Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AHCI, can someone explain?

07 Dec 2009   #1
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
AHCI, can someone explain?

After some Google searching, I think I need a dumbed-down explanation: what the heck is AHCI? Is it a desirable setting?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Dec 2009   #2
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) allows you to hot swap drives. It also allows for native command queuing, which allows a drive to accept multiple commands at once, and also rearrange those commands to optimize performance. If you plan on hot swapping drives, it's something you should consider. Since it can also allow a drive to accept more than one command at a time, it can increase storage speed. If your system supports AHCI, and your drives support native command queuing, I suggest enabling it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #3
Qdos

 

Doesn't get any dumber than Wiki
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Dec 2009   #4
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Now I see people here saying that in order to switch, you need to do a clean install. What does anyone think about this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #5
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Doesn't get any dumber than Wiki
Except that the wiki entry doesn't actually bother to explain the concepts of NCQ or hot plug. That particular entry is pretty messy and would benefit from adding the actual explanations for the important components into the AHCI entry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #6
Qdos

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Doesn't get any dumber than Wiki
Except that the wiki entry doesn't actually bother to explain the concepts of NCQ or hot plug. That particular entry is pretty messy and would benefit from adding the actual explanations for the important components into the AHCI entry.
That was precisely why, in the context of dumb, I posted the link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #7
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Now I see people here saying that in order to switch, you need to do a clean install. What does anyone think about this?
Personally, I'd opt for a reinstall. I scanned that thread, and with the differences between chipsets, the lack of a proper reg file for certain chipsets, etc, it would probably be faster to just back everything up, switch to AHCI, and then do a clean install. Plus, that's a thread for XP - I wouldn't use it for a Windows 7 installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #8
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Doesn't get any dumber than Wiki
Except that the wiki entry doesn't actually bother to explain the concepts of NCQ or hot plug. That particular entry is pretty messy and would benefit from adding the actual explanations for the important components into the AHCI entry.
That was precisely why, in the context of dumb, I posted the link
Ah, I totally didn't get that. It's been a loooooooong day...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #9
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Now I see people here saying that in order to switch, you need to do a clean install. What does anyone think about this?
Personally, I'd opt for a reinstall. I scanned that thread, and with the differences between chipsets, the lack of a proper reg file for certain chipsets, etc, it would probably be faster to just back everything up, switch to AHCI, and then do a clean install.
Thank you for your input. I will wait and get a few more responses, but your post had been duly noted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #10
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Kegger can you enlighten us on what would make a RAID config worthwhile for Windows 7 since we are getting many problems with 7 install to RAID. Supposedly Intel suggests RAID config for AHCI (in the Wiki). How would that work?

Dude yesterday with SATA had IDE enabled but found AHCI choice in BIOS, then turned out AHCI driver was on mobo CD which he loaded into installer and fixed stall.

Should we even bother trying for AHCI if it is not in BIOS menu? Another way to enable it on mobo?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 AHCI, can someone explain?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cloned C:, installed AHCI drivers, changed BIOS to AHCI, D:'s GPT gone
see second post. I have a 3TB drive D: for data formatted with GPT. Had BIOS OnChip SATA Type set as "RAID" "As SATA Type" from back in the day. When I took out the RAID, I forgot to change this to AHCI when I reformatted and got rid of RAID drives! Changing to "AHCI" "As SATA Type" as...
Installation & Setup
No AHCI option in BIOS, is my computer default in AHCI or IDE?
I bought a brand new SSD, installed it in Windows 7, and there is no option in my BIOS for the SATA controller (to switch between IDE and AHCI Mode). How do I determine whether my computer's sata controller is using IDE or AHCI? I want to make sure that my AHCI controller is enabled and not IDE...
Hardware & Devices
Could someone please explain this .dmp
This is from a studio 1747 running 7 home premium and i'm at my wits end. It was originally a 1745 that suffered from water damage. I upgraded it with the 1747 0j507p mb and an i7 720qm cpu. i'm testing it with a copy of 7 home premium but it is going to end up with xp 64 bit. bios is A14 and i'm...
BSOD Help and Support
Can someone explain this to me please
This is the security log from my router. Do I have a virus or malware problem ? 192.168.2.4 is my laptop wireless connection. Your advice appreciated.
System Security
Please to explain.
Please to explain wht this error is. Its the only error in my event veiwer. ty
BSOD Help and Support
Intel Sata controler ICH10R AHCI + Jmicron AHCI error
Hi. I have the GA-EX58-Extreme Board and have just installed the pre release of Win7 7600 64 bit. Normally i have experience to get the BSOD when in staling with AHCI active in bios so i change to IDE mode. Installation went flawless and also the change to AHCI mode on Intel ICH10R controler...
Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App