Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will a Win7 prod key work for 32 and 64 bit versions?


28 Dec 2009   #1
J32

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit DE
 
 
Will a Win7 prod key work for 32 and 64 bit versions?

Hello,

for now I have a notebook that is not 64bit compatible. Therefore I will purchase a Windows 7 32bit systembuilder version. Should I upgrade my hardware in the future with something that supports 64bit software, will my 32bit Windows 7 product key work with the 64bit version?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2009   #2

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by J32 View Post
Hello,

for now I have a notebook that is not 64bit compatible. Therefore I will purchase a Windows 7 32bit systembuilder version. Should I upgrade my hardware in the future with something that supports 64bit software, will my 32bit Windows 7 product key work with the 64bit version?
Hi J32! I would upgrade your hardware to 64-bit compatible, as 32-bit is slowly being wiped out (like XP) and 64-bit is getting used more often. The transition from 32 to 64-bit won't be complete till a few years later, but it's best to be futureproof. As for the product keys, 32-bit keys will work just fine with 64-bit. As long as they are the same version (e.g. 32-Bit Home Premium key will only work with 64-Bit Home Premium etc.)

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped, please click the scales at the top right of my post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #3
J32

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit DE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZeshanA View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by J32 View Post
Hello,

for now I have a notebook that is not 64bit compatible. Therefore I will purchase a Windows 7 32bit systembuilder version. Should I upgrade my hardware in the future with something that supports 64bit software, will my 32bit Windows 7 product key work with the 64bit version?
Hi J32! I would upgrade your hardware to 64-bit compatible, as 32-bit is slowly being wiped out (like XP) and 64-bit is getting used more often. The transition from 32 to 64-bit won't be complete till a few years later, but it's best to be futureproof. As for the product keys, 32-bit keys will work just fine with 64-bit. As long as they are the same version (e.g. 32-Bit Home Premium key will only work with 64-Bit Home Premium etc.)

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped, please click the scales at the top right of my post.
Well for know I can't effort to upgrade my hardware to 64bit. And my notebook is still good enough for my needs. But of course I will upgrade my hardware in the future. I do so every 4 to 5 years.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Dec 2009   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by J32 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZeshanA View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by J32 View Post
Hello,

for now I have a notebook that is not 64bit compatible. Therefore I will purchase a Windows 7 32bit systembuilder version. Should I upgrade my hardware in the future with something that supports 64bit software, will my 32bit Windows 7 product key work with the 64bit version?
Hi J32! I would upgrade your hardware to 64-bit compatible, as 32-bit is slowly being wiped out (like XP) and 64-bit is getting used more often. The transition from 32 to 64-bit won't be complete till a few years later, but it's best to be futureproof. As for the product keys, 32-bit keys will work just fine with 64-bit. As long as they are the same version (e.g. 32-Bit Home Premium key will only work with 64-Bit Home Premium etc.)

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped, please click the scales at the top right of my post.
Well for know I can't effort to upgrade my hardware to 64bit. And my notebook is still good enough for my needs. But of course I will upgrade my hardware in the future. I do so every 4 to 5 years.

Thanks.
Yeah, that's OK, 32-bit is still supported but try to upgrade your hardware whenever it's possible.

ZeshanA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Hi

If you are looking buy OEM.

A "Must Read" for OEM license users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #6
J32

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit DE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Hi

If you are looking buy OEM.

A "Must Read" for OEM license users
As far as I know it is different in Germany. A court ruled that stores are allowed to sell OEM and systembuilder versions of windows to the enduser, which then are allowed to use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will a Win7 prod key work for 32 and 64 bit versions?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Will a Win7 prod key work for 32 and 64 bit versions?
Thread Forum
Is there a work around if Win7 x32 setup file wont work on Win7 x64 Software
Previous Versions doesn't work (System restore) Backup and Restore
Clarification on Win7 versions and keys. Windows Updates & Activation
win7 versions General Discussion
why microsoft launches too many versions of win7 General Discussion
which versions are avilabe of win7 Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33