Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Freezing

09 Dec 2009   #1
jamieresearch

windows 7
 
 
Freezing

And no, I'm not talking about the temps -- it was in the upper 80s here today in Florida!

Has anyone else had a problem with W7 just freezing for a few seconds at a time? Then it does a "hurry up and catch up" thing that drives me nuts. In other words, if I use my scroll wheel on my mouse, nothing will happen, and then all of a sudden after a few seconds, my document will scroll way down. Or if I'm typing, as just happened as I'm typing this note, I will be typing away with nothing on the screen, and all of a sudden this whole string of words will appear.

It's REALLY annoying when I'm switching applications with alt-tab.

Any advice?

Thanx,
Jamie


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Dec 2009   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
And no, I'm not talking about the temps -- it was in the upper 80s here today in Florida!

Has anyone else had a problem with W7 just freezing for a few seconds at a time? Then it does a "hurry up and catch up" thing that drives me nuts. In other words, if I use my scroll wheel on my mouse, nothing will happen, and then all of a sudden after a few seconds, my document will scroll way down. Or if I'm typing, as just happened as I'm typing this note, I will be typing away with nothing on the screen, and all of a sudden this whole string of words will appear.

It's REALLY annoying when I'm switching applications with alt-tab.

Any advice?

Thanx,
Jamie
Try the most common cause of this problem, first, uninstall your Anti Virus.If that solves the problem try MSE. from Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #3
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Not sure. Are you still running the video driver that Windows installed? If so, I would update to the latest driver from Nvidia/ATI and see if that helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2009   #4
jamieresearch

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Not sure. Are you still running the video driver that Windows installed? If so, I would update to the latest driver from Nvidia/ATI and see if that helps.
When I installed W7, hardly any of the drivers came with it. I had do d/l them all from HP, including the video driver. I'd imagine that would be the most recent, no? How can I tell?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #5
jamieresearch

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
And no, I'm not talking about the temps -- it was in the upper 80s here today in Florida!

Has anyone else had a problem with W7 just freezing for a few seconds at a time? Then it does a "hurry up and catch up" thing that drives me nuts. In other words, if I use my scroll wheel on my mouse, nothing will happen, and then all of a sudden after a few seconds, my document will scroll way down. Or if I'm typing, as just happened as I'm typing this note, I will be typing away with nothing on the screen, and all of a sudden this whole string of words will appear.

It's REALLY annoying when I'm switching applications with alt-tab.

Any advice?

Thanx,
Jamie
Try the most common cause of this problem, first, uninstall your Anti Virus.If that solves the problem try MSE. from Microsoft.


I use AVG; never had that problem on XP, but I know this isn't XP. What is MSE? I'm not familiar with that one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #6
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
When I installed W7, hardly any of the drivers came with it. I had do d/l them all from HP, including the video driver. I'd imagine that would be the most recent, no? How can I tell?
The driver that you have is probably okay, but you have not given your system specs, so I don't know what video you have. You should fill them in, in your UserCPL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #7
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
I use AVG; never had that problem on XP, but I know this isn't XP. What is MSE? I'm not familiar with that one.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #8
jamieresearch

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
When I installed W7, hardly any of the drivers came with it. I had do d/l them all from HP, including the video driver. I'd imagine that would be the most recent, no? How can I tell?
The driver that you have is probably okay, but you have not given your system specs, so I don't know what video you have. You should fill them in, in your UserCPL.
OK, I have to claim ignorance here. Where would I find this info (the specs) on my computer, and what is a UserCPL?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #9
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
When I installed W7, hardly any of the drivers came with it. I had do d/l them all from HP, including the video driver. I'd imagine that would be the most recent, no? How can I tell?
The driver that you have is probably okay, but you have not given your system specs, so I don't know what video you have. You should fill them in, in your UserCPL.
OK, I have to claim ignorance here. Where would I find this info (the specs) on my computer, and what is a UserCPL?
On the bottom left of your screen, you will see system specs. Click on it and fill in all the information that you can, about your computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #10
jamieresearch

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jamieresearch View Post
When I installed W7, hardly any of the drivers came with it. I had do d/l them all from HP, including the video driver. I'd imagine that would be the most recent, no? How can I tell?
The driver that you have is probably okay, but you have not given your system specs, so I don't know what video you have. You should fill them in, in your UserCPL.

Actually, I went to HP's site and think I found it. I did a custom install of W7 over Vista.

Here are the specs. Not sure what you need to know out of it, so I'm just giving you all of it. LOL

HP Pavilion dv7-1451nr Entertainment Notebook PC - Product Specifications - c01753033 - HP Business Support Center
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Freezing




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I have *freezing* on my PC
So, what kind of lag is that, its like under 1 second lag/freeze, I had it maybe one year ago, but suddenly it ended. Last week I bough new graphics card, I reinstalled windows, installed all new drivers, and now it all started, if im watching movie, movie freezes for like 0,5 seconds and so does...
General Discussion
Newly built computer random freezing and freezing on starting windows
I recently built my first PC three days ago... Specs: i7 bloomfield 960 processor 4x4 vengeance ram crosair hx850 PSU evga x58 ftw3 mobo hd 6870 radeon graphics xfx When I first installed windows it started to work just fine but I soon noticed that it would randomly freeze every 15-30...
General Discussion
Freezing PC
Hello to all, I am sorry if I have not post this in the right section or if I did not give enough detail. I have search the web and this site but I could not solve the issue. My PC is freezing in Windows 7 x64. Using the mouse or typing control/alt/delete does not work. I use it for Recording...
BSOD Help and Support
Freezing Please Help
Hi all i have this Problem with Paltalk a chat software i had it before It freezes my hole pc i format my pc and now i have it again this is the log Application Error Naam van toepassing met fout: paltalk.exe, versie: 10.1109.4990.0, tijdstempel: 0x4efcf2a6 Naam van module met fout:...
BSOD Help and Support
freezing up
so I built my pc about a year ago and sometime last year, i forget how long ago, the pc froze up unexpectedly. I tried restarting it but it would not even put out a video signal when I would boot it up. So I gave up on my computer for a few months and one day had my friend come take a look at it....
BSOD Help and Support
Freezing, help me!
My computer recently got eaten by a virus and i could not find my discs for windows, So i opted to go out and buy windows 7. It installed great and everything worked fine since tuesday, until tonight. I left my computer on while i went to work this morning to download a game from Direct to Drive...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App