop to a tablet?

I've read reviews about these twisting screened laptops with their stylus, there's a part of me that wants to understand the need for it.

I hope that you can share your thoughts.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2009   #2

Windows 7 RC 7100 32bit/64bit
 
 

Hello Nosferatux.

I believe Tablet gives you a few extras that a normal laptop won't. First off, its the touch screen. Not to mention HP XT2 and DELL XT which even have multi-touch.

Now IMO, the main (and probably the only) advantage of a tablet apart from the touchscreen , against a normal laptop, would be the option to fold the screen down, hold it in your arms and use it like a notepad, with its pen or your fingers, in jobs/places where this would be convenient in some way. Honestly, apart from the touch screen thingy, I see no other use or noticable difference. Then again, I might be missing something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

well it depends on what you want to do...
as for me the reason i bought my tablet is because being a college student i want to have all my notes in one place (another bonus is that you can record lectures at the same time...)
i also have been wanting to do some painting but without wasting paper...
corel painter is great for this and i have had my fun...

as for the touch
well i havent used it as much as want to (partly since its not multitouch...)
but it serves me well when im using adobe acrobat and viewing some magazine or other documents...

also there was the price factor
as i nab this baby for $1,000.....
which is pretty good, but i wish i could have have the elitebook, t2z or the dell xt (since these have the C2D ULV if i remember except for the t2z since its also based on the puma platform but it has Multi-touch and can use 8gb of ram....)
but their IGP is horrible (which made want this lappy even more as this has a one of the strongest IGP's to date...)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Feb 2009   #4

Windows 7 Build 7048 x64
 
 

Yes limneos, you're absolutely correct.

If your job requires you to hold your laptop and do some notes standing up or walking around, that's where the advantage becomes evident and I know what you mean when you say "I might be missing something" as finding that out is the nature of this thread

I want to understand why would you opt for a tablet pc for personal use at home and in the office. When there's really no need for you to do notes while standing or walking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #5

Windows 7 Build 7048 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
well it depends on what you want to do...
as for me the reason i bought my tablet is because being a college student i want to have all my notes in one place (another bonus is that you can record lectures at the same time...)
i also have been wanting to do some painting but without wasting paper...
corel painter is great for this and i have had my fun...

as for the touch
well i havent used it as much as want to (partly since its not multitouch...)
but it serves me well when im using adobe acrobat and viewing some magazine or other documents...

also there was the price factor
as i nab this baby for $1,000.....
which is pretty good, but i wish i could have have the elitebook, t2z or the dell xt (since these have the C2D ULV if i remember)
but their IGP is horrible (which made want this lappy even more...
Well, since you're able to exploit the use of the tablet feature although not the way you hoped for as having multi-touch would I'm sure greatly improve the experience, it is understandable why you'd opt to use one.

I like the part of the Corel Painter. That's something to look into

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #6

 
 

I've never used a tablet before so correct me if I'm wrong, but it's basically still a laptop with the added bonus of a swivel touch screen?

I could see advantages to that over a standard laptop.

Does this also explain your lack of capital letters in posts DA?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
I've never used a tablet before so correct me if I'm wrong, but it's basically still a laptop with the added bonus of a swivel touch screen?
only a very small one...
12in is the one im using...
(which is the size of a standard mag or notebook (as paper...)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
I could see advantages to that over a standard laptop.
yes except for the small screen...(well i got used to it.... now my 19 inch seems like a giant when i see it... )

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Does this also explain your lack of capital letters in posts DA?
well i dont know about that....lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2009   #8

 
 

lmao

Does the constant swivelling of the display make it feel 'looser' over time?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
lmao

Does the constant swivelling of the display make it feel 'looser' over time?
not yet and i have done it constantly (about 7-9 times a day)...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2009   #10

 
 

Thats good.

I watched some bloke give a 'review' on youtube. it looks like the input detection can be a little off at times. Especially with a finger.

Still looks like a good little unit for the price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why use a Tablet PC?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Why use a Tablet PC?
Thread Forum
Tablet and PC Drivers for W7 X64 Drivers
Solved Tablet Case Help Hardware & Devices
W7 tablet interface Themes and Styles
Help on purchasing a tablet pc Chillout Room
Using OneNote w/ Ink Tablet Software
Having a bit of trouble with my tablet... Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33