Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it possible? On a netbook?


29 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 
Is it possible? On a netbook?

Hi, i am back on the forums (finally!)
so anyways, i am currently selling my "Laptop" (in quotes for a reason and will see why) bcas i feel liek i want a netbook with cooler looks and plus i feel like im not using my laptop to the full potential. So i wanna use something similiar.
So i found this netbook. Its a HP Mini 110 and it has windows xp sp3 (i feel liek they should have windows 7 starter anyways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzd50yKqgg

it has a 1gb ram and i will upgrade to 16:9 aspect ratio 720p HD with hdmi port with a 3 cell battery (might consider to upgrade to 6 cell) with 160GB HDD Sata. It has Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 512KB L2, 533Mhz FSB)
so i was wondering if i can upgrade to 2GB ram (or not), is it possible to Install My Windows 7 home premium 32 bit (OEM) on it? Reason why is because since im selling my toshiba satellite a205-s4617 for $350 (look at the current specs) and i dont wanna add the windows 7 oem to that and i was gonna sell it to my mom (LOL) for her comptuer but she too poor so i thought...hey, i wonder if i can install it on the netbook (by using external dvd drive from a frnd)....so yeah


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Nov 2009   #2

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Hi.

1 GB is plenty and well more than you think. The netbook will run lovely with it even for video encoding and games (as best the gpu can handle at least)....meaning if you put 2, you will not feel or experience much of a difference.

Unless you truly like to have a million things open a time. Then that may be a little different.

If a notebook is currently not being used to "full potential", then 2 GB over 1 GB in a netbook will not offer you any benefit whatsoever. Save your money.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hi.

1 GB is plenty and well more than you think. The netbook will run lovely with it even for video encoding and games (as best the gpu can handle at least)....meaning if you put 2, you will not feel or experience much of a difference.

Unless you truly like to have a million things open a time. Then that may be a little different.

If a notebook is currently not being used to "full potential", then 2 GB over 1 GB in a netbook will not offer you any benefit whatsoever. Save your money.
well because like i dont wanna have my netbook run slow with windows 7 home premium 32 bit (OEM) lol

i just wanna use it for download music, videos, have pix, and stuff liek that


oh and can i use the netbook for stickam?
and what does "Broadcom(R) Crystal HD Enhanced Video accelerator with ArcSoft TotalMedia(TM) Theatre Broadcom(R) Crystal HD Enhanced Video accelerator with ArcSoft TotalMedia(TM) Theatre " do? like is this necessary to improve hd quality?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Nov 2009   #4

 

I've had a few netbooks and currently have a 10.1" Asus 1000H which has been modded regards larger storage and 2Gb of memory (the latter made an enormous difference when attempting anything demanding in video/audio conversion, and impacted very positively on synchronisation procedures...) and I have thrown Windows7 Home Premium onto it for curiosity - with complete success.

As I said, it was done out of curiosity as I actually need to maintain XP on that machine due to external working considerations. Accordingly I made a clone of my Windows7 installation, but ultimately reinstalled XP using a cloned partition image.

Bearing in mind this is an N270 Atom machine, the Windows 7 experience was surprisingly good, certainly better than anticipated, so I would not allow yourself to be put off from attempting a similar installation.

The largest hurdle is getting every inbuilt device recognised and compatible drivers installed, but even this doesn't take very long or challenge your skills too highly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #5

7264x64/7260x86
 
 

I have 7 on my asus netbook. Same Atom processors. Runs like a champ with 2 gigs. Don't know how it runs with 1 gig as I ordered the extra gig the same day ($30 bucks, why wouldn't you?).

Only thing that is sluggish is flash play.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #6

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
I've had a few netbooks and currently have a 10.1" Asus 1000H which has been modded regards larger storage and 2Gb of memory (the latter made an enormous difference when attempting anything demanding in video/audio conversion, and impacted very positively on synchronisation procedures...) and I have thrown Windows7 Home Premium onto it for curiosity - with complete success.

As I said, it was done out of curiosity as I actually need to maintain XP on that machine due to external working considerations. Accordingly I made a clone of my Windows7 installation, but ultimately reinstalled XP using a cloned partition image.

Bearing in mind this is an N270 Atom machine, the Windows 7 experience was surprisingly good, certainly better than anticipated, so I would not allow yourself to be put off from attempting a similar installation.

The largest hurdle is getting every inbuilt device recognised and compatible drivers installed, but even this doesn't take very long or challenge your skills too highly.
Benchmarks please?

I recently went from 1GB normal RAM to 2GB performance RAM and noticed absolutely no change in anything whatsoever except a nice meter with more space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #7

 

You want me to reload Windows7, just to provide you with benchmarks?

My earlier post makes it clear I habitually run XP on the netbook in question... and that I only loaded Windows 7 out of pure curiosity.

Why don't you go about convincing posters that 2Gb doesn't do anything more than 1Gb instead? As illogical as it sounds I'd say 1Gb is the sweet-spot for XP, however that would not be my opinion under Windows 7 due to the differing memory architecture, and randomisation in addressing memory (to provide enhanced security against hackers).

The reason I went back to XP was because some applications which act interactively with my employers mainframe won't work under Vista or Windows 7, otherwise I would have left it on.

One word of warning however. Battery life plunged under Windows 7, by about 25%. Also I forgot to mention the native WiFi card wouldn't work, and I had to fit a more recent and higher spec' Intel card.

Anyone with an Asus netbook can find out far more here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

so having a normal windows 7 home premium 32 bit (instead of starter edition)
i can use that netbook normally liek a laptop?

playing emulators? using stickam? things like that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #9

 

A netbook is a laptop, it's just downsized and usually has no optical drive. Other than that the processor is usually an Atom 1.6Ghz, so you are never going to get the raw power of a dual-core notebook.

These restrictions aside you are not limited in any way as to how you use Windows 7 HP and will be able to run anything the processor can handle, albeit all a little more slowly as compared to higher spec hardware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
A netbook is a laptop, it's just downsized and usually has no optical drive. Other than that the processor is usually an Atom 1.6Ghz, so you are never going to get the raw power of a dual-core notebook.

These restrictions aside you are not limited in any way as to how you use Windows 7 HP and will be able to run anything the processor can handle, albeit all a little more slowly as compared to higher spec hardware

well the netbook does have a 160gb hdd
and my laptop is a 1.66ghz duo core 2 intel
but hte netbook is an atom.
if u want, google "HP Mini 110"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it possible? On a netbook?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is it possible? On a netbook?
Thread Forum
Buy W7 for netbook? General Discussion
Whahe netbook has Squaretrade t if my netbook gets stolen on vacation? General Discussion
Netbook General Discussion
Asus EEe PC Netbook 1001PXD sound went bad Netbook had shutdown General Discussion
New Netbook General Discussion
Netbook very Hot Performance & Maintenance
Which Netbook? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33