Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't move items in folders.

29 Nov 2009   #1
Cthulhu

Windows XP and Windows 7
 
 
Can't move items in folders.

Whenever I drag things (Photos, music, etc.) they do not move. Is there some setting somewhere I need to check/uncheck?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Nov 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Whenever I drag things (Photos, music, etc.) they do not move. Is there some setting somewhere I need to check/uncheck?
Hi CT and welcome

we could use alot more info
Drag from where to where?
was the destination folder ever another OS?

right click the destination folder. go to properties>security and see wgo the folder is owned by

Let us know

Kenn J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #3
Cthulhu

Windows XP and Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Whenever I drag things (Photos, music, etc.) they do not move. Is there some setting somewhere I need to check/uncheck?
Hi CT and welcome

we could use alot more info
Drag from where to where?
was the destination folder ever another OS?

right click the destination folder. go to properties>security and see wgo the folder is owned by

Let us know

Kenn J+
Dragging items around in the folder, I can sort them alphabetical, by type, etc. but I cannot move them around manually. It goes for every folder I have, from my old PC and the ones I just made.

The folders belong to the following: "SYSTEM", "Will (Laptop\Will)", "Administrators (Laptop\Administrators)"

Will is the name of my account, so I assume that's me. And everything is checked except "Special permissions."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Nov 2009   #4
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Whenever I drag things (Photos, music, etc.) they do not move. Is there some setting somewhere I need to check/uncheck?
Hi CT and welcome

we could use alot more info
Drag from where to where?
was the destination folder ever another OS?

right click the destination folder. go to properties>security and see wgo the folder is owned by

Let us know

Kenn J+
Dragging items around in the folder, I can sort them alphabetical, by type, etc. but I cannot move them around manually. It goes for every folder I have, from my old PC and the ones I just made.

The folders belong to the following: "SYSTEM", "Will (Laptop\Will)", "Administrators (Laptop\Administrators)"

Will is the name of my account, so I assume that's me. And everything is checked except "Special permissions."
That ability is not included in Windows 7. There has been much discussion about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #5
Cthulhu

Windows XP and Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

Hi CT and welcome

we could use alot more info
Drag from where to where?
was the destination folder ever another OS?

right click the destination folder. go to properties>security and see wgo the folder is owned by

Let us know

Kenn J+
Dragging items around in the folder, I can sort them alphabetical, by type, etc. but I cannot move them around manually. It goes for every folder I have, from my old PC and the ones I just made.

The folders belong to the following: "SYSTEM", "Will (Laptop\Will)", "Administrators (Laptop\Administrators)"

Will is the name of my account, so I assume that's me. And everything is checked except "Special permissions."
That ability is not included in Windows 7. There has been much discussion about it.
... Really?...

That's just silly.

Thanks for clearing that up though. +rep
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #6
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

You should be able to move them manually, but they will go back to their location if you move them in the same folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2010   #7
Stan X

Windows 7 Professional 34-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Dragging items around in the folder, I can sort them alphabetical, by type, etc. but I cannot move them around manually. It goes for every folder I have, from my old PC and the ones I just made.

The folders belong to the following: "SYSTEM", "Will (Laptop\Will)", "Administrators (Laptop\Administrators)"

Will is the name of my account, so I assume that's me. And everything is checked except "Special permissions."
That ability is not included in Windows 7. There has been much discussion about it.
... Really?...

That's just silly.

Thanks for clearing that up though. +rep
I agree with you 100%... silly is the right word for this problem. This is a detail that should be added back into Windows OS, I cant see it being a tough fix at all considering that it has been in all of the previous Windows. This issue should definitely be something that Microsoft looks into, I hope that more people will recognize this and post about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2010   #8
Imperfect1

 
 

Apparently you CAN disable Auto-Arrange so that you can have FREE SORTING in Windows 7 Windows Explorer. See Brink's tutorial:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92758-windows-explorer-auto-arrange-disable.html

(And thanks to Boohbah for the information!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2010   #9
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

Well said perfect1 , its true it does exactly what it says on the tin .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #10
Stan X

Windows 7 Professional 34-bit
 
 

I'm glad that you guys have responded to my concern I appreciate it. I'm having some troubles with the process in that forum but I'm going to ask them about it. Thnx again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't move items in folders.




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Favorites: how to move sub-folders mixed with primary folders
I have somehow made a disastrous mess of my favorites. I looked online for answers to this problem, and all I can find for a solution is cut and paste. This makes no sense to me for this particular issue because there's no way to "un-indent" a sub-folder and move it back in line with the primary...
Browsers & Mail
Possible to move where pinned items are on taskbar?
I know you can pin programs to the task bar, but they are always aligned to the left. Is there any way to make them stay to the right, near the taskbar icons?
Customization
Can't move items onto desktop
I am able to copy and paste items onto my desktop. I can right click and create a new folder or text file on my desktop, I can move folders onto my desktop, but I can't move files from anywhere else on my hard drive to my desktop. Attempting to move a file to the desktop does not return any error,...
General Discussion
How to move taskbar sub-items in windows 7?
http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/Main/8/7/8771ede6-f395-44da-9364-5f42caba06ea/8771ede6-f395-44da-9364-5f42caba06ea.jpg Is it possible to move/drag those penguins to the left on windows 7? Regards
General Discussion
Q: Move Start Menu items into sub-folders
I have installed some programs that have added shortcuts (to their .exe files) to the Start menu and folders to the Start >> All Programs list. In XP. I moved these items into sub-folders, to keep things uncluttered and easy to navigate. e.g. I moved the sub-folder XXXX from C:\Documents...
Customization
How to move with items in group on taskbar?
I have some pinned icons on taskbar. For example I have icon of Delphi. If I have opened for example 3 projects, I can see 3 icons of Delphi with text (I use option Never combine taskbar buttons). But I have problem with changing order in 'delphi group'. If my computer go to sleep, or screen...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App