Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: os on 2 pcs


11 Dec 2009   #1

windows 7 home premium
 
 
os on 2 pcs

i have just upgraded from xp to win 7 home premium and was wondering if the liscence will let me put the operating system on an aging laptop that will be for my daughter to use.the laptop still runs xp but from what i have seen so far it would benifit running on windows 7. would be nice not to have to pay again.

cheers shane

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Welcome!
Nope, one install per license. You could call Microsoft and have them deactivate your current laptop, then you could put it on another one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #3

windows 7 home premium
 
 

may have miss read what you said but win 7 on my desktop not laptop .but why would you deactivate it to put on a laptop?

cheers shane
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi Shane,
I must have misunderstood. The license can only be used on one computer at a time. If you want to put the OS on a second machine, you first need to call Microsoft, so they can deactivate the first machine.
~Jonathan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #5

windows 7 home premium
 
 

just out of interest as i have now gone from xp to win 7 home is my old os automatically deactivated?
as the old laptop was given to me by a mate , i wanted to do a clean re install but he did not hav the disc .
so in effect i now have a os disc from my desktop pc that i could do a clean install or have i got to still ring up ?

my mrs just had a new laptop and that had no os disc with it but tells you to make a back up in case something happens in future . is this new practice? as every pc i had before always sent with os disc.

cheers shane
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

It entirely depends on the type of license. Bear with me, and I will try to summarize.

Upgrade license: can be used unlimited times, provided it is never on 2 machines at the same time.
Eligibility: must have existing OS first.
OEM license: Tied to one machine. Legally, you cannot use it on any machine other than the one it was originally installed on.
Eligibility: The machine it is installed on must be sold to someone else
Full Retail license: can be used on any machine, activated unlimited times. It cannot be used on 2 machines at the same time.
Eligibility: no stipulations
Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ninjaboy View Post
my mrs just had a new laptop and that had no os disc with it but tells you to make a back up in case something happens in future . is this new practice? as every pc i had before always sent with os disc.

cheers shane

yes most OEM's have been doing this since Vista, its actually a good thing, (providing your hard drive doesnt fail) as it should have recovery partition which will allow you to recover it much quicker than if you did it by disk, but make those backups just in case! my OEM partition went south after 1 reinstall on Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ninjaboy View Post
my mrs just had a new laptop and that had no os disc with it but tells you to make a back up in case something happens in future . is this new practice? as every pc i had before always sent with os disc.

cheers shane

yes most OEM's have been doing this since Vista, its actually a good thing, (providing your hard drive doesnt fail) as it should have recovery partition which will allow you to recover it much quicker than if you did it by disk, but make those backups just in case! my OEM partition went south after 1 reinstall on Vista
They've been doing it even before Vista, The XP that came with the desktop in my specs was on a recovery partition, no disks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

I'm not sure it is a good thing.

I would rather have a proper install disc than some oem partition/recovery disc riddled with unwantedware.

I would never buy a pc unless I had the proper install media.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

well while i agree with you about the crapware, even back when i bought a laptop with XP, the Windows disk i got with it, also installed the crapware, so to me, it makes no difference, thats why i like my nice shiny new windows 7 installation, its crapware free, as its just the Windows 7 disk and thats it

Quote:
They've been doing it even before Vista, The XP that came with the desktop in my specs was on a recovery partition, no disks.
ah my mistake, first time i saw it was on vista, didnt realise they were doing it for XP too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 os on 2 pcs




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33