Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Partition (Moving User files and folders)


01 Jan 2010   #1

Window 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 
Partition (Moving User files and folders)

I have a partition on my hard drive and i would like to move my user files e.g. My Documents, pictures, videos etc.
I was wondering can i just drag the folder "Users" to the partition.
So basically I would like to know how i get the "Users" folder over to another partition.

Rep will be given thanks so much guys


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jan 2010   #2
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Can I know what is the reason to do that?

Is it that you want move users folders to reinstall your system and move your documents back?

Or it's for active Windows, you just don't want your Users folder on system partition?

They are different scenarios so answer will differ.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #3

Window 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Well basically I would like to seperate all programs/software and windows installation files from my user folders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Jan 2010   #4
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

ok, I found it.
It's for Vista but it will be the same to Windows 7 aswell

Move your user files and folders to another partition | Windows Vista for Beginners

First read it all and then do it. (it's really easy and explained very well)
Hope it will help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #5
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjwilson94 View Post
Well basically I would like to seperate all programs/software and windows installation files from my user folders.
Just copy and paste. U may copy the entire folder, or the contents of the user folder in a custom folder in the other os. I think it is wise to do so bcoz if for any reason a formatting becomes unavoidable, the personal data (obviously they are precious) wouldnt lost.

I also do the same thing. In a drive other than c, I created a few folders naned pictures, documents, clips, musics, etc... and back my user data up categorically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #6

Window 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Thanks alot Jav please add me as a friend as I find your advice very helpful. Rep coming your way
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #7
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Just copy and paste. U may copy the entire folder, or the contents of the user folder in a custom folder in the other os. I think it is wise to do so bcoz if for any reason a formatting becomes unavoidable, the personal data (obviously they are precious) wouldnt lost.

I also do the same thing. In a drive other than c, I created a few folders naned pictures, documents, clips, musics, etc... and back my user data up categorically.
On this option you only have copies of your files.
So it has 2 main drawbacks:
1. You have duplicates of your foldes, which mean 2 time more wasted space
2. You had to manually copy folders (synchronise them manually). Every now and then.

In the option I gave you.
It moves it's location. So it will delete old folder (so you have only one copy, means no wasted space)

And it will redirect all future access to that folder. Meaning it will automatically synchronise itself. (freeing you from worry and effort to keep copying your user folder every 1-2 days)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #8
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjwilson94 View Post
Thanks alot Jav please add me as a friend as I find your advice very helpful. Rep coming your way
You are welcome =)

And I sent you friend request.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #9
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Just copy and paste. U may copy the entire folder, or the contents of the user folder in a custom folder in the other os. I think it is wise to do so bcoz if for any reason a formatting becomes unavoidable, the personal data (obviously they are precious) wouldnt lost.

I also do the same thing. In a drive other than c, I created a few folders naned pictures, documents, clips, musics, etc... and back my user data up categorically.
On this option you only have copies of your files.
So it has 2 main drawbacks:
1. You have duplicates of your foldes, which mean 2 time more wasted space
2. You had to manually copy folders (synchronise them manually). Every now and then.

In the option I gave you.
It moves it's location. So it will delete old folder (so you have only one copy, means no wasted space)

And it will redirect all future access to that folder. Meaning it will automatically synchronise itself. (freeing you from worry and effort to keep copying your user folder every 1-2 days)
Really! But I didnt know that there is such a simple way. I hope if I pass more time with experts like you in this forum, my computing must be better. Every time i am learning more and more new techniques to handle the computer in a better way. I feel myself lucky that I an in this forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #10

 

In Windows7 just right-click your My Documents, My Pictures, My Favorites, Etc user folders and click 'include a folder' and add the new location (Eg; D:\My Documents).

Once more than one location appears you can then delete the original location.

You will need to take ownership of the new folders to get proper functionality
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Partition (Moving User files and folders)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Partition (Moving User files and folders)
Thread Forum
Best method for moving user folders to another partition? Customization
Moving User Folders - additional folders appear Customization
Solved Moving user folders; User picture error Customization
User Folders - Moving User Folders by Modular Script Tutorials
User Folders - Allow or Prevent Moving Location Tutorials
Moving user folders Customization
Moving user folders Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33