11 Dec 2009
Yesterday I opened this thread about how to add a "Show Desktop" icon in the taskbar as in Windows Vista.
"Quick Launch" icon for the desktop?
A number of replies were helpful, and one referenced this solution:
Show Desktop Icon on Taskbar
1. Open Notepad by going to the Start Menu, choosing All Programs, Accessories, then Notepad.
2. Copy and paste the following into the new Notepad file:
3. Click on File and choose Save As.... In the Save as type field, choose All Files. In the File name field, copy and paste the following, then click on the Save button:
4. Navigate to C:\Windows by going to Computer, select the C drive, then double-clicking the Windows folder to open it.
5. In the Windows folder, locate the Show Desktop file you created. Drag the file down to the taskbar to pin it.
6. Go back to the Windows folder. If you can see the complete "Show Desktop.exe," proceed to step 7. If you only see "Show Desktop" without the ".exe" part, hit the ALT key on your keyboard to reveal the folder menu on the top left corner of the window. Click on Tools, then Folder Options. In the new window that pops up, select the View tab, and under Advanced settings, uncheck Hiden extensions for known file types. Press the OK button.
7. Rename the Show Desktop.exe file to "Show Desktop.scf" A pop-up message may show up, asking you if you are sure you want to change it. Click on the Yes button.
8. Hold the Shift key on your keyboard, right-click on the Show Desktop item in your taskbar, the choose Properties from the bottom of the menu.
9. In the Target field, delete the text already displayed and copy and paste the following:
10. Press the OK button. The Show Desktop icon should now be in your taskbar so that you can quickly get to the Desktop whenever you want. After a computer restart, the icon will look like the Show Desktop icon in Windows XP.
I have tried this approach, but when I get to step 3, I get the following error message, even though I am logged on in an "Administrator" account.
What am I doing wrong????
|My System Specs