Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Files associated with booting?

25 Nov 2009   #1
TheAnonymity

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 7600.16385
 
 
Files associated with booting?

Alright, I've got 2 partitions, one for XP, and one for 7. The XP partition comes before 7, therefore, if I delete it, I'll need to restore the MBR, as I learned in some of my previous posts. Is it possible, that I could just delete the operating system files, and shrink the partition to 100MB, while leaving the files associated with booting right there, and have my 7 partition boot perfectly fine? If so, which files should I NOT delete? ntldr.. etc.. Help would be appreciated.

~TA


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Nov 2009   #2
Mombodog

XP-Vista-W7
 
 

The boot files are located in the "Boot" folder on the root of the drive. If XP was installed before W7, then this folder will be on both partitions.

Removing XP and leave W7 bootable can be a trick, most likely the Xp partition is the "Active" partition, this can be verified in disk management.

What you can do, I just did it to my PC, in disk management, set the W7 partition as active, right click on the partition in the lower pane, select "mark as active"
Then, use easyBCD to rebuild the bootloader so you can remove XP partition.

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

once installed open easyBCD, go to the Add/Remove entries tab, highlight the XP entry, (may be called something else like previous windows) and hit the delete button.

Then go to the Manage Bootloader Tab, and tick the "reinstall Vista bootloader" radio button, then hit the "write MBR" button.

Now you can go back to disk management and delete the XP partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #3
TheAnonymity

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 7600.16385
 
 

Ah. Well, I already have EasyBCD, so, what exactly would I go about doing with it?

Edit: Nevermind, I read the rest of your post. >_>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Nov 2009   #4
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Delete the partition and re-size, then use the windows 7 install cd (assuming you even have one) to re-install the BCD. It should work, as it should find the Win7 OS and install the BCD accordingly! It's a feature you have for that "just in case" moment where you screw up. When you go do re-install the BCD just insert the Win7 disc at boot, when you get to the installer screen you have that "repair" option somewhere below, just click on that and you should get to a fix BCD option. If not here:

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

BAM it's that easy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #5
TheAnonymity

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 7600.16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Delete the partition and re-size, then use the windows 7 install cd (assuming you even have one) to re-install the BCD. It should work, as it should find the Win7 OS and install the BCD accordingly! It's a feature you have for that "just in case" moment where you screw up. When you go do re-install the BCD just insert the Win7 disc at boot, when you get to the installer screen you have that "repair" option somewhere below, just click on that and you should get to a fix BCD option. If not here:

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

BAM it's that easy.
I'm actually afraid to mess with this, because this is my only computer, and if I screw it up due to misinformation or misunderstanding, I'm screwed. So I need to be certain and have precise directions on how to successfully do this. Also note, my printer is broken, therefore I cannot print anything out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #6
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Well if you want, do a google search on making WinPE discs, they can help you out a ton when in this situation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #7
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi,

It is quite straightforward.

In Disk Management Rt click 7 partition and Mark it Active.

Run startup repair from the 7 dvd 3 times.

That's it.

After that , you can do what you like with the XP partition.



Hope it helps



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheAnonymity View Post
Alright, I've got 2 partitions, one for XP, and one for 7. The XP partition comes before 7, therefore, if I delete it, I'll need to restore the MBR, as I learned in some of my previous posts. Is it possible, that I could just delete the operating system files, and shrink the partition to 100MB, while leaving the files associated with booting right there, and have my 7 partition boot perfectly fine? If so, which files should I NOT delete? ntldr.. etc.. Help would be appreciated.

~TA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #8
TheAnonymity

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 7600.16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Hi,

It is quite straightforward.

In Disk Management Rt click 7 partition and Mark it Active.

Run startup repair from the 7 dvd 3 times.

That's it.

After that , you can do what you like with the XP partition.



Hope it helps
And you're absolutely SURE nothing can go wrong with this, if done correctly?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #9
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Yes.

Check in Disk Management now and see if XP partition is labelled System.

After you do the above steps and boot back into 7 - the 7 partition will be System.


You could do exactly the same using commands - there's no need as startup repair will do them for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #10
TheAnonymity

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 7600.16385
 
 

Yeah, my internet actually went down after my last post, but I wanted to let you know I've got it all sorted out now. Thanks for your help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Files associated with booting?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Suspected corrupt system 32 files preventing laptop from booting
Hi All, I have been stuck in the "startup repair infinite loop" as this forum seems to call it. I have tried the tutorial written by Dzomlija, but that was ineffective. I have no problems when going through the tutorial but the end result did not materialize. The sizes of the files listed in...
Backup and Restore
Windows not booting up. backup files not accessable.
Is there a way to access the backup and restore files on a hdd that won't boot up to the user login screen?
Backup and Restore
.wma files appears as .dat files in Temporary Internet Files folder
Hi, I am running IE8 on Windows 7 (Home Premium 64bit). My Temporary Internet Files folder is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5. I have enabled Show Hidden Files and Folders and removed the tick for Hide Protected Operating System...
Browsers & Mail
Issue booting Win 7, booting directly into XP & no boot manager
Hi, I just got a ASUS G75V series and updated it to windows 7 professional with Intel core i7. I was able to work with it and everything was fine until I had to install XP because some softwares are not compatible with Win 7 x64. I have Win 7 on drive C: and windows xp on drive E: which in...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot - Win7 and XP - Access denied to files when booting in Win7
Hi there, hoping someone can help... I've eventually managed to get a dual boot system going. I've installed Win7 on one hard drive and Win XP Pro on another. I've still got to figure out how to get a dual boot menu going, but in the meantime I press the F10 key during Boot-up of the machine...
General Discussion
HDD not booting up
Hi, I'm running Win7 on my PC 24/7, and I suspect that some of my SATA ports are failing. It takes 1-2s in the AHCI detection menu during the bootup to detect my HDDs when plugged into certain SATA ports. My boot HDD, a WD Caviar Black 2TB, was plugged into a suspected failing port, and when...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App