Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: BIOS Problem.

21 Nov 2009   #1

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit
BIOS Problem.

What you are about to read will probably be a big ball of clutter, so bare with me.

I've been having problems with my BIOS ever since my laptop fan went bad on me.
I bought a new fan and right after that my computer would go into the BIOS and shut down mid way. If i got lucky enough it would start up after about 20 tries. I figured it was my fan so i took my laptop, and my sisters, (shhhhh) we have the same laptops and took them apart, i swapped the fans. First i started her laptop and hers started up fine. I tried to start mine up and now instead of shutting down midway in the BIOS it either does one of 2 things. The first thing it may do it show the very first part of the BIOS where it shows a little loading bar, then the screen will go black, then restart that process again.
The second thing it will do is it goes past the first little loading screen and it will go to a all black screen with blinking underscore. Now it will do either of 2 more things from here, it will either just sit and hang here or it will stay there for about 30 seconds then continue to boot up regularly. Once from here i don't have any troubles what so ever.

theres like a 70% chance it will go into the loop and 30 percent chance it will make it past there. At the black screen with the blinking underscore its like a 50% 50% chance. It's just very annoying and it can take like 5 minutes just to make it through the BIOS.

I have a dell inspiron 1521 with BIOS version A06.

Now, i really hope that made since.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2009   #2

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE

I really know nothing about laptops, but if anything like a regular PC in this regards, I would tend to suspect a corrupt BIOS or a damaged BIOS chip. I know that accessing the components within a laptop is considerably more difficult than on a PC, but if you knew whether or not your BIOS chip is accessible and is socketed, you could buy a new chip from the BIOS Depot, and I would bet that would fix the problem. Of course, you could also flash the BIOS, but that is something that I have tended to avoid, because of the possiblity of something going awry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)

Flashing the Bios is usually a fairly simple procedure. It's worth a try to see if that will solve the problem although I'm not clear from the description exactly what the problem is. But in any event, it's a good idea to have the most updated bios available installed on any machine that was designed for a previous version of Windows that is running W7.

Instructions on how to flash the bios and bios file downloads can usually be found on the manufacturer's support site for the particular machine in question, in this case Dell.

So the OP should go to Dell's support site and check if there are updated bios and drivers available for the machine in question and, if so, update them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec

21 Nov 2009   #4

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit

The BIOS is already running the latest version, i have never had to update it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec

 BIOS Problem.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
CPU and BIOS problem
Hello. Until today my AMD Athlon II x3 445 cpu ran on normal frequencies (3.1ghz). But today it changed to 2.2 ghz by itself. When I go in BIOS and try to change it to normal settings it doesn't save them. It saves everything but "Adjust CPU-NB Ratio". I set CPU-NB ratio to auto but it...
Hardware & Devices
Problem in BIOS HALP!
I just went into BIOS 2 days ago when i noticed this Red Highlighted value in the Hardware Monitor section in Power menu :shock: Everything is running on stock i never touched the voltages or anything. Take a look in the Pic the 12v seems very low.... What could be the problem? is the Power Supply,...
Hardware & Devices
BIOS problem
Don't know if I am in the right spot but have just done a new build with an i5 2500 on a Gigabyte GS-H67A-UD3H-B3 board and have had it going really well. I rebooted it tonight and turned to reboot the other two computers on an adjacent desk and hit a button (or two perhaps) by accident and...
General Discussion
BIOS Problem
Dear Friends My brother has a pretty old PC Pentium D with windows 7 installed. He has a 775-Dual-VSTA mobo from Asrock which as a PCIE x16 clocked at x4. Recently I noticed that his bus was being clocked to x1 instead, restarts usually fix the problem and usually don't. Now today he went to...
Hardware & Devices
Could this be a BIOS problem?
Hey all. I recently upgraded to Win7 from Vista. Suddenly, after the upgrade, my CD-DVD burner no longer burns cds (and i assume it no longer burns dvd, though i haven't checked). However, it can still read CD's and play DVD's with no problems. It just can't write. I checked and the drivers...
General Discussion
Win 7 - bios problem
good morning, I just upgraded my XP pro system with a OCZ Verted SSD and Win 7 -64 bit... I have upgraded the latest BIOS soft (v. 10 from Gigagyte), and the latest Intel storage matrix.....but I will have issues..... 1. the bios will not find the ssd disk, it will only find 1 of HD in...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+

Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App