Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 start problems


16 Dec 2009   #1

win 7
 
 
Win 7 start problems

Although I have experienced this only once in the 6 weeks I have been using Win 7 it's causing me concern.
Win 7 went thro' the self repair procedure to no avail & left me hanging.
No suggestion to start in safe mode & use restore.
No suggestion to use the backup disc I had been instructed to make after installation.
No suggestion to boot from the install CD.

As it happens I started to to do a re-install from my install CD when lo ............. the system mysteriously rebooted & no problems since.
But it sure does not look, like MS thought very hard about the problem should it occur, I could not remember how to start in safe mode & a prompt would have been most welcome.
But hey we have aero & other flashy stuff, so don't bother about basics that will come in Win 8 (or 9 maybe).

My questions:
1) How can I manage system restore from my desktop as was my method in XP?
2) Will F8 always allow a safe mode start, my last PC never responded to F8 or F10?

Thanks
Pete

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Dec 2009   #2

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

1. just type in system restore in the start menu's search window and select to open it's wizard. Choose the second option for the greatest number of restore points available and choose one. Make note of the program files that it will effect and click finish. All that is left is to wait for it to finish it's thing and then deal with any of the effected items as needed.

To insure that you will have an appropriate restore point available, it is recommended to creat one manually yourself frequently.

2. The key to use to enter the boot menu options is controlled by the BIOS/motherboard that you have. If it was F8 with a previous OS, it will be the same with Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I update from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate

& some times my Laptop gets stuck on Boot screen

where it says - "Press any key to boot from CD/Dvd ?

then I have to shut it & take out the Battery & then restart it

& then it loads Windows, but this happens some times

Anyone knows why or how i can solve this issue ?

Please
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Dec 2009   #4

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Are you trying to install Windows, or have you forgotten to remove the DVD before booting??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2009   #5

win 7
 
 
System Restire manually

You said: "To insure that you will have an appropriate restore point available, it is recommended to creat one manually yourself frequently."

OK I supose that makes sense but I note:
1) Apparently there is no provision for creating a regular (say every 3 days) restore point
2) I can't understanf why all my drives have systen protection turned OFF - what crazy default setting is this. When I attempt to turn ON I get a warning message that again I do not understand. Why provide an option that requires a warning?

God MS why so complicated - in XP you did not have to think & I want to get work done not constantly write to forums for guidance & advice.

@ days ago I wanted to change the dateon my PC so I brought from Control panel the only windo that appeared relevant. I could not make the change. From this windo I used Help ................. I might just as well not have bothered ............ a quick ionternet search gave me the very easy method.
But what's wrong with MS why was this simple method not detailed??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Are you trying to install Windows, or have you forgotten to remove the DVD before booting??
all working fine only 1 issue

When I do Windows update
I get - Error code 80070103

AVerMedia A317 Mini-Card Hybrid Analog/ATSC
does not install & gives me Erro
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by peterlonz View Post
Although I have experienced this only once in the 6 weeks I have been using Win 7 it's causing me concern.
Win 7 went thro' the self repair procedure to no avail & left me hanging.
No suggestion to start in safe mode & use restore.
No suggestion to use the backup disc I had been instructed to make after installation.
No suggestion to boot from the install CD.

As it happens I started to to do a re-install from my install CD when lo ............. the system mysteriously rebooted & no problems since.
But it sure does not look, like MS thought very hard about the problem should it occur, I could not remember how to start in safe mode & a prompt would have been most welcome.
But hey we have aero & other flashy stuff, so don't bother about basics that will come in Win 8 (or 9 maybe).

My questions:
1) How can I manage system restore from my desktop as was my method in XP?
2) Will F8 always allow a safe mode start, my last PC never responded to F8 or F10?

Thanks
Pete
On my desktop, I have a folder. It is called computer maintenance. In that folder I have shortcuts to System Restore, System Image and a few other essentials. Very easy to create, just click on the icon,seen when you type the name in search and then click send to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

You can also create an MMC console to key 7 snap-ins.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 start problems




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Win 7 start problems
Thread Forum
Start up problems!! General Discussion
Can't start up my computer. (Driver problems, BSOD, other problems) BSOD Help and Support
Start Orb Problems Customization
Start up problems Performance & Maintenance
Win 7 Start up problems General Discussion
Start up problems BSOD Help and Support
Start up problems General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33