Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 32bit xp to 64bit win7?


10 Dec 2009   #1

win7 pro
 
 
32bit xp to 64bit win7?

I had 32bit xp in my system. I did a full wipe and tried to install 64bit 7. It would not let me so I had to do the 32bit Windows 7. Did I do somthing wrong? Could I have used the 64bit disk? I really would like 64bit. What would I have to do?

ASUS M3A78-T
Phenom II x4 940 3.0ghz.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I had 32bit xp in my system. I did a full wipe and tried to install 64bit 7. It would not let me so I had to do the 32bit Windows 7. Did I do somthing wrong? Could I have used the 64bit disk? I really would like 64bit. What would I have to do?

ASUS M3A78-T
Phenom II x4 940 3.0ghz.
The first step would be to see if your computer has the specs for 64 bit. Go to Microsoft.com and use the Windows Upgrade Advisor. If you do have the required specs, you should be able to install.

If you can install, wipe clean, do not give your key, when asked, just continue with the process. After installation use it for a while, if satisfied install programs. After you know that you are good, supply your key number. At this point make a system image and put it in a safe place. You will be set, now. If a problem ever occurs you can use the system image to get up and going again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If I were you I would stick with 32-bit for now. In my experience, 64-bit has been far more troublesome than 32-bit. Now I must go, for I have spoken words of blaspheme and the 64-bit gods will be angered.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Dec 2009   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pat247 View Post
If I were you I would stick with 32-bit for now. In my experience, 64-bit has been far more troublesome than 32-bit. Now I must go, for I have spoken words of blaspheme and the 64-bit gods will be angered.
It is difficult to argue with the above opinion, because it is just that, an opinion. I am using 64 bit and have no problems, whatsoever. The primary benefit of 64 bit is the ability to use additional memory. If you cannot benefit from that feature 64 will not be benefit you to any great extent, now.

There is a compatibility mode in the rare event that you cannot find a driver, etc for Win 7 64 bit. In addition, in the relatively near future 64 will be the way to go. Applications, new computers etc will use 64 bit. The facts have been present the choice is yours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #5

win7 pro
 
 

LOL Pat. The system is running great. I did the performance check and got 7.9 on everything but drive. Ended up with a 5.9. Not too shabby. I only have it installed since yesterday. Maybe I will wait to start muckin with it LOL.

Thanks for the replies
Steve
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pat247 View Post
If I were you I would stick with 32-bit for now. In my experience, 64-bit has been far more troublesome than 32-bit. Now I must go, for I have spoken words of blaspheme and the 64-bit gods will be angered.
It is difficult to argue with the above opinion, because it is just that, an opinion. I am using 64 bit and have no problems, whatsoever. The primary benefit of 64 bit is the ability to use additional memory. If you cannot benefit from that feature 64 will not be benefit you to any great extent, now.

There is a compatibility mode in the rare event that you cannot find a driver, etc for Win 7 64 bit. In addition, in the relatively near future 64 will be the way to go. Applications, new computers etc will use 64 bit. The facts have been present the choice is yours.
Actually, 64 bit Windows has benefits that go beyond simply "additional memory", although added memory is a big draw-card.

Superior system performance, more secure system kernel, better memory management, better multitasking.

Even that which I mention here is only the tip of the iceberg. There is still WAY MORE to x64 than meets the eye....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Hi Stevo,

If your motherboard is capable of supporting that processor, then it should also be capable of supporting a 64-bit OS. As regards your WEI of 5.9, don't worry about it. Only the newer solid-state drives (SSDs) are capable of scoring higher.

As far as 64-bit support goes, Windows 7 is vastly improved on its Vista predecessor. In fact, on my system I don't need to provide any 3rd party drivers as all drivers are on the disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pat247 View Post
If I were you I would stick with 32-bit for now. In my experience, 64-bit has been far more troublesome than 32-bit. Now I must go, for I have spoken words of blaspheme and the 64-bit gods will be angered.
Troublesome? I have been running x64 of 7 since Beta 2. No issues for me directly tied to 64 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Retail
 
 

XP x64 was more troublesome... but at least it served to learn from
Not that I have ever tried XP-64 though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2009   #10

win7 pro
 
 

Thank you for the input. This is a great site. Very friendly and helpful people. I hope to get to know you all well. Just be forewarned I am 59 yrs old and had no formal training in computers. But i have dabled enough that I think I can get buy.

Steve
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 32bit xp to 64bit win7?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33