Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to Partition Primary Drive


28 Dec 2009   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
You're welcome.

Anything else we can help you with?

Thats all for now. But I want to give an info about the same here. I see that, it allowed me to shrink only to the half size of the partition. i.e. 283 GB could be shrunk to only 140 GB., though it had only 17 GB of data.

Is this same when we try to shrink an extended volume?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2009   #12

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Should be...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Should be...

thats a lightining reply... hmm will try it for extended and update later..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Dec 2009   #14
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Venths View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
You're welcome.

Anything else we can help you with?

Thats all for now. But I want to give an info about the same here. I see that, it allowed me to shrink only to the half size of the partition. i.e. 283 GB could be shrunk to only 140 GB., though it had only 17 GB of data.

Is this same when we try to shrink an extended volume?

The reason you cannot shrink all the free space is the MFT sitting higher up on the disk. The windows shrink does not move that. There are programs that do, but every time I tried them i ended up with a mess, so I won't even recommend them. Here is a tutorial that explains the details: Working Around Windows Vista’s "Shrink Volume" Inadequacy Problems :: the How-To Geek
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

And my Laptop is DELL. I copied the factory image to a DVD and tried re-installing windows so that I can partition from the setup menu. But this OEM version of Windows did not show me any option to Edit partitions .

So, i have a plan to boot with a evaluation copy and then partition the drive. Then, i can later install the factory image.

Any alternative suggestions??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Right, the installation/repair DVDs you burnt from the recovery partition maintain the status quo as far as partitioning is concerned. You need a real installation disk to define partitions. But I would leave D alone unless you really want to delete it (which is not a good idea - I think).
Why don't you just shrink C and make an E partition from the free space you gained (if that's what you want to do). That can be done with Disk Management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Perfect Disk10 can move these system files further in with its offline defrag allowing more room for shrink can't it?

I/E disable and delete the Hiberfile,Pagefile, Temp files, & System Restore points. You re-enable after the shrink.

Run a full de-frag, and then run a system/offline defrag and reboot?

I was thinking it would, please correct me if wrong.

It seems this method worked for me to get more of a shrink on an already partitioned OS drive at one time, but it very well may be different in the OP's case, as mine were already partitioned and I wasnt shrinking it as much.


I know its a paid program but they do offer full funtionality trial for 30days. just a thought.

The only other suggestion i can think of is something like Acronis. It will do the job, but it too will be a trial if you do not own it already. Although this may or may not be a good idea in your case.

--->> I think whs may have the best advice in your case.

Simply make a E drive and go with its offering as is. Much easier and far less chance of a problem.
Especially considering you dont really have the option of a Clean install redoing all partitions to your liking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Perfect Disk10 can move these system files further in with its offline defrag allowing more room for shrink can't it?

I/E disable and delete the Hiberfile,Pagefile, Temp files, & System Restore points. You re-enable after the shrink.

Run a full de-frag, and then run a system/offline defrag and reboot?

I was thinking it would, please correct me if wrong.

It seems this method worked for me to get more of a shrink on an already partitioned OS drive at one time, but it very well may be different in the OP's case, as mine were already partitioned and I wasnt shrinking it as much.


I know its a paid program but they do offer full funtionality trial for 30days. just a thought.

The only other suggestion i can think of is something like Acronis. It will do the job, but it too will be a trial if you do not own it already. Although this may or may not be a good idea in your case.

--->> I think whs may have the best advice in your case.

Simply make a E drive and go with its offering as is. Much easier and far less chance of a problem.
Especially considering you dont really have the option of a Clean install redoing all partitions to your liking.

I have already tried all the above as they have already informed me tha same. However, i didnt not perform "system/offline defrag". How would i do that ?

Further, i don think this C: drive will allow shrinking to our requirement as it must have some pre-defined space for the partition... ???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Right, the installation/repair DVDs you burnt from the recovery partition maintain the status quo as far as partitioning is concerned. You need a real installation disk to define partitions. But I would leave D alone unless you really want to delete it (which is not a good idea - I think).
Why don't you just shrink C and make an E partition from the free space you gained (if that's what you want to do). That can be done with Disk Management.
yeah, i too thought it won't be a good idea to perform complete deletion of disk. But just checked if there will be any alternative. Thanks for your reply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Venths, I am somehow lost on what you are trying to accomplish. Could you restate the goal again. I am sure it can be done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to Partition Primary Drive




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33